Which bike? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Which bike?

Which bike would you think would be better for me? I was looking at Ninja250, 500, and 650? I've never even rode a dirt bike before but I do plan on taking some classes before I buy my bike. A lot of my friends have been giving me hell about thinking about buying the 2008 or 2009 Ninja 250 saying its to weak. What do you guys think and do you have any other recomendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 03:14 AM
Strength and Honor

The only points I'd make on top of those in the stickies is that if you don't think you'll be able to deal with their harrassment for a year or two, or don't think you'll ride it often because of that harassment, then you should either drop the idea of riding, find new friends, or just ride by yourself or with a different group. Peer pressure certainly is harder to deal with when you're under 20 but if you're older than that, I'd recommend giving them this:

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 11:09 AM

Kanwisch has some great advice there!

You should be fine with either a Ninja 500R or a 650R. Don't let your "friends" talk you into a 600 supersport (or bigger) bike though.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 10:35 AM

+1

a 600 is a too much for a first bike. My friends give me hell too. Just ignore it.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Alright I'll probally just get the 250 since it is cheaper then the 500 and I don't want to lay down something exspensive haha. Thanks for all the advice it really helped.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 05:07 PM

No matter what you get, you will lay it down/drop it. It would be much less expensive to find a used bike in the same cc range and get it. Nothing hurts more than riding you brand new shiny freshly wax bike and then getting road rash on it. It will happen, always dress for the accident. I know but I am just going to the corner market I don't need my jacket. When a dog darts in front of you and under your wheel. You slide down the road only at 25 mph but with a t-shirt on. Ouch that's gonna leave a mark.

So if you want to start on a brand new shiny bike, that is fine but the repair bills are pricey.

Always wear your gear, it will save your life. I had a get off at a mere 45 mph and it put a 6 1/2 inch gaping crack in my helmet. I was knocked unconscious and in a coma for 2 days. I am still here and able to tell you about it because my gear did it's job. Ran over an opossum laid over in a curve, low-sided and went sliding. Not a mark one on me, leather gloves, boots and jacket had some small scratches but were still good.

Why am I ranting about this? Well, to tell you the truth, I want to help motorcyclist stop getting hurt and killed when most of the time a little safety gear would have prevented most if not all the injuries.

Sorry for the rant.

Protect yourself, no one else will.

Ride it like you stole it, and keep the rubber side down.
Flapper Mod
Stock Exhaust Mod
Front Flush Mounts
Integrated Tail Light
Custom Undertail
Xenon Blue Headlights
Titax Gold Shorts Levers
BTW: Her Name is Nicole

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

No... Thank you thank you. I'll take all the advice I can get but when I see something I like I have to have it and I like new and shiney toys haha. I know I will lay it down one day but I'm willing to pay the price to get it fixed. Thanks for the safety advice. I have a few friends who ride and keep telling me that same thing. Thanks bro.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectswole View Post
No... Thank you thank you. I'll take all the advice I can get but when I see something I like I have to have it and I like new and shiney toys haha. I know I will lay it down one day but I'm willing to pay the price to get it fixed. Thanks for the safety advice. I have a few friends who ride and keep telling me that same thing. Thanks bro.
Get yourself a set of $100 frame sliders for the shiny new toy and save yourself $1000+ later.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

I checked out frame sliders and it looks like a great idea. I will def. purchase that when I get the bike. Also thanks for all the great advice guys. I didn't actaully think you guys would take the time to reply. A lot of forums wouldn't have. I'm glad I choose this one to be apart of. You were all very friendly and helpful. Hope I can be apart of this family for a long long time.

Last edited by projectswole; 08-26-2008 at 04:23 PM.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 03:59 AM
Strength and Honor

Its a part of the nature here. Not lots and lots of threads, but the responses to questions are likely to be direct and in the vast majority of circumstances, meaningful.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode