new member w/o bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

new member w/o bike

Hey everyone, i am a new member and i have been reading the threads and have been getting alot of good info but heres something i need to know....

New late model bike (ie. '08 ninja 250/650)

vs.

Used Older model bike (ie. '95-'04 650 or less cc)

Heres the thing, i've done some 4 wheeling so now i'm loving the bike thing.... but i been reading on the first bike issue:

1) dont get new cuz i will drop it
2) nothing too powerful cuz i might die
3) something easy to handle to learn and gain experience on.

I understand all that but this is how i'm thinking:

-I want the 08 ninja 250, i know its a good beginner bike but i dont want to master it and have to go thru the whole buying thing again for something bigger, cuz i like to keep things and not really trade or switch things for years,thats why im also considering the 650 which is also great looking, i like to get my money worth, plus the 250 does sound like a scooter or a commercial lawn mower.

-After looking at many ads on craigslist, ebay, cycletrader and other smaller publications i've decided i really like the honda cbr 600's...there were plenty more that i REALLY liked, such the R1 and some suzukis but like i said before, i dont want to die....but i want to know:

-can the cbr be my first bike???

-even if i got it used and dropped already???

I plan on keeping the bike for years....thats why i want new but i dont want it f-ed up really quickly neither, thats why i also want used....i need some advice....sorry for typing so much, i wanted to get this off my chest.

P.S., does anyone have a ballpark of what payments and insurance total monthly?? just wanna hear numbers.

Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 02:22 PM

First thing first. Insurance rates vary from region to region, company to company, and customer to customer. Why dont you call your insurance company and ask for a few quotes? It is their job to help you out.

As for other questions
You will not master the 250. But you might get bored with it. When you do, you should be able to sell it for almost what you paid for it. They resell well.
The 650 is a fine starter bike.
If you go with a cbr, try to find one that is pre '00. The main thing, is that you should get one that is CHEAP. Its not that you might drop it, its that you will. Which is fine, just get good gear, and buy the bike for cash instead of financing.
Oh. You will probably get bored with the CBR too. People who own sportbikes tend to buy a new one every 2-3 years. So its not like you are looking for your last bike... Unless of course you are...

Have fun.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the info...i figured the rates would be different but they tend to be the similar in regions that arent cities, i'm from nyc and live in Fl. but i know the rates would be completely different so if you live in a place like florida i figured the price you pay would be around what i would pay....

i really appreciate the info, cuz now ima have to decide between the used cbr or the new 650....

you might be right tho, it probably wont be my last bike but i would like to try and make it.....its not the speed i'm interested in, its the craftsmanship....that why i wouldnt change bikes for something faster, they all go fast enough for me, lol, but i enjoy that fact of having a "baby"...thats what everyone else calls there bike....i have no kids...thank god
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode