Transition from cruiser? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

Transition from cruiser?

Hi everyone, just stumbled upon this webside while researching sportbikes for shorties. So I searched for my question, read all the newbie info, and am now asking y'all!! Please don't eat me alive!

I am a newish rider, around 5 months. I currently ride an '85 250 rebel (which physical size-wise has been pretty good), but I am tired of pouring money into it. And don't like that I can't ride the 10 minute freeway hop to work, there is a stretch that the speed limit is 70, which i have no problem NOT going, but feel that I can't accelerate out of the way if I need to. The mechanic states that the rebel has it's groove arount 50-60, and is working hard to maintain a faster speed. Anyway, we are looking at getting an old vstar (650) as a next bike, but I also want to get a sportbike, just like the way they look better. And want plenty of time to get used to this type without making it my daily driver.

Sooo, the actual question is-how totally different is it going to be on a sportbike compared to a cruiser? Obviously different! We were looking in the 500cc range, but it seems that a lot of vets here recommend 250 range. I have absolutely no problem getting an old used ninja 250 to get used to sportbike ropes. And I am still a beginner anyway. But until I read all your threads, I was really thinking a 500.

So, will it be major differences in cruiser to sportbike? Yes I am short, and have read a lot here about shorter bikes, and ways to lower...

Thanks for the replies!

Excited about joining the sportbike crowd!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 03:47 AM
Strength and Honor

First, welcome

Second, if you're thinking that you want to take the sportbike on the road where speeds exceed 70mph..... I can't believe I'm recommending against it... you probably should be looking the 500 instead of the 250. There have been some who indicated the 250 lacks the power to really hold their own on the Interstate. Since I don't have direct experience, I'll assume that's true. I did own a 500, though, and know that will work just fine. Be sure to find one that has the seat height you need, obviously. And if you're hoping to avoid maint costs, look to as new a model as your budget can afford. However, if mileage is a consideration, there was a recent re-make of the Kawi Ninja 500 that actually reduced the gas mileage so you might want the model year newer ('07ish) instead. Parts are a-plenty for the previous generation since it was so long running.

As for the difference between a cruiser and sportbike, check out zxrider's recent response to a Harley rider. You can draw some conclusions from it, I think.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

wow thanks so much for the great info and so speedy! Yes, not being able to do the short hop on the freeway is a concern for me. Thanks for not eating me alive with that! and I will definetly check out the link you provided, thanks!!

dream

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 04:44 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-to.dream... View Post
wow thanks so much for the great info and so speedy! Yes, not being able to do the short hop on the freeway is a concern for me. Thanks for not eating me alive with that! and I will definetly check out the link you provided, thanks!!

dream
Its not my style, and generally not the style of most members here

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

Once again thanks, guess I ran across too many threads from newbies wanting 1000cc bikes as a first go... =-)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 10:48 AM

Ninja 500R

I agree, a used Ninja 500R would suit you well. It'll be a big step up from the Rebel 250, but the Ninja 500 is a very forgiving and easy to ride bike. It'll easily handle Interstate travel, as it can run at 70 mph all day long.

Additionally, at 30.5 inches of seat height, the Ninja 500R is one of the shortest sportbikes on the market, making it easier for shorter riders to manage.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode