Do you also need a cage? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Do you also need a cage?

I am about to buy a Ninja 250r and I have just finished the MSF course so I think i'm all set. But on the other hand, I wanted to ask you guys a pretty simple question. Do you guys besides having a bike, have a car as well to do your shopping and such? And if so, what kind of car is it?

Or if you manage to do it all with your bike, how do you do it? Backpacks and such?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 04:27 AM
Strength and Honor

I have always had a car in addition to my bike, but I started really late in life. Back in the day I could've gotten away without a bike b/c the University had free student busing to the stores. I use a tail bag on my ride to haul clothes or whatnot when needed. But I don't really like riding in the rain and won't pony up the c-notes to pick up gear required for winter riding, so those are out for me.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 06:41 AM

Yes, I've always had a car at the same time. Going bike only is a pain in the azz. Some downsides include, shopping, hauling anything bigger than what will fit in a backpack, only room for yourself and 1 (adventourous) friend, bad weather, going out on a date, etc.

I remember my car broke down for a few months during a winter when I was a poor college student and I couldn't afford to fix it. So I went bike only for a while and it sucked!

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 01:34 PM

I've always had a car and bike except for the time when my car died and all I had was the bike. That was a hellish month being late fall early winter cold in all without winter riding gear.

Right now I have the bike and a truck and won't have it any other way for the same reasons already listed. The big ones being going out and shopping, without getting into touring bike territory a shopping cart full of stuff won't fit all on a bike and how does one dress up for a special occasion/place without sacrificing protection or messing up their clothes riding a bike. Also you'll never be able to get a girl in a dress, made up all nice, with the hair all done to put on a helmet or ride without one.

It's possible to go without a cage but only if your young, dumb, live in a snow free place, and have no dress up clothes. Else wise, doing so is hard to impossible.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 03:06 PM

I would think in NY a cage would be essential, but I guess you could subway it, be careful no one steals your bike, ride it up the stairs into the building, into the elevator and up to your room

I would hate to be without my tail bag, it hauls lots of stuff

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties.
Abraham Lincoln
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 05:09 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARKninjaZX9 View Post
I would hate to be without my tail bag, it hauls lots of stuff
Translation: That's Arkansas talk for "Wife"

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 05:55 PM

She had a car wreck when she was 18 and now she doesnt like to go around corners, so she doesnt ride any more. She flipped her car twice tryin to take a 90 degree corner at 70. She braces herself in the truck on a corner even.

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties.
Abraham Lincoln
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Well thanks guys for all your help. I will be forced to go bike only for a while and wanted to soften the blow to what was is to come.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 06:59 AM

if its icy dont ride, other than that you'll be fine, 3 layers the first wicking (to remove the sweat from your skin} the next insulating and then your outer layer. Leather is best but hard to keep waterproof so I use textile if it looks wet. If you have a long commute you may need to plan stops to warm up. Good luck you can do it !

Abraham Lincoln
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 03:51 PM

Cold weather is really not that bad as long as its not snowing or icing. I usually wear an under armour cold gear, a shirt, my leather jacket, gauntlet length windproof gloves, windproof pants, and motorcycle boots and I'm all good. If you have the right gear you'll be ok. But, havig a car I think is a necessity cause I wouldnt wanna ride when its storming, its not very safe. On spring or summer time you might be able to pull it off without a car.

Hot girls are like turbos: a little edgy, every guy wants one, most guys cant handle them and if you throw a little alcohol in the mix... THEY'LL ROCK YOUR WORLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode