Return from a Hiatus - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Return from a Hiatus

After taking a break from riding I am returning to riding. It sucks I am returning as newb with only a half a season under my belt. My bike as been sitting outside for a year with tarp over it. I need to know what to do to make her run again. This forum has always been source of good information and sound advice. My goal is to get the Kawi running then getting her to the mechanic for a overhaul. New tires, breaks, and fluid changes.

'Tell the truth and shame the devil,' my mom used to say, but she forgot that sometimes you can't shame Mr. Splitfoot sober. The Irish know, but of course they're God's white ni##$rs and who knows, maybe they're a step ahead."

Beer, of course, is actually a depressant. But poor people will never stop hoping otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 05:35 AM

It depends on how old the bike is. Does it start now? If so, your job will be much easier.

Start with the brakes, see what color the fluid is. If its too brown to see thru, flush it out. Basically keep bleeding it, while filling up with new fluid from the master, untill you see clear fluid come out the caliper.
There is a good chance you will have to jump your bike. That does not mean that there is anything wrong, but it could mean that your battery is dead.
Engine oil tends to turn acidic if you leave it for a long time, and this could eat up your alternator. This will be expensive to fix, but it only tends to happen to older bikes. Either way, new oil and filter.
Look at the tires carefully, especially where they touched the ground. Chances are there will be some rot in those spots.
Syphon as much gas out of the tank as possible, fill with new gas, plus half a bottle of cleaner. If your bike starts, let it idle for a long, long time to flush the fuel system. If your bike is carbed, you may have bad gas in the bowls, so drain them (screw under each bowl) you may also have gunk blocking the jets, for which you will need to take the carbs apart.
Clean and oil the chain, and check if there are any linkages that need oil (axles, swing arm pivots, steering head etc) they are probably fine, but check.

Let us know how it goes. It could be a simple oil change and you are back in buisness, or it could be a ton of work on the electrical system.

Is there anything I'm forgetting?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode