Wanting to get into the sport bike world, tips? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Wanting to get into the sport bike world, tips?

First of all I will get this out there, I am a young guy at 18 years old. I'm looking for a new passion to pick up, I already have a passion for cars, I drive a 2004 Cobra. Being that I am young I hope to earn some respect here as having self control and being responsible with power. I can assure you I am responsible with my high powered car and I'm hoping that i can use this self control with a sport bike as well (I understand it is totally different). Now I do understand a sport bike is much more dangerous and a 600 and above is quite a bit faster than my car, well some 600's. I have some knowledge of bikes, but not a lot, I'm looking to learn a lot more about them and hopefully help make the choice if i want to invest in one. I understand that I need to start off small too, now the only bike i have ever rode was a CBR-600RR and it was a blast, but MORE! than enough power for myself, definitely too much for a beginner as I definitely am. With all that horse shit being said haha, anyone have some direction they might suggest me in, or someone who has been in my shoes before? Anyhow the forum looks nice and there seems to be a good strong base of users on here, hope to see you all around!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 03:10 PM

Welcome to SBW! (<- standard greeting)

Read the sticky threads in the New Riders section, go do an MSF course, buy ALL your gear, then go buy a 250 - 500cc bike.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slobra46 View Post
Now I do understand a sport bike is much more dangerous and a 600 and above is quite a bit faster than my car, well some 600's.

ALL 600s. Even nearly all 500s will be faster than your car. The top four (Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha) 600cc RRs run low 10s in the quarter mile and just slightly higher than 3s from 0-60. I'm not slamming your car... don't take what I said wrong. Just... Don't have illusions of your car being as fast as even one random 600cc you see on the road.

As cookee said, stickies are a great place to start. Also, search around the "New Rider" forums a bit. There are a ton of people rolling through here every week that all have the same questions.

Nearly everyone on this forum will suggest a 250 or 500cc bike for you. But, you will read about that in other threads. You'll also be able to read why over there.

Welcome to SBW... Hope to see you around often!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 05:23 AM
Strength and Honor

Welcome

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 05:44 AM

A used Suzuki SV-650 would be a great beginner bike to consider.

BTW, As I recall, the 2004 Cobra Mustang came stock with a 390 hp supercharged engine. How on earth does an 18 year old afford the insurance on something like that?

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

haha i dont afford the insurance and im making about 460 to the wheels with my current boost setup, oh and to the post on me being as fast as 600's i have always thought they were in the 11's for some reason and honda being a little slower than that......i didn't mean to come off as i think my car is fast or anything like that haha, but thats crazy a 600 doing 10's thats too much for me haha, ya thanks for the welcomes, ive been busy lately and haven't checked this much but i will start lookin around the forums and reading some beginner stickies, thanks guys!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
BTW, As I recall, the 2004 Cobra Mustang came stock with a 390 hp supercharged engine. How on earth does an 18 year old afford the insurance on something like that?
im getting the strangest feeling of dejavu....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode