help for an atypical rider - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Question help for an atypical rider

Ok so here's another "first bike" post for someone who's a bit different. I'm a 6ft female in the market for a sportbike and my pricerange is around 4k. I've rode around on 125cc dirtbikes and have taken an MSF cerified course. I want to step up to a sportbike but don't know where to start. The bottom line is that I'm going to need something with enough aggression to keep me entertained, but not something with power I'm never going to tap into. I'll get bored with something like a Ninja 250 in a matter of days. Because of my lack of experience I've accepted the fact that I'll probably lay it down or do something else stupid to scuff it up. My first bike doesn't need to be perfect... the second or third one does.

So my question is what would be a good starter bike that will show me a good time but not break the bank (besides a sv 650). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezely View Post
Ok so here's another "first bike" post for someone who's a bit different. I'm a 6ft female in the market for a sportbike and my pricerange is around 4k. I've rode around on 125cc dirtbikes and have taken an MSF cerified course. I want to step up to a sportbike but don't know where to start. The bottom line is that I'm going to need something with enough aggression to keep me entertained, but not something with power I'm never going to tap into. I'll get bored with something like a Ninja 250 in a matter of days. Because of my lack of experience I've accepted the fact that I'll probably lay it down or do something else stupid to scuff it up. My first bike doesn't need to be perfect... the second or third one does.

So my question is what would be a good starter bike that will show me a good time but not break the bank (besides a sv 650). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
A 650R would fit the bill.

A 250 or a 500 would be a better beginner bike though as you already know. What most beginners don't know however is that the long lasting fun that one can get from riding doesn't come from the bike but instead the places you take the bike. I personally get tired of a bike itself once I get the feel for how it rides, which doesn't even take a day.

It's your money but I always suggest new riders learn on cheaper used learner bikes for many reasons. Everyone knows the "it's cheaper or hurts (mentally) less if you drop it" but it's also cheaper if you find you hate street riding, it's also cheaper than buying the wrong bike for the type of riding you discover yourself wanting to do (supersports don't make good long distance road trip bikes).

Whatever you do, keep the rubber side down and remember you ride the bike, the bike isn't supposed to ride you.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

what is your reasoning behind the 650R?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 04:23 AM
Strength and Honor

650R is the market competitor to the SV650, so the same reasoning applies. I will throw out the FZ6R as well, since its now in that same market space. All are decent beginner bikes because they make nice, even power and are less likely to buck you when the revs are up and you do something it doesn't like, unlike the supersporst (R6/1, GSXRs, ZX6/10R, 600/1kRR).

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 06:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to saturntangerine Send a message via Yahoo to saturntangerine
You're probably built a lot like me (at 5'10" and all legs). I find that the worst part of finding a bike is trying to cram my 35" inseam legs into the little bitty spaces between the pegs and the gas tank.

Given your experience, you will probably be fairly comfortable (confidence-wise) on most of the bikes. I finally went SV650S after sitting on pretty much every other 600-size bike. If I went the SV route, I wanted the 1k, but the "wrong" bike came along at the right time and right price, and I couldn't be happier about my purchase.

I have heard a lot of great things about the 650R, but I've never ridden one myself.

Ultimately, it's going to come down to what you feel comfortable sitting on, and what you want to do with the bike. I still regret selling my old GS500 that was my first personal streetbike, but that realization didn't come until I bought another bike that I despised...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

so far I've been suggested the 650R, Sv650, and FZ6R that all run pretty parallel. Thanks a bunch guys I'm already scoping the specs. of these models are there particular niches or problems that seem to pop up repetitively?

Is there anything else I should keep my eyes peeled for? I intend to mainly use it for riding up the switchbacks and cruising in town... maybe track, but that's down the road a bit. no touring involved for this girl.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturntangerine View Post
You're probably built a lot like me (at 5'10" and all legs). I find that the worst part of finding a bike is trying to cram my 35" inseam legs into the little bitty spaces between the pegs and the gas tank.

Given your experience, you will probably be fairly comfortable (confidence-wise) on most of the bikes. I finally went SV650S after sitting on pretty much every other 600-size bike. If I went the SV route, I wanted the 1k, but the "wrong" bike came along at the right time and right price, and I couldn't be happier about my purchase.

I have heard a lot of great things about the 650R, but I've never ridden one myself.

Ultimately, it's going to come down to what you feel comfortable sitting on, and what you want to do with the bike. I still regret selling my old GS500 that was my first personal streetbike, but that realization didn't come until I bought another bike that I despised...
haha yep all legs. 36" inseam
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 04:34 AM
Strength and Honor

Early models of the sv650 were carb'd so if you do your own work that might have an impact on decision making. The FZ6R is brand new for this model year, so I doubt there are known issues out already. To get a feel for enthusiasts frustrations I'd recommend bike-specific forums, presuming no one here throws any out.

SVRider
"Kawasaki Forum" for the 650R
No recommendation for the FZ as I haven't researched the bike yet

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 07:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to saturntangerine Send a message via Yahoo to saturntangerine
Well, I came to the SV after riding an inline 4 for about 4 years (and before that I rode everything from a V4, to a single cylinder to a parallel twin) and the thing that I have had the hardest time getting used to is what I perceive to be the insane amount of torque the Vtwin has. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the torque, but you get used to doing things a certain way, and the SV is still fairly new to me (I've only logged 3k miles on it and still learning). The SV <3's corners... I STOMPED a guy on an R1 on some corners on my SV, and I wasn't even trying. Needless to say, he still talks about it today... "I've never seen a girl who could dust me on that road!" LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode