Which size of bike would be better - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Which size of bike would be better

Hey whats going on,
Im looking at buying my first bike that i will own, i have ridden a 05 Harley Dyna wide glide its a 1600cc motor and i have been ridding it around for almost a year. I 20 years old almost 21 and i have taken the motorcycle safety course a couple of months ago and i do not push the bike to any limit that i know i would not feel comfortable on because my life is more important than the bike, but i would like to continue ridding it so i do not do anything stupid on it. i just ride for fun and to go cruising. Im looking at a Triumph Daytona 675 and also a yamaha R1. I want a bike that i can go cruising through the mountains with, and not be over or underpowered through the turns cuz i heard that the 1000's have problems with that( idk from experience i was just told). I do not plan on topping my bike out or racing, more to just cruise and hang out with my buddies.Im 6'2 190lbs and i also want to get a bike that im not going to look like i im to big for the bike also and comfortable. I have ridden an R6 and ninja 636 and the R6 was comfortable and the ninja my wrists were sore after ten minutes of ridding. I was told a 600 is a great bike to learn on but i was also told that if you can ride the Dyna wide glide you can ride almost anything, and a buddy told me that a 1000 would be ok if i just respect the bike because its really different. I was planning on upgrading to a 1000cc at some point but i was wondering should i just go with that now and skip the 600 class or still go with the Daytona 675 and do a litre bike later on. I just wanted to see what other peoples opinions are.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Strength and Honor

I won't treat you like a New Rider since you've been on the street a bit. But I will contest the idea that you'll outgrow a 600. That's nonsense. If what you mean is that you'll get bored with how fast off the line it is, well then perhaps, but you might as well consider jumping all the way out to a 1600. And no, I'm not recommending that nor do I think its a good idea.

If you're into leisure riding I would argue that NO supersport bike is right for you. You'd be better off with other "sport" bikes like an Interceptor, F4i, Z1000, SV650, 650R, etc, or even better, a sport tourer.

Additionally, wrists shouldn't hurt when riding because you should be gripping the tank with your legs and using your abs to help hold you up. Your hands are not on the bars to hold you up. This is a common misconception. If you recall from your MSF class, your elbows should be at least partially bent at all times so you can leverage the bars in either direction without shifting your whole body around just to take a simple turn. Well, that's pretty damn hard if all your weight's on your wrists. This whole situation is far less difficult on bikes designed for the road, which I identified earlier. Supersports are designed for the track, not really the street.

All that said, it is my opinion that a liter bike (1000cc or more) would be a poor choice. Further, dropping and crashing a supersport is VERY expensive because the body panels are muy expensive. Standard sports are less costly up-front, in insurance, and in repairs.

Oh, and welcome

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

I know a Harley compared to a sport bike is going to be like night and day, I appreciate the input that's why i posted on here, i just wanted someone elses opinion. I really want to get a Daytona 675, but i was just curious about the 1000, i have never been on one and from what i have heard they are pretty intense unless you respect the bike. that just what i was told. At some point after a couple of years of owning a bike i would like to upgrade to a 1000cc

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 08:05 PM

Harley vs. sportbike

To be perfectly honest, any Harley is a friggen joke compared to a 600cc or up sportbike. The 675 Daytona will literally have twice as much horsepower as the Dyna Wide Glide you're talking about, weigh 200+ lbs less and have braking and handling capabilities you can't even begin to comprehend after riding a lead sled like that.

Quite frankly, if you go from a limited experience of riding a Harley, to a full blown Jap literbike, you are going to have your ass handed to you. Way too much bike.

As a previous post suggested, I would stick to something a bit more manageable, (but still far superior to the Harley experience):

Suzuki SV-650S
Kawasaki Ninja 650R
Kawasaki ER-6N
Yamaha FZ-6R

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode