Looking for advice from female riders if possible... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Looking for advice from female riders if possible...

I'm a 22 yo female and I'm thinking about getting a bike. My boyfriend has a 2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 and I know for sure I don't want something with that much power as a starter bike. But spending time on/around his bike, I know I can pick it up from its side and have done some "rocking" exercises on it. I would really like to have a GSX-R 600, but he says that would even be too much for me to start on. The thing is, I don't want to start on, say, a Ninja 250 then move up to a 500 or whatever, then a 600 - I don't have that kind of money to just keep buying and selling bikes, if you know what I mean. Does anyone have any experience starting out on a 600 + bike who can give me some advice. Also, I plan to take the motorcycle safety class before doing any serious riding.

Thanks for any help you can give!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 07:36 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by wv_redhead View Post
I'm a 22 yo female and I'm thinking about getting a bike. My boyfriend has a 2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 and I know for sure I don't want something with that much power as a starter bike. But spending time on/around his bike, I know I can pick it up from its side and have done some "rocking" exercises on it. I would really like to have a GSX-R 600, but he says that would even be too much for me to start on. The thing is, I don't want to start on, say, a Ninja 250 then move up to a 500 or whatever, then a 600 - I don't have that kind of money to just keep buying and selling bikes, if you know what I mean. Does anyone have any experience starting out on a 600 + bike who can give me some advice. Also, I plan to take the motorcycle safety class before doing any serious riding.

Thanks for any help you can give!!
I recommend u go ahead and get ur 600. People say start with a 250 as a first like i was told also. Its dumb my opinion. I wud have been so pissed if i listened to em. My first bike was a 2008 ninja 600 which i got 3mths ago. And i hadnt riden before in my life except for durin my motorcycle class which was only for 2 days and a year ago. My zx6 got stolen last mth and i was able to ride it a lot within the last 2 mths dat i was goin to upgrade if i had a chance. Well fortunately it got stolen and im about to go pick up a yamaha R1 end of this wk. Its about how u ride. And u'll get tired of the 250 in wks which will be throwin money in a garbage truck. Kinda like in the sprint commercial. Go get ur 600 girlfriend. Plus i know girls ur size wit 600 as their first bike Gudluck.

Keep a bad chick with a bad chick with her!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for input!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
I recommend u go ahead and get ur 600. People say start with a 250 as a first like i was told also. Its dumb my opinion. I wud have been so pissed if i listened to em. My first bike was a 2008 ninja 600 which i got 3mths ago. And i hadnt riden before in my life except for durin my motorcycle class which was only for 2 days and a year ago. My zx6 got stolen last mth and i was able to ride it a lot within the last 2 mths dat i was goin to upgrade if i had a chance. Well fortunately it got stolen and im about to go pick up a yamaha R1 end of this wk. Its about how u ride. And u'll get tired of the 250 in wks which will be throwin money in a garbage truck. Kinda like in the sprint commercial. Go get ur 600 girlfriend. Plus i know girls ur size wit 600 as their first bike Gudluck.
I disagree. See stickies.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

What about the Suzuki GZ250? See, I know it sounds ridiculous, but I don't want I bike - even a starter - that I don't like the looks of. The GZ250 doesn't look too bad, but when I typed it in to eBay to see what used ones run, I couldn't find any. Are they a newer model? Or does anyone know where would be a good place to look for a used one?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 05:07 AM
Strength and Honor

I am unfamiliar with that model but am sure it would be great. Choosing a bike that's your style is fine, I wouldn't recommend otherwise. Just remember there are very good chances you'll drop it and/or crash it, so don't get too attached to the looks. Check out gixxer.com to see if they have info on the model for more community feedback.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post
Check out gixxer.com to see if they have info on the model for more community feedback.
Will do. Thanks!!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post
I disagree. See stickies.
I disagree too. You should follow the advice of experienced riders, not that of someone who's been riding for 3 months. Would you let a 16-year-old tell you what kind of car you should get based on his driving experience?

-
"We didn't trade shoves; I did all the shoving." -Bobby Knight, 1981
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeeney View Post
I disagree too. You should follow the advice of experienced riders, not that of someone who's been riding for 3 months. Would you let a 16-year-old tell you what kind of car you should get based on his driving experience?
I'm sure if she wanted and mustang and the kid recommended a mustang she would.

Watch out for super rider cygnus ya'll. He's definitely badass, started out on a 600 and outgrew it in 3 months.

Riding is more than just making it go straight and coming to a stop

You don't want a gsx-r1000 but you want a gsx-r600? What do you think the difference in the two bikes are? A 600 may seem to be close to half what a 1000 is but that's not the case. In reality, off the track they aren't much different. They are both race bikes with sharp handling, they will both go like a bat out of hell with the ever so simple twist of the wrist, and they are both unforgiving to rider error. Power wise a 600 is in the 120 HP area while the 1000 is in the 150 HP area. A difference of about 30 HP which isn't much when your already at 120 HP. Aside from the 30 HP they are same bike.

For reference the ideal beginner bike, which still can and does get new riders hurt and/or killed, is in the 30-50 HP area.

Do whatever you want, it definitely won't kill me. Just iterating that if you don't consider the 1000 a good first bike for you the 600 is hardly any different.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 12:38 PM

Your boyfriend is right. Start on a 250. People (like Cygnus) go on about outgrowing smaller bikes quickly, but I'm willing to bet you could ride a 250 for five years and never be able to out-RIDE it, never be able to push it to its absolute limit.

Cygnus - Wow, man, you're such a bad-ass. Outgrew a 600 in 3 months, so it's time for a litre bike? Hope your life insurance is paid up, wanker.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode