helmets/protective gear - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

helmets/protective gear

Hey everyone. I'm making sure I have everything straight before I get my bike. I recently recieved the Icon Arc Textile jacket as a gift and I'm planning on ordering a pair of Joe Rocket Sonic boots. Next purchase will be my helmet, but I have no idea where to start. What will be the difference between a $200 helmet and a $500 helmet? It's my head, I won't skimp out on protection for it, I'd just like to be informed. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 07:34 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
djgreg, there are 2 very important factors when buying a helmet: fit/comfort, and Snell certification. I would recommend going to a place that has a really good selection of helmets, and try on different brands/models to find out what fits you the best. After you've found one that's comfortable, get online, find the style you want and order it from a reputable online store. You'll save money.

As far as price, it isn't really necessary to spend 5 or 6 hundred unless there is a helmet that you absolutely can't live without in that price range. Also, be wary of anything that is under about $200, because there are cheap helmets. My second helmet was a Vega Nitro. Me and my buddy each got them cause there was an awesome deal online. After a few months, one of the vents that runs along the top started peeling away from the shell due to inferior adhesive. I even saw that happening on the same model of helmet at the local dealership (and it was a display model ).

Since then, I've owned 2 Icon helmets, a Shoei and a KBC. Aside from the Icon Domain, I've had no complaints with any of those helmets.

Good luck!

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, there is a $500 dollar helmet I'de really like to have but now I think I'll put some of that money into my bike.

I'm just curious, what problems did you have with your icon domain? I was actually looking into those :/

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgreg View Post
Thanks for the help, there is a $500 dollar helmet I'de really like to have but now I think I'll put some of that money into my bike.

I'm just curious, what problems did you have with your icon domain? I was actually looking into those :/
If you've got the money to put into it, go for it.

The main problem I had with the Domain (keep in mind it was one of the originals, not the Domain2, or whatever is out now) was the vents. There are 2 in the chin that I believe were the culprits. From the inside, they look like they'd twist to close, but the wouldn't. Anyways, I was constantly getting small debris in my helmet, and it always seemed to go right into my eyes. As far as comfort and style, you can't really beat them for the price. But that was one annoyance I wasn't able to deal with, especially in a rural area where dust/chaff/small bugs are unavoidable when harvest time comes along.

My current helmet is the KBC VR-2 "Reaper" and I've had it for over a year now, and absolutely love it.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 03:52 AM
Strength and Honor

Let me re-emphasize what he wrote. You should try on as many helmets as you can get your hands on. Fit/comfort is the pinnacle of importance, presuming they all meet the DOT standard.

My latest lid is a Shark, having come from a few Shoei's previously. I'm not as sold on the SNELL thing, especially given a controversial comparison done by Cycle World(?). DOT is minimum and after that its gravy/icing.

I actually know where you're located and you should be able to find some shops that carry lids pretty darn easily. Call around to find out what various shops carry and then plan a day of helmet try-ons. Many shops will "deal" on their helmets if you find one you like because they realize they have to compete to some extent on price with online retailers (like www.newenough.com, highly recommended online vendor). But you should expect to pay some premium for their carrying it in stock and helping you with fit. Read up on fit BEFORE you go out.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode