Buying my first bike this summer. Have a few minor issues, help appreciated - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Buying my first bike this summer. Have a few minor issues, help appreciated

Well this is my first post here, so I'll introduce myself. I'm Ryan, 18, and a freshman at USF. I live at home and commute to school (about 10-15 minutes away with no traffic) and spending 50 on gas a week with driving to and from school, work, girlfriends house, etc, is depressing. I've always loved and envied motorcycles but never gave any serious thought into buying one until about a month ago. One of my co-workers bought an R1. No, I am not looking for an R1 or anything even close to power output of such a machine....I'm not trying to go fast, I just want a more economical way to get around...and safely. I will buy an appropriate riding jacket,gloves and helmet....I think i'll stick to jeans and safe foot wear...I dont think riding boots will be a necessity for me.

With that said, I have looked into the Ninja 250R...sexy looking little bike. My only worry is that I will need to take my bike, whichever i buy, on the interstate to get to school. It's only a length of 2 exits that I have to travel but after reading up on the 250, at 80mph the engine is running at almost 9,000 revs...that just scares me lol. Is it ok to ride the bike at a constant 80mph (average highway speed here in Florida) for 2 exits before getting back on city streets? Also, I am 5'11 and weigh 170...is my size appropriate?
And would you recommend any other bike for me over the 250?

Over the summer I am taking the course to get my license, before I buy my bike. What is the difference between this course, and the MSF course? or are they the same?

Thanks a lot and sorry if my questions seem a little newbish!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 08:54 PM

I started street on a gs500f in 2004, after teenage db experience.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

teenage db experience?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain-N-Panic View Post
teenage db experience?
Dirt bike.

The Ninja 250 will be fine on the interstate. You can run it all day at 80 mph with no worries. It will top out around 100mph with two people on it. That's the bike I would recommend for you - kudos for thinking of it on your own. You'll really enjoy getting 60-70 mpg.

-
"We didn't trade shoves; I did all the shoving." -Bobby Knight, 1981
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

oh man...60 mpg...that puts a big grin on my poor college kid face haha. I have done my fair share of reading and research on bikes of all sorts. From the reading I have done..I know a 600 is just not for me right now. I have a lot of respect for the power of these machines, so I think i will be better off starting on a 250 and ride it for at least a year, maybe two, before putting a bigger engine between my legs.

My other question is on insurance. In the state of Florida, insurance is not legally NEEDED if you do not finance the bike. I will most likely buy my 250 used as they are all over the place on craigslist in my area. Is insurance really recommended?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 12:54 PM

Liability insurance is still required, right? Carrying comprehensive and collision depends on how handy you are, and what crime is like in your area. If you can fix it up if you dump it then you could leave off those. You still have to worry about theft though. Even a 250 is a target, and two guys can lift one into a truck in about 10 seconds. It really just comes down to rates for your particular situation.

-
"We didn't trade shoves; I did all the shoving." -Bobby Knight, 1981
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

I'm not sure about the liability insurance. My friend who bought the R1 told me that insurance is not needed in Florida and that was all. I guess I will have to do further research in that area...I'm not however worried about theft as it will be garage kept at my home. Plus I will mainly be using it to ride to work (i work at a car wash and can keep it in the lube department), my girlfriend's house(keep it in her garage) and school, which i will be parking in the parking garage. On a college campus, probability of theft (in my opinion) is minimal.

**just did some quick research, liability insurance is NOT needed in the state of florida unless i am the CAUSE of an accident, than i must purchase it and keep it for a minimum of 3 years.

Last edited by Pain-N-Panic; 04-05-2010 at 01:29 PM. Reason: information
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeeney View Post
Dirt bike.

The Ninja 250 will be fine on the interstate. You can run it all day at 80 mph with no worries. It will top out around 100mph with two people on it. That's the bike I would recommend for you - kudos for thinking of it on your own. You'll really enjoy getting 60-70 mpg.
He is correct I was referring to dirtbike experience. I didn't get email notification. I'll pm you shortly.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain-N-Panic View Post
I'm not sure about the liability insurance. My friend who bought the R1 told me that insurance is not needed in Florida and that was all. I guess I will have to do further research in that area...I'm not however worried about theft as it will be garage kept at my home. Plus I will mainly be using it to ride to work (i work at a car wash and can keep it in the lube department), my girlfriend's house(keep it in her garage) and school, which i will be parking in the parking garage. On a college campus, probability of theft (in my opinion) is minimal.

**just did some quick research, liability insurance is NOT needed in the state of florida unless i am the CAUSE of an accident, than i must purchase it and keep it for a minimum of 3 years.
NO INsurance is required the catcher is if you in an accident and at fault and can't pay for damages they take your license.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode