boots....debating - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

boots....debating

i went from wanting a short riding boot...

to wanting a full race boot.

I still haven't made my purchase yet.
I've done my searches around the web.

From this forum, i was told in a boot, i should look for
-ankle protection
-heal protection
-toe protection

I was originally going to go buy the Sidi Vertigo Air.
HOWEVER, I found out that people were buying another boot....
called Daytona Evo Security over Sidi, Puma, Alpinestar boots. Reason being people blew out their ankles because of the "lack of enough" security in the ankle area?

Because I haven't spent the $$$ on a boot yet, i might actually just save up and go for the Daytona. But I am a new rider, and it really doesn't make sense to get such an expensive equipment....or it does makes sense...cause people who broke their ankle and no longer walk will give their nuts to have their ankles back...

I am not sure. These boots will set me back 900bucks +. It also doesn't seem to have Shin protection like the Sidi does. I don't know if Shin protection is really an issue with riders.

Inputs please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Strength and Honor

Input: Cost is directly proportional to the race-readiness of the vast majority of boots.

Race-ready boots aren't fun to walk around in. Period.

If you are going to want to wear these boots into stores and walking around town/the mall, then race-readies are not what you're probably going to want.

If you plan to spend most of the time running curves and tracks or at least not walking around in them, I would recommend race-ready boots.

As for brand, Sidi and A* are good enough for many riders including racers, and the prices of those boots is WELL under 900. So don't drop that kinda coin on boots.

PS: If you opt against race-ready boots give us a few that you're looking at and we might be able to provide some feedback on the models.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 12:44 PM

Yeah, what he ^ said.

If you get something that you can walk around in, you'll be more likely to wear them every time you get on the bike. I've got a pair of Sidi Vertigo boots. They don't have all the protection of a race boot, but I can wear them anywhere.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

what is considered a race boot?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 06:17 PM

Sidi considers the Vertigo a race boot. I'd feel confident recommending those. I have a set of Sidi Vertebras that I've owned for a while, and love them. In fact, I need to replace them, and am unlikely to look at anything but another Sidi.

By the way, I've crashed in these boots and still have two functioning ankles. And ankle breaks where you end up really fucked up are the exception rather than the norm, I'm thinking. I've broken one in the past and seem to still be walking.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

boots i consider would include

Sidi Vertico Corsa or Vortice
Alpinestars SMXplus

or pretty much any boot that has an actual ankle brace.

I heard tecknic boot was good too...not sure.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 06:13 PM
Strength and Honor

Sure, technik's (sp?) are a fine manu. The SMX+ are what I would qualify as a full-on race boot. As are the Sidi vertebra's. The vertigos are more street friendly, as my friend Down Under suggests.

Other considerations from the grapevine:
Sidis can run a bit narrow
A* are wider than Sidi's

That said, I wear a EEE in dress shoes but wore Sidi's (the original Vertebra's) as my starter boot. I'm in Oxtar's now, but they were forced out of business for ripping off some patents from Sidi Got 'em on the cheap, as did many, many others

If you can't buy them locally having tried them on, choose an online vendor who will let you exchange w/o paying a restock fee and has the boots you would consider for purchase.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode