Sportbike World banner

new rider

5K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  kanwisch 
#1 ·
Hey yall. Im new to motorcycles and im not sure what to get. I rode my friends GSXR 600 and loved it. So i was thinking about gettin a gsxr 600 or a yamaha r6. What do yall think? I cant affford a GSXR 750 or 1000 or r1. Any ideas? If it means anything im 6'1 and 170

Thanks
Seth

#2 ·
Get a turbo 'busa

-or-

give us some details about your riding background so we can actually give you some useful input.

Oh, and welcome :cheers:

#3 ·
i have zero experience. I rode a gsxr 600 for a day and thats about it. ive been lookin on craigslist and all i can find are suzukis and yamahas. im assuming a busa is a hayabusa and i cant find any of those around my area. (san antonio)

#5 ·
Welcome :cheers:

#7 ·
Its kinda interesting that this topic is the only one that really elicits that kind of response here. Other places I've seen questions about oil, gear, and "first wheelie" elicit those same responses. I wonder if the reason is that the number of these we see are so overwhelming in quantity that everything else seems unusual. Heck, there's a thread going on regarding cheap 1000RR's that even has "appropriate starter" discussion and its on a non-bike site.

#8 ·
I just get pissed off when people show up "asking for advice" when really they're just hoping we'll validate the decision they've already made.

#9 ·
Wow sorry yall. Like i said im new and i talked to people and they said start out small so im trying to see what options i have because im pretty sure i dont know whats all out there. Again sorry for trying to learn. Yall can stay on your high horse. Go fuck yourself snakesht

#10 ·
Well Sef, what all of us veterans want to say, but 80%+ of the newbie riders don't want to hear, is that even a "little" 600cc supersport bike (like the GSXR 600, R6, ZX-6R, and CBR 600RR) are even too much for a new rider. The reasons for this have been explained an endless number of times on this forum and you'll find many of them contained within the new rider stickies here. Unfortunately, as Snake alluded to, many new riders already have in mind what they want and have done a thorough job of convincing themselves what they are capable of handling. Hence, the sage advice dispensed by the experienced riders here often goes unheeded. As a result, many of us, myself included, are a bit jaded when we see the "What's a good bike for a newbie" question.

Some rookie suitable rides you might want to consider are:

Kawasaki Ninja 500R
Kawasaki Ninja 650R
Kawasaki ER-6N
Suzuki SV-650S
Yamaha FZ-6R

Welcome and good luck!

#16 ·
Well Sef, what all of us veterans want to say, but 80%+ of the newbie riders don't want to hear, is that even a "little" 600cc supersport bike (like the GSXR 600, R6, ZX-6R, and CBR 600RR) are even too much for a new rider. The reasons for this have been explained an endless number of times on this forum and you'll find many of them contained within the new rider stickies here. Unfortunately, as Snake alluded to, many new riders already have in mind what they want and have done a thorough job of convincing themselves what they are capable of handling. Hence, the sage advice dispensed by the experienced riders here often goes unheeded. As a result, many of us, myself included, are a bit jaded when we see the "What's a good bike for a newbie" question.
Could you post the reasons? I can not find them in this forum. I am very curious in finding out.

#15 ·
Alright alright, time for a chill please.

#17 ·
Did you look at the stickies? The venerable slaintedan's stickie thread addresses it. Chris Sedition is one of my favorite posters on the subject so you can do your own search in the New Riders forum to find them. Or just start hitting threads in that forum for one or two pages. You're pretty likely to come across a synopsis (lengthy discussions were abandoned long ago as a waste of time).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.