contrasting 600cc in-line fours - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

contrasting 600cc in-line fours

I was hoping you could help me compare the zx6r, cbr600rr, r6, and gsxr-600. Iím hoping to spend between $5,000 and $6,500 on a 05 thru 08 model. Some back ground on my riding: I have been riding for about 3 months and 2,500 miles on my first bike, an 01 svs 650. I took the MSF class and received my license endorsement prior to purchasing the sv. After the MSF class I took about 15 additional hours of safety training. I then attended California Super Bike School to begin learning cornering where I rode an 07 zx6r. At first I was intimidated by the inline four. However, I ended up being the most improved rider of the two day camp. I did keep the bike in fourth and third gears in order to concentrate on cornering. I found track riding exhilarating and fulfilling but feel that sort of aggressive riding belongs on the track.

My plan is to continue learning on the sv for another year before considering a 600cc in-line four. I have worked on threshold braking and general strategies for safety around cars. I am beginning to work on down shifting and rev-matching. Even though the plan is to wait a year before getting a different bike, Iím beginning to familiarize myself with the bikes and their market. I plan on seeking out additional track training on the sv. If/when I get an in-line four I plan on spending a significant amount of time at the track because I feel the riding I experienced at Super Bike School really belongs on a track only. However, Iím also considering using the bike on the streets without pushing the envelope.

What I gather from my internet research is that the zx6r is comfortable, has the advantage of a slipper clutch, and good mid-range power. However, it is heavier and may be slower to lean over. Also until 07 the zx6r tachometer is generally maligned. The cbr600rr is small, light, and very flickable. However, it doesnít have a slipper clutch. Iím wondering how important it is for me to get a slipper clutch. Can I add an after market one to the cbr600rr? The riding position on the cbr600rr may not be comfortable on the street but the cbr600rr has good mid-range power. The r6 sounds impractical for me because you need to keep the revs so high that it makes street riding impractical and may gain unnecessary attention from law enforcement. The mid-range power is poor as well. Also, Iíve read the seat height on the R6 sounds like it is very high. I donít know that much aboug the gsxr-600. It sounds like a reasonable bike. However, I wonder about the front end diving on the gsxr-600 while braking like my sv which I donít like.

I apologize for the lengthy post, however, I wanted to include some context for my question. I should add Iím 5í7íí 155 lbs. Iíd probably want to lower the bike a couple inches to make street riding a bit more easy. The 07 zx6r was a tad too tall for me. Thanks for your insight.

Msurk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Of the bikes you listed the only one I haven't ridden is the Kawi. I own an '05 GSX-R600 and love it. I'm just a shade taller and heavier than you and have never had any issues with the height of the bike.

The CBR600RR that I rode was another awesome bike. It was lowered, so the handling was a bit off, but it was still a very nice bike.

I am not fond of the R6's, since they seem to have an awkward feel in the clutch and lack the smooth power of the other bikes.

Many of the regulars on here seem to swear by Kawasaki. Having never ridden a kawasaki bike, I can't provide any input one way or the other. But in my ~6 years of riding, I've tended to gravitate towards Honda and Suzuki.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 04:50 PM

They're all nice bikes, you just have to find the one that fits you better than the others. As you've read the R6 is really a track demon and isn't catered to street riding like the others.

Your height shouldn't much of an issue, I'm about the same height and ride all those bikes at stock height. After you gain experience and confidence not being flat footed on both feet won't be a big issue.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesht View Post
Many of the regulars on here seem to swear by Kawasaki. Having never ridden a kawasaki bike, I can't provide any input one way or the other. But in my ~6 years of riding, I've tended to gravitate towards Honda and Suzuki.
It's 'bout time you stopped being a squid and join team 'saki, the water is nice over here
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 05:25 AM
Strength and Honor

And the water's not yellow, like the 'zuki kiddie pool either

Anyway, the slipper has saved me a time or two so I really like the inclusion of it with my bike ('05 kawi 636), but only on the track. Having had it for quite a while, I actually don't care for riding it on the street anymore, probably because I know what it can do when opened up at the track and street fun has just waned. Now I want a bike with low-end for the street and easier ergos for riding further, so the FZ6R's on my radar.

Sit on all of them. They all feel different with feet up on the pegs, and rearsets adjusted properly (where possible). The posture and sit will probably be most important for a while anyway. If you're learning the hanging off technique try that out too, if there are two guys around to hold onto the bike while you're on it.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode