Small 5'3 Female Looking for right bike. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Small 5'3 Female Looking for right bike.

Ok how many times have you heard this one. So my deal is aggravating my gloves are Kids, my helmet is a xs my jacket is a s it's so difficult.

I've been ridding cruisers for years now I'm ready to switch. I've ridden bitch way to long. Time to get on my own 2 wheels.

So here's the deal I currently own 2 bikes
Kawi Vulcan 500 2003
Kawi Ninja zx6rr 2003

The Vulcan is perfect i can touch and feel comfortable.
The ninja even lowered I can't fit. Plus putting in links is out of the question so this bike is becoming my other half's new toy.

He's been riding nearly 10 years too.

So I'm looking at every bike every year for a bike that I can touch and ride comfortably.

Here's my stats.
I'm 5'3 about 125 lbs.

What i've been told is i just don't have the uper body for a 600. So I'm searching for riders across the globe to give me advise.

I've looked at the 250r's there a little ehhh well you know I wanna keep up. But the new ones are pretty nice.
I hate banana seats to FYI.

PLEASE HELP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley Girl View Post
Ok how many times have you heard this one. So my deal is aggravating my gloves are Kids, my helmet is a xs my jacket is a s it's so difficult.

I've been ridding cruisers for years now I'm ready to switch. I've ridden bitch way to long. Time to get on my own 2 wheels.

So here's the deal I currently own 2 bikes
Kawi Vulcan 500 2003
Kawi Ninja zx6rr 2003

The Vulcan is perfect i can touch and feel comfortable.
The ninja even lowered I can't fit. Plus putting in links is out of the question so this bike is becoming my other half's new toy.

He's been riding nearly 10 years too.

So I'm looking at every bike every year for a bike that I can touch and ride comfortably.

Here's my stats.
I'm 5'3 about 125 lbs.

What i've been told is i just don't have the uper body for a 600. So I'm searching for riders across the globe to give me advise.

I've looked at the 250r's there a little ehhh well you know I wanna keep up. But the new ones are pretty nice.
I hate banana seats to FYI.

PLEASE HELP
Looking for a straight up crotch rocket? Maybe try sitting on a few of the less track ready 600's (ZX-6R instead of ZX-6RR, YZF-R6S instead of YZF-R6) odds are you'll need to get it lowered and even then you probably still won't be flat footing it. Alot of sportbike riders can't flat foot but it's not a big deal if you have experience, confidence, and the ability to get one foot flat if needed. Outside of crotch rockets you can try out the 650's and the likes of those, they typically have a shorter seat height than the race reps.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Well yea I want a sports bike so. I've sat on most gsxr's regular 636's r6 etc and I don't touch on any I come close to a 04 cbr 600rr. But not quite I'm always on my tippy toes.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 11:04 PM
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
I think spicerke had a CBR 600, and had a custom seat made for her to be able to ride it, and I think a few other custom touches.

Paging spicerke to the white courtesy phone!

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 04:03 AM
Strength and Honor

The new Yamaha FZ6R has a really low seat while maintaining a nice 600 engine on it. If its still a bit high I'm sure you can do the links thing and drop the forks to compensate.

On the street you simply don't need a supersport anyway. Go cheap and get a good fit. I'm sure that ZX-6R was pretty funny looking with you trying to touch down; they're high horses for sure!

EDIT: BTW, we rarely get this kind of question. We're more used to, "I'm 6'10" and weigh 300#, will a hayabusa be powerful enough for me?" Your request for recommendations was refreshing!

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 06:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
Sounds like the exact situation that my fiancee/wife/s.o. is in. Fits all kids gear. She gets top of the line gear for cheap because it is youth sizes. When I first met her I wondered how she could afford all of this top of the line gear and then she let me in on the secret of fitting youth sizes.

Anyway, bikes can be modified to what you need. Seats can be shaved, suspension and parts can be adjusted up and down, etc... When I first met my other half, she was man handling a 2001 CBR 929, just had a little trouble flat footing it, and a CBR F2. She is 5'2"not sure of weight because women never tell the truth about it, but small frame fits the bill. I must say the F2 fit her really really well. She could touch no matter what the terrain.

Go sit on bikes that you like. Find something that has a slim and narrow seat. Wider the seat, the less footing you will have. Just make sure it is a machine that is not over your riding experience, you can handle well, but also grow into so that you don't feel bored and have the need to jump to something big in a short period of time.

http://www.bikerplanet.net
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 08:04 AM
Some days are like this.

Sorry Jester, I was out at a preschool picnic. Which is a total misnomer because there's no way it's a picnic with 12 three year olds. Grr.

Anyhoot.

I am 5'1" with a 29" inseam and was just over 100 pounds when I started riding. I started out as a curb monkey on the back of my ex's various bikes and loved them, but learned to ride on a Buell Blast as it fit me very well. I had a bad case of bike envy with spicersh's 2000 F4, so when he got his XX, we looked into options to get me on it.

We wound up taking it to a racing suspension place by Monterey and had them lower it as much as they could, which was I think just under 2"? No seat shaving, and I was able to get soildly on the balls of my feet, which was enough to feel stable.

I miss my bike.

"I often wonder why I talk to you, then I realize, although you put me down, you do it with love." - Jester

Last edited by spicerke; 05-18-2009 at 08:06 AM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 08:06 AM
Some days are like this.

Oh and Kelley? The asshat that told you that you don't have the upper body for a 600? Totoal horseshit unless you have no arms.

"I often wonder why I talk to you, then I realize, although you put me down, you do it with love." - Jester
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 11:45 AM

Try the gixxers. They seem to be the most friendly for shorties.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

so...

I sat on a 250R today I can touch and move the wheels comfortably. Might still need to have it lowered. Haven't driven one yet. But it's like some of my friends have said that I will probably never use the hourse power that a 600 will give me. But.... I can sit on it at the right angle and seems to fit me well as a 600 looks like the bike's driving me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode