Can you convince me to enter the motorcycle world? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Can you convince me to enter the motorcycle world?

Hey there!

Ive been deciding on whether to enter the motorcycle world or not because im a very pondered person and always weight the benefits vs risks.

So far, after alot of thought the balance goes more for the risks side. I tlooks i have a devil in my right side telling me to ride bikes and an angel on the left side telling me to not ride bikes.

Im always affraid i will have an accident and become paralysed or lose a limb (sorry if im being too direct, i will edit if you wish) because in my country alot of accidents involve motorcyclists.

But i always think if i buy the right gear and drive defensively i will be safe altough most of the accidents are provoked my cars and thats what im more affraid of in this world...its not the way i drive but other cars.

Ive made the decision of starting in the 250 Ninja and go up to an intermediate bike before i buy my dream bike, the Suzuki GSXR600 (Its beautifull )

As far as the gear goes i not only want to buy the gloves, helmet, boots and pants to ride but also a spinal cord protection and a Leatt-Brace for the neck. So many things that offer protection but im still affraid of riding bikes but ive read sometimes that even with all this gear people have bad injuries from accidents.

Am i thinking too much or should i become one of you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 03:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to sisqo
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabM View Post
Hey there!

Ive been deciding on whether to enter the motorcycle world or not because im a very pondered person and always weight the benefits vs risks.

So far, after alot of thought the balance goes more for the risks side. I tlooks i have a devil in my right side telling me to ride bikes and an angel on the left side telling me to not ride bikes.

Im always affraid i will have an accident and become paralysed or lose a limb (sorry if im being too direct, i will edit if you wish) because in my country alot of accidents involve motorcyclists.

But i always think if i buy the right gear and drive defensively i will be safe altough most of the accidents are provoked my cars and thats what im more affraid of in this world...its not the way i drive but other cars.

Ive made the decision of starting in the 250 Ninja and go up to an intermediate bike before i buy my dream bike, the Suzuki GSXR600 (Its beautifull )

As far as the gear goes i not only want to buy the gloves, helmet, boots and pants to ride but also a spinal cord protection and a Leatt-Brace for the neck. So many things that offer protection but im still affraid of riding bikes but ive read sometimes that even with all this gear people have bad injuries from accidents.

Am i thinking too much or should i become one of you?

Are you serious???

You have the right to remain silent and errrm open your legs furrr me. -drunk friend and oblivious female-
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 03:33 PM

nobody is out to convince u.. it is up to you... i love motorcycling and share the passions with people who like it.. i ride for my enjoyment and nobody elses

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 04:24 PM

Do what ya gotta do!

After 34+ years of riding I've come up with some thoughts/rules:

Rule #1 Keep your head in the ride! Don't crash!..... But you will! Wear gear!
Rule #2 You are invisible not invincible! Run with your brights and assume NO one sees you!
Rule #3 Trust NO one! Especially the blue hairs! (And people on cell phones!) Even the guys you are riding with! Ride your own ride!
Rule #4 Don't get busted! Do your $hit away from the public or go to the track! (The track is absolutely one of the funest things you can do on a bike!)
Rule #5 Watch out at intersections. Go ahead and stop for that orange light and look both ways before you take off.
Rule #6 Don't follow too close. Be smooth! The guy behind you may not be paying attention. Also a bike will accelerate much faster than most cars.
Rule #7 Keep your bike in top condition. Check the lights,tire pressures, oil, chain, etc.
Rule #8 Don't ever let anyone else ride your bike. (Mechanics excluded!)
Rule #9 not sure but:
Rule #10 HAVE FUN!!!!!!

A few ccs short of a full litre.

Last edited by mac020; 09-29-2008 at 04:38 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 08:03 AM
Site Sponsor

Riding is something that's "in you." You owe it to yourself to try it!

PATRICK A. MCNEALY
President
Superbike Toy Store, LLC
(P) 772.283.4926/Toll Free: 866.999.9823
(F) 772.283.4956

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 03:52 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK Toy Store View Post
Riding is something that's "in you." You owe it to yourself to try it!
+1. Trying it is the only way you'll know if the risks are outweighed by the enjoyment. I've crashed more times than I should have and been rear-ended once and I'm still around. Gear is half the key to survival, the other half being training/experience/defensiveness/paranoia (basically your mental state).

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 08:43 AM

Well, I won't tell you that riding motorcycles is safe. Because it isn't. However, I can guarantee you that it will be one of the most exhilarating things you will ever do.

As you've outlined in your post, you can manage that risk to some extent by buying the appropriate riding gear and starting out with a manageable first bike- like the Ninja 250 you mentioned. But the fact remains, you are still at the mercy of other people (car drivers) to some extent.

You should always have some degree of fear when riding. It keeps you grounded and alert. It's hard to explain, but after you've been riding for a long time it's not really a conscious fear that you are actively thinking about all the time, it's more something that is in the back of your mind- a subconscious awareness. It's hard to explain, sorry I can't really describe it that well.

I agree with the previous post that you owe it to yourself to give it a try. But after a while, if you still find the fear overwhelming your sense of joy, then motorcycling isn't for you. And if it comes to that, you can easily sell the 250 for just a little less than you bought it for and take pride in having attempted it.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Guys, thanks for your advice.

I really have to try it so that i can feel what it is to ride a motorcycle.

zxrider, yes theres something inside motorcyclists that makes them want to ride forever, i see that in some of my mates who ride bikes.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 12:23 AM

Although upscale party dresses make the most of today's Wear-Rental assortment, a free membership (registration) Customers can choose from a limited selection of designer jackets and tops to choose, too. Items are on loan in various sizes and canAion Gold spend a week at a time. "I generally bearing colorful pieces that somehow that" wow "factor," says Passarelli. By renting instead of buying, die-hard fashionistas pay 5 percent to 10 percent ofWOW Power Leveling eye-popping price tags of $ 300 to $ 1,000 WOW Gold on sale. Passarelli she follows the boys. Men have been renting tuxes for ages. Women now on the other hand, usually their formalwear forBuy WOW Gold virtually hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars - even if the intention to wear it again. She says, gets the most basic black cocktail dress worn an average of two to three times before its owner can not take it, be in it again. But with the recession, consumer spending habits gotWOW Gold a serious makeover - especially for such luxury purchases.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 09:57 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to bronson
I have been hit by a car before and tumbled down the highway. It is something you do not want to experience, a feeling of total helplessness, so I will not try and talk anyone into riding. All the gear in the world will not protect you if you have a direct blow at speed. Helmets are good for keeping your face on, if you happen to slide down the road on your face. If you hit you head on a truck bumper or telephone pole at 75 mph the helmet will probably be worthless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode