Chinese Sport Bikes - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Chinese Sport Bikes

I'm looking to potentially purchase my first sport bike. Intended use would be joy riding with friends. I'm not really interested in buying a bike for speed, etc.

A friend of mine just purchased his first bike: a Lifan lf 200. As some of you might know, it's manufactured by a Chinese company. I myself started looking into Chinese made sport bikes because of the money factor. I've tried to do some research on these bikes and I have seen a lot of negative feedback. However most of the time it's a person saying "these bikes are crap" with no explanation.

So can anyone with some experience on/around Chinese sport bikes give me some helpful feedback? Below are some links to 2 ebay auctions for different Chinese sport bikes that i've been looking into.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 04:43 AM

Having done a lot of work with Chinese suppliers in the automotive and heavy equipment industries, my recommendation is not to buy a Chinese bike. The quality of their manufacturing is just not up to par yet. We've had numerous problems with substandard metals and poor welds in our products, and the problems were consistent among different suppliers. Imagine if you're riding down the road and a car pulls out in front of you, and during your panic stop the front brake lever breaks off in your hand because the casting was bad. You just never know what kind of quality you're going to get, and that's not a risk you should take on a bike.

Even though the Lifan is nice and shiny and brand new, you're better off buying a used Ninja 250 for that money. It will hold its value better and be more reliable. Another thing to consider is that Chinese bikes are not supported by a real dealer network. They are mostly sold by small companies whose primary business is not bikes. If they go out of business or stop selling the bikes, where will you go if you have a problem or need parts? Even the Ebay seller has told you upfront that if there is a problem, you're screwed:
Quote:
All Sales Are Final, AS-IS. We DO NOT exchange, replace or service bikes. 30 day limited parts warranty for manufacturer defects only. Labor is NOT covered. (If replacement parts are required for repair during the warranty period, please return the defective parts to us at your cost.)

-
"We didn't trade shoves; I did all the shoving." -Bobby Knight, 1981
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 05:33 AM

I have very limited experience with chinese motorcycles, but I know about chinese steel. I'm a welder that travels around fixing power plants, oil refinerarys, and some parts of steel mills. I can tell you for a fact that anything that comes from china is inferior. A lot of the welds I make get X-rayed (high pressure boiler tubes) and Chinese metal will show up differant. I've found air bubbles and dirt trapped inside the metal, and I've seen good welds crack because of the inpurities in the metal. Just something to think about, considering the whole bike will be made of chinese metal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode