R6 or R1? It's been 5 years... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
HUS

Send a message via AIM to HUS Send a message via Yahoo to HUS
R6 or R1? It's been 5 years...

I know, I know, the age old question...which bike should I get? Here's my history, I've owned:

*1988 Honda Hurricane 600
*1994 Honda CBR600
*1994 Kaw ZX-750
*1996 Kaw ZX-7R
*1998 Suzuki TL1000R
*2000 Ducati 748

I sold the Ducati in 2004 and that was the last time I've ridden a bike. I had my first kid then and was 25. Now I have 3 boys and will be 31 next month Anyway, I've somewhat kept up with the progressions that sportbikes have made but I know that doesn't compare to being on one. So, I'm loving the looks and sound of the 2009 R1 but I also never owned a bike with this kind of power in the past. Since I haven't been on a bike in 5 years, should I start over on the R6 and work my way back up? Or just go for the R1?

I'm a careful rider who does the Sunday twisty road stuff. I care nothing for drag racing a bike or red light to red light blasting. I care nothing for stunts. I did track days and weekend curve riding in the past. I've taken training courses and yes I've done the Deal's Gap thing a zillion times. I just want to be back on a bike. I'm almost 31, 6ft tall and over the 225lb mark. That's why I'm unsure if the R6 is a good fit given my wieght to bike's power ratio. I know that I would never reach the full potential of the R6, but you guys know what I mean. Thanks for the input.

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. "
- General George Patton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 04:18 AM
Strength and Honor

There is no reason you can't just get onto the R1 with your experience. If you're looking for reassurance, I'll give it to ya! Keeping the fact that you have a family to support in the back of your mind at all times, you'll find, ensures you'll take the early days slow so go for it

All that said, if you're thinking of getting back to the track, you might reconsider depending on the track. Some really favor 600cc bikes, though some of the liter bikes (1000RR) are getting pretty close in cornering capability to the 600's. Just a consideration to take into account. With all those people sucking money out of your accounts, I'm guessing you'll have one shot at the right ride and it'd suck to get one that you find doesn't suit your long-term as well as you'd like.

Most of all, welcome back

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
HUS

Send a message via AIM to HUS Send a message via Yahoo to HUS
Thanks. That's pretty much how I was feeling. I love the R6 but I'm afraid I'd get use to the power pretty quick and want to upgrade anyway. As far as the trackdays go, I doubt I'll do too many but maybe a day every once and a while at Barber's since it's only a little over a hour away. However, my wife kinda has the final say so I may end up on a R6 anyway, but that'll be fine to

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. "
- General George Patton

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 02:56 AM

What kan said, especially about keeping your family in mind when your head starts to make your wrist do silly things.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 08:13 PM

R1!

I totally agree here. Go with the R1. You won't regret it.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode