New member sayin Hi - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

New member sayin Hi

Whats up? New member from Central Illinois looking to get a bike. I found a used 2008 Ninja 250 on Craigslist located HERE with 1,100 miles on it and an extended warranty until 2011. He is asking $5000 for it which I know is WAY to much for that bike. Thats like what $1500-2000 more than brand new. I wouldn't necessarily need the extended warranty either so I could have him cancel it. What would be an acceptible price to offer him? KBB says retail for the bike is around $2900. I think he is banking on the fact that the dealers are sold out and he can make a quick buck. I also found a 96 F3 for sale locally for $3400. I really like the Ninja tho. I would really love to have an 07 R6 in black but I'm not stupid! lol

Lil info about me.. My first time out on a streetbike was also my first time down. Was on my buddies 89 Kawi 600. Was on a road I know like the back of my hand. Took the first 3 turns fine but the 4th I ended up to wide. I made it thru the corner but slid down into the ditch and it caught and highsided my ass. Simple mistake and my fault. Wasn't even going that fast maybe 20-25. And before you ask no I had no helmet on. I fractured the tip of my right thumb and got a good small patch of rash on my left forearm and my knee and scraped up my knuckles real good which hurt more than anything else lol. I got lucky I know it. Been out on a Buel Blast a couple times now without issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 03:07 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Welcome

Good choice on the bikes you're looking at. I'd offer the guy $3K for the Ninja if the bike is still spotless, and keep the warranty. Sounds like the F3 is a little pricey too considering its age (they are awesome bikes, don't get me wrong). Hope you've learned a lesson from your first spill and suit up with gear on every ride now. If not, definitely buy yourself some!

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 05:58 AM
Strength and Honor

Don't get too rushed, either. If he sticks to it, leave your number with him for when he changes his mind. But decide on how much you want to pay (the definition of its value) and stick to that. You could offer lower if you think he'd be haggling but if the gap is large between your two price points, it might not be worth the time.

There are lots of people out there with over-inflated sense of value for their bikes.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 06:41 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post
There are lots of people out there with over-inflated sense of value for their bikes.
I definitely fall into that category with my Gixxer. I have no desire to sell it, but if somebody desperately wanted to buy it, I wouldn't sell it for a penny less than what I paid for it (obviously if I lost my affection for it, I'd drop that a bit).

As for the Duc, I didn't go overboard on what I'm asking for it, but with the lack of interest, I'm leaning towards keeping it now (with a few modifications, of course)

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesht View Post
Welcome

Good choice on the bikes you're looking at. I'd offer the guy $3K for the Ninja if the bike is still spotless, and keep the warranty. Sounds like the F3 is a little pricey too considering its age (they are awesome bikes, don't get me wrong). Hope you've learned a lesson from your first spill and suit up with gear on every ride now. If not, definitely buy yourself some!
The F3 comes with two matching helmets and has 16k on the clock. Has a stage 3 jet kit and slip on.

I was thinking of shooting him an offer of 3k. It looks pretty spotless.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 03:25 AM
Strength and Honor

Buying a used helmet is dangerous. You don't know if its actually usable or not because a simple fall from 6' could make it useless. Visual inspection tells you VERY little about it. So give him NOTHING for the lids.

As for the jet kit, pay something extra only if you would have installed them yourself anyway. This rule applies to ALL aftermarket parts. Otherwise you should make an offer as if the bike were stock.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 04:13 AM
Lifetime Premium

I'd pass on the F3 if it does in fact have a stage 3 kit.

-Will Rogers
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

I sent him an e-mail offering 3k for the 250. He replied "Sorry $5k is firm price". I replied that is rediculous. The bike isn't even worth that brand new but keep me in mind if it doesn't sell. He responded that that is what he paid for the bike including the extended warranty and that its had its first 600 mile service done and been broken in properly. Which i said "Ok I can understand that. But the $1500 extra you paid doesnt add to the actual value of the bike. Taxes and fees are an extra expense that dont matter. I'm not trying to knock you down, just stating that MSRP is nowhere near what your asking." He hasn't responded lol.

My buddy found a guy selling an 06' Ninja 500 with 3k on the clock for like $2600 I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode