GMax Helmet Question - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

GMax Helmet Question

Anyone have any experience with GMax Helmets? I'm thinking about getting This one. I've read a few reviews and they all say pretty much the same thing... "They couldn't believe that a helmet that's less than $250 could be that high quality." "Cost isn't always everything." etc... I tried one on today while I was checking out the local dealers. It felt on the light side but not like the Arai or Shoei helmets. But I love the look of it and I like the huge amount of vents on it. It was really comfortable too. But anyone ever have any issues with them in the past? Am I going to get what I pay for if I go with this? Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 03:38 AM
Strength and Honor

Nope, never heard of the brand before. Its got the DOT stamp, which is all you technically need. The competitors you mention usually have SNELL or ECE approvals, but there is some question about the value of those standards so YMMV. If the helmet fits you, is comfortable, within your price point, and you like the looks such that you'll actually wear it, then go for it.

The number of vents is a trade-off, typically, against the amount of noise the helmet blocks or creates. Be sure to wear earplugs if you're going to ride for more than, say, 15 or 30 minutes.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I hadn't heard of them either. I saw one sitting on the shelf at the dealership where I was looking at bikes and thought it looked nice. I couldn't believe the price though. I came home and looked them up online and found that a lot of online shops have them too. And like I said, every review I could find from various online magazines just raved about them.

I didn't think about the noise those vents would make. I'm a former BMX racer and mountain biker and I'm just starting the process of getting my motorcycle license. On a BMX bike or mountain bike we never really got going fast enough for the vents on a helmet do do much but let hot air out. I didn't really notice much "flow" through the vents. Not enough that I could hear anyways.

If I'm not mistaken, the GMax I tried on did have the SNELL rating on the DOT label on the back too so I think they carry both. (Not 100% sure though)

Thanks for the help.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonKerr View Post
Thanks. I hadn't heard of them either. I saw one sitting on the shelf at the dealership where I was looking at bikes and thought it looked nice. I couldn't believe the price though. I came home and looked them up online and found that a lot of online shops have them too. And like I said, every review I could find from various online magazines just raved about them.

I didn't think about the noise those vents would make. I'm a former BMX racer and mountain biker and I'm just starting the process of getting my motorcycle license. On a BMX bike or mountain bike we never really got going fast enough for the vents on a helmet do do much but let hot air out. I didn't really notice much "flow" through the vents. Not enough that I could hear anyways.
If I'm not mistaken, the GMax I tried on did have the SNELL rating on the DOT label on the back too so I think they carry both. (Not 100% sure though)

Thanks for the help.
At 60 mph the dynamics change and you can hear wind that wasn't making a sound while sitting still. Basically with no blowing wind (0 mph wind speed), riding at 60 mph equates to same effect as standing still in 60 mph winds.

As for the helmet, if you like it then go ahead and get it. Personally I didn't like the feel of the gmax helmets I've tried; it just wasn't comfortable to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode