short rider - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

short rider

I'm new to sport bikes, but i have been riding dirt bikes since i was like 8.
Now i want to get a sportbike, now I'm 5'6'' 145 (athletic build) still packing on some weight, now ive been looking at the honda cbr 600, is there anyway i can get the bike lowerd so i can get both feetflat on the ground?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 04:59 PM

there are several ways you can work to at it, but this is my only guess, you might have trouble shifting gears though. And dont forget these

Last edited by ochoa0042; 09-17-2008 at 05:01 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

hahahaha
but for real what can i do

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 05:10 PM

when i got my first bike it was lowered, and im tall, so i raised it back up.

there is a quick way to do it which will increase your wheelbase, which is bad for turnability

And the right way which uses the quick way plus one other step.... i had a picture posted a long time ago of what to look for on the rear.... hold up....
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

alright cool let me know then
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 05:51 PM

alright i cannot find my thead, but i found some pictures.... to do it right, you have to lower both the front and the back of the bike...

3inches lowerin back, 3 inches lower in front... it will keep the bike more balanced (even though your already throwing it off of the specs and ground clearance, bad mojo)

The rear, replace this, with these, they're lowering links, and adjust accordingly and keep measurements

The front, simply loosen the forks from the tripple tree's and let gravity do the work. I wouldnt do them both at once because it can drop really fast if you're not carfull. So loosen one of the sides, the right lets say, loosen both the top right and lower right tripple tree, and shimmee the right fork up. tighten up the right and then adjust the left side. You migh have to do this more than once... And dont forget to keep the measurements accurate

and make sure the forks are EVENLY matched both left and right. I used a digital caliper to get it to the thousanth. I was told that unevenness can do bad things, so i pass the word

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One thing wrong, ok several things wrong with lowering is that it throws the bike of its specs, which were specifically designed to work at what your are changing it from. Which my owners manual says "adjudsting your suspension out of reccomended specifications can adversely affect stability and handling, which could result in death or serious injury."

Another is that the lean angle will be effected and lessened to where you will be scraping parts that arn't supposed to the scraped, so you might slide farther than normal.

Another is it will be harder to wheelie, which I dont think you're ready for, im just saying it so you will know all the information of what you are doing.

And braking may get seriously bad if you lower it too low, because when you lower the front, the forks are forced into a shorter gap between the tire and the lower tripple tree, if lowered too low the TIRE can & may break the plastic faring and touch the lower tripple tree.

Have you have ridden a bicycle? have you ever gone really fast and then put your foot in the front tire? well i was stupid enough to do so, and i flipped over prettly hard!!

Last edited by ochoa0042; 09-17-2008 at 06:03 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

damn! its never easy is it. maybe ill jsut suck it up and keep it the way it is.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 06:21 PM

good keep it how it is
found my picture.... linky1 Linky2
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 04:58 PM

Red face

If I got it done by a professional and so they lowered it only how much it was safe would it be so bad? The problem for me is I'm only 5'2" and so things are hard for me to reach in general lol. I'd like to keep the bike the way it is but at the moment it's just a bit ridiculous. Would just getting the suspension adjusted for my height and weight be enough? Thanks for any info you all can give me!!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 05:14 PM

my owners manual has only setting adjustments for weight, but not for height. You/I will never be able to push the bike to its fullest limits: you may push yourself to the limits, but probably not the bike's.
Do what you have to: but done over do it.... as the tips of your feet will be fine, build some kalf muscles and leg strenght while your at it.... for your height, lowering to where you are confortable may have adversed effects
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode