Another new rider hopeful - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Another new rider hopeful

Hey all.

Taking the MSF course Jan.9 and hoping to get a bike before or after that.

I went the other day to look at bikes and see which bikes fit,I'm a very lanky guy at 6'4 and 170 lbs.I was set on getting a Ninja 250 as that's enough power for me but the damn thing just does not fit well on me.

I tried the 650R and that fits me well and as I understand, it isn't to bad of a beginner bike.So would I be ok on a ninja 650R or is that to much power to soon?I didn't see any 500's so I will have to go again and see if they have any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 06:00 PM
Strength and Honor

Yeah, the twin 650's are considered reasonable in some circumstances. I can just picture you on that 250

Welcome

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post
Yeah, the twin 650's are considered reasonable in some circumstances. I can just picture you on that 250

Welcome
Yeah felt like my knees were in my chest!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 11:07 AM

Welcome to SBW! (<- standard greeting)

The twin-cylinder 650's are great learner bikes for larger folk.

Stay safe. Rubber-side-down.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 02:21 AM

Gotta say I think you'd look funny on a 250....Hun I'm 5'4" and I started with my Suzuki gs500.....they've got prob enough power for you starting.....I've have mine 3 months.....I'm ready for my ZX6R now. Just make sure you take the class......it is sooooooooo worth it.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 05:14 PM

Ninja 650R

Yep, you'll be just fine on that 650R. It'll be a good bike for you. Kawasaki did a subtle restyling of the 650R for 2009, and I think it really looks nice. Not sure if you were checking out an 08 or an 09, but I'd go with the 09 if you can.

Kudos on your making the effort to start out right- with the MSF course and with buying a suitable beginner bike. You won't regret your decision.

Welcome to the motorcycling community!

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Hey all,just a update.Went looking around some more and I tried the gsx650f.I feel really comfortable on it since it's a upright position and my legs aren't scrunched.

I'm hoping this is just as good as the Ninja 650 since it's a 650 as well?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 09:05 PM

Yes, the GSX 650F is a suitable beginner bike too. My only concern is that it is really heavy. But you should be able to leverage your size to overcome that to some extent. The GSX is very roomy, almost sport-touring in it's ergonomics, which is why it probably fit you pretty well.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Well it's been a while since I was here!Got a ninja 250 in February.It is a ton of fun to ride and the twisties are a blast.

I still think it was a smart decision to start small but I think a Ninja 650 would of been more suitable for me but you can't always have what you want eh.

And yes it is quite a site seeing me on the ninja 250!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 05:09 AM
Strength and Honor

Congrats The great thing about a 250 is one's ability to literally throw the thing around and wring it out, ignoring how cheap they are to own and run.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode