Need some honest opinions - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Need some honest opinions

Hi guys. Ive been reading all the stickies about good first bikes, what to look at, what not to look at, etc... also been reading about the crashes and how they happen. Seems to be a mix of careless people in cars and cyclists thinking they have more experience than they do. Im looking at a 2001 yamaha R6 tomorrow, much contemplation has gone into this decision and I want to hear your opinions. I am 19 years old, I am looking to buy my first street bike and have riden a two other bikes. my friend owns a 650 cruiser and my other friend owns an 89 FZR1000. ive riden the cruiser for a while and felt fine on it, not any issues at all. Rode the FZR and wasnt the most comfortable but the bike was heavy and fast as hell. So i only rode that a bit and didnt push it because i am new to riding. Ive been riding dirt bikes since i was 12, done time trial racing with my bike but thats in the woods and i know the roads are very different. I am super confident on any dirtbike or dual sport bike riding in the trails. Up to now ive owned 4 dirtbikes and have loved every minute of riding them.
The only bike i have owned that i can use on the road is a 87 honda Xl250. Dual sport i guess you could call it. Rode that a while on the streets by my house nothing to far cause it was only an aircooled 250cc bike.

Well now this is where i guess i have to make a choice. i am going to be riding mainly by my house and into my town near by which is a 15 minute ride all on backroads really. But, i also on occasion like to visit relatives and friends who live about 3 hours away and school(college) which is 4 hours away. im trying to figure out if i want a cruiser or a sports bike. ive riden them both and they each have their pluses and minuses. I felt the cruiser you had an 'easier' riding position in terms of being comfortable my first time out, however i felt the handling was slightly lacking and did not feel 100% comfortable taking tight turns. The sport bike i rode had a bit better brakes and better acceleration and i felt handling was different so i cant really compare the two.
I want to know your opinions about if you guys think R6's are ok for long rides or no. Like what exactly makes them no fun to ride for a while, or am i completely off base? Also, what do you guys think about my owning an R6 as my first real sport bike with the previous experience i have described.

I also just wanted to mention that I am taking the MSF course in two weeks just to make sure i know how to make the proper and safe turns and braking routines. As far as looking for a sportbike for speed, I am certainly aware that any bike can kill me but the temptation to go fast is much higher on a high preformance bike. I have gone fast in cars, gotten my share of speeding tickets and i have learned to cool off. Mostly for two reasons, one because i cant afford to get another speeding ticket and two because it is not fair to others to be stupid on the road and im putting myself in danger.

So i just wanted to hear some thoughts.
And if you guys say that getting an R6 is something i should not look into, ill put my freakin desire for the nice R6 im looking at tomorrow away and will truely listen to what more experienced riders than me have to say. I am not ready to end my life at my age because of my own fault on a bike so i want to make the right choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 03:12 AM
Strength and Honor

Well, you should get the bike for you given the research you've done and the warnings posted about inappropriate bikes.

If comfortable style is a strong consideration, I would actually recommend against a supersport because they're designed to be ridden in full tuck and on the track. The better options include ones like the SV650S, 650R, and the recently released FZ6R. There are others that suit that need, as well, that have fewer fairings and thus are less painful for the pocketbook when you drop it the first time.

By the way, top speed and engine displacement aren't the markers of newb danger. The way in which the engine makes that power is what can kill an inexperienced rider. This is why supersports are discouraged as starter bikes. Well, that and we'd like you to ride safely for longer than a year.

You need to factor in gear cost and insurance into you plans.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 09:59 AM

I am 17 years oldor and for my first bike i got a 2006 gsxr 600 instead of the 250r. I love the gsxr. I was scared i would out grow the little ninja in a short period and have to go to the pain of selling it. With me buying my bike i respect it and dont do any of that crazy sh**. Its all about throttle and clutch control. If you make the bike go slow it will. Ride safe and WEAR YOUR GEAR.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steele38 View Post
I am 17 years oldor and for my first bike i got a 2006 gsxr 600 instead of the 250r. I love the gsxr. I was scared i would out grow the little ninja in a short period and have to go to the pain of selling it. With me buying my bike i respect it and dont do any of that crazy sh**. Its all about throttle and clutch control. If you make the bike go slow it will. Ride safe and WEAR YOUR GEAR.
Maybe should read kanwisch's post.

Of all the newb crotch rocket riders that crash or dump the bike, how many were trying to go fast? Virtually none! Which brings to light, how can an inexperienced rider expect to control/tame something they have no experience with? One can try but a lawyer can try to fix a locomotive engine as well with equal results.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 08:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catback View Post
Of all the newb crotch rocket riders that crash or dump the bike, how many were trying to go fast? Virtually none! Which brings to light, how can an inexperienced rider expect to control/tame something they have no experience with? One can try but a lawyer can try to fix a locomotive engine as well with equal results.

This post comes across to me that you are saying someone without any experience on a "crotch rocket" are destined to go down/wreck/have an accident no matter how much they 'respect' the bike or how mature they are. When I say go down/wreck/have an accident, I am referring to anything from dropping it at a red light cause it's too tall for you to burning it in someones yard because you came into a turn way too hot.

Am I interpreting that correctly?

http://www.bikerplanet.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode