Tire suggestions - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Tire suggestions

Hey. I just bought my first bike a couple of months ago. It is a 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R 636. I'm getting ready to put tires on it and looking for suggestions. I don't race or stunt. I occasionally ride corners fairly hard, but actually spend alot of time on the road. I drive almost 1 &1/2 hours 1 way every weekend, so I am looking for something that will get a few more miles out of it. I have been told to go with the Michelin Pilot Powers, but know that i'm only going to get 3000 miles or so out of it. Any suggestions? I would really appreciate it. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 01:13 PM

For longer wear look at the sport touring tires like the Michelin Pilot Road or the Bridgestone BT020. You'll probably never notice a difference on the street and they'll last quite a bit longer.

-
"We didn't trade shoves; I did all the shoving." -Bobby Knight, 1981
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Are you at all familar with a Dunlop Qualifier?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 01:33 PM

I used to have a pair of Avon 46's and they lasted pretty well. But they did take longer to warm up than sport tires

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
I'm hooked on the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's. They have insane grip on the twisties, and the center holds up pretty well to long commutes. The people I ride with are about 25-30 miles away (long, straight roads no matter which way you dice it) so I spend a lot of time doing boring riding between twisties, and they have just recently started to "flatten" out in the center with almost 3K miles.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 05:06 AM

While I like my 2CT's I dont think they make good touring tires. They last just a touch longer than regular sport tires.

But they do grip...

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 05:32 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
They've certainly held up better than the Qualifiers I had on before, but I do agree that touring wouldn't be their best application.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 08:14 AM

I would take a look at the Michelin Pilot Road; they are made for longer life, and have a stiffer carcus for regular road use.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 11:38 AM
Strength and Honor

I've got a Road Attack I in the rear right now and am still working out how much I like them. Been plenty grippy for the road but don't have a number for its longevity yet. The Roat Attack II's are now available and would be where I'd go if I hadn't gotten this one as a gift.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode