F4i good starter bike?? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

F4i good starter bike??

Hi, I have done plenty of research on the f4i and I think it is the bike for me. It will be my first bike but Im not entirely new to riding. I have rode dirtbikes and atvs since I was 5 years old, so I kno the basics of the machine, just not on the road. I just want to know if this is a good beginner bike and I AM fully aware of the dangers of any sportbike, but I also know that the bike will only go as fast as the rider wants it to go and Im not the type to try to pull wheelies going 80 mph. I just want a quick sportbike that I can have fun on but also not get hurt. I have heard in many cases that the f4i's are very forgiving bikes. Is there any truth to any of this? Any input would be great. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 03:12 AM

Its not as good a starter as the SV650s, but it will work if you keep your ego in check.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 04:59 AM
Strength and Honor

Welcome

My wife and I recently checked out the Yamaha FZ6R and its a great bike, at least from comfort and styling. Great alternate option for new riders.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

I do like the look of the sv650, I like the street fighter look. I know they wont be as quick as the f4i but what is the power difference like betwwen these two bikes?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 08:19 AM

Its pretty sagnificant. The f4i is not much different than the 600RR, meaning it is a race bike converted to street duty. The 650 is designed for street duty from the get go.

Its not that the 650 is slow, its pretty damn quick. It will do a 0-60 under 5, tops out at around 130ish, and will outrun most any common sportscar. But the 600 is mindnumbingly fast, and will reach 160+.

I've seen many 650's doing track days, they can almost keep up with 600's in the tight section, but their relatively low top end means they get slaughtered on the straights. The 650 has a nice wide power band, so you don't have to worry about being in the proper gear. They don't stall just because the engine hasn't reached 4,000 rpm, and they don't try to throw you off just because you revved too high and your hand is not steady enough to keep the throttle smooth. But they are noticeably slower.

Then again, the most fun I've ever had on a bike was on a 650, when I managed to overtake a less experienced (but not new) rider on a R1. Had to work my ass off for it, but that's bragging rights for ya...

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Yea I been looking around on the sv, they dont sound like a bad bike at all. They look comfy yet sporty. I won't be getting a bike until im done with boot camp and A school from the navy so I have plenty of time to decide, I just wanted some input from experienced riders. By the way what are some common mods to put on an sv i.e. exhaust,air filters, suspension ect. ect.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Well I have been doing some research and I think Im going to go with the f4i. I love honda and I know they are dependable and I do know my limits. I know everybody says this but its not like Im just gonna hop on the bike and do 100 mph. I will not be stunting or racing on this bike because its not my thing. Also I just got my permit and will be getting my license next month. I have to practice on my dads vtx1300 which is a huge bike (to me at least only being 5'7") and I think a smaller bike will be no problem thanks for all the in fo though i apperciate it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 10:22 AM

Reply to F4I Starter Bike!!

Let me Start off by saying that You're 100% Correct in stating that it "IS the Rider" more than Anything, when it comes to the style/aggresiveness/Speed etc, etc when riding! I am on my 2nd Street bike, I had a Kawi ZR7S(1.5 yrs) & now have had my `03 CBR600F4i(Last yr of the Split Seat!)off the showroom floor(April 1st `03) I also learned on Dirtbikes, since my teens, but let me tell you, depending on your state/city/riding style/friends you ride With etc, it's ALL up to YOU, How you'll perform around town, on the freeway etc( In the twisties!Luv em!!) Go to the SAFETY Class to get your license, is 100% a MUST for 1st time Street Riders( Invaluble Information you Can't get anywhere else!) Hands on & a plethera of Knowledge, you Really Should have & the Best part is, You do NOT have to go to the DMV after you finish the class, They Give you a Certificate to bring to the DMV, For your License(No Driving test!! which is a Pain!!) I did Not take the Safety class, but rather took the DMV test, the cost is around $150 or so(Look around for best Price!)
As far as the CBR goes, I'm a bit Older, so I Have the experience, the Bike is No joke, it's as Fast/Rugged/Aggresive/Mean etc etc, as You want it to be! I have a wealth of Info to give You , IF you want it! I've put a few Thousand into mine, to make it lighter/faster/More "Racey" lookin etc, and I have plenty of Links/Websites to send You, for Parts/Gear etc, at WAYYY Cheaper prices than local shops, or the "rip-off" Dealer!! Hit me Up and I'll send more stuff, I DO Enjoy telling experiences, giving info, and giving people advice, Also Check out my pics in the Honda section( HotHONDACBRCali) Take that SAFETY COURSE, You Won't Regret it!!!! Send a Reply & I'll send more stuff!! Peace Out to All 4 now..... Ride ON !!!!!
Rick(HotHONDACBRCali)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode