250R or 500R? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

250R or 500R?

Hey guys, I just first wanted to say that after reading some of your other posts you have convinced me that I shouldn't get a 600 for my first bike. A couple of my friends are getting 600s and at first I didn't want to look like a girl on a smaller bike, but now I realize that this is the best route.

I'm going to be living in the city, but also have to commute on the freeway from time to time (hopefully its not that bad). Like I said, I want to eventaully get a 600, but first I don't know which bike I should get now. I am about 6'0" 170lbs and have ridden small dirt bikes before.

What would be better to get, the Ninja 250R or the Ninja 500R? The price difference is about $2k-$3k, but should I get the 500R if I plan on moving up to a 600 sooner? And do you think riding this bike for one season is enough time to build confidence and experience to move to a 600 by next year?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 03:09 PM

Whichever you get a better deal on. Most of the time, one season is enough time, but results vary.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 12:21 AM

Welcome to SBW! (<- standard greeting)

Congrats on actually listening to people with experience. I only hope your friends don't fall victim to their egos.

Your length of time on the 250 / 500 will depend totally on you. How many miles you get under your belt, how well you pick up the finer points of riding, etc. I spent 2 1/2 years on a 250 before moving on up. Don't be in too much of a rush. If you get your skils down pat, you'll be blowing by your 600 mates in the twisties.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:26 AM
Strength and Honor

I spent 2 years on an 80's 500cc. As noted, change in ride varies by experience and resources. Be sure to read the stickies in this forum if you haven't. Synopsis:
Get gear and wear it, despite squidly friends.
Take the MSF course and practice those skills.
Get licensed (M class here in the US).

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I am taking an MSF course and getting my license soon.

What do you think about a Suzuki GSX650F? Or is that too much to start on still?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 03:08 PM

650F? Is that the katana? It makes for a descent starter bike, I but I would take the SV650 over it.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadThad View Post
...What do you think about a Suzuki GSX650F? Or is that too much to start on still?
Personally, yes, it's too much to start on. Although twins make their power in a different way to inline fours, I think that a 650 twin is still too much bike to start on. I mean, those things are being used by guys as track bikes.

A 500 is the most I would, personally, recommend.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 04:08 PM

The 650 is not a twin, its an inline.. I've never seen one, so I cant comment on it

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
The 650 is not a twin, its an inline.. I've never seen one, so I cant comment on it
Well, there you go, learn something new every day, hey? Lemme Google it to find out more...

Here's the spec's for it.

Found the hp / torque on another page - 85 hp / 46 lb-ft.

Not as wild as a 600, but probably still more than a beginner needs.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 05:21 AM

Meh, Can't say from looking at the stats. I wouldnt so much worry about peak power stat as I would about how that power is distributed, how sharp the steering is, how stiff the springs are, how grabby the brakes get, In other words how lightning quick the bike responds. An SV1000 would make a better beginner bike in my book than gsxr600. Not that I would recommend either.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode