new rider. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

new rider.

Alright so here we go. Im not really just getting into bikes but im for the first time taking a serious look into buying one. I would LOVE to get an R6 but the more i read up on this, the more you guys got me thinking. I understand that the type of person that drives a bike has very very little to do with the chance of an accident, but is everyone just flat out sayin dont do it? get something smaller? I dont plan on getting a brand new one either, i was thinking a couple years older would suit me just fine. Also I'm not buying anytime soon, I just started a new job and dont plan on getting a bike untill next spring, so that gives me a solid year to decide what the right course of action is. I read Charlie's little intro to himself, and i am not comming in with that mindset at all. Anyway let the comments begin ill take any adivce, tips, stories i can get . thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 12:04 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Welcome
Sorry, I'm short on time, so I'll get a little more in depth later. But to answer your question: start small. Preferably used. Factor in the cost of gear, because the only thing worse than going down is doing so in street clothes. You've got some time so see about taking basic courses to get used to riding. In the states, we have the MSF, which has different levels of courses. Not sure what the Canadian equivalent is (could be the MSF there, too) but that will be one of the best things you can do for yourself.

And don't be like Charlie.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 12:13 PM

Go ahead and take that logic further. Its not only that the kind of person you are having little to do with having an accident, its that your chances of having one are virtually assured. Are you ok with this? Because this is what you should get yourself ready for. Bikes are fun, actually they are a great deal of fun. And everyone that rides them has some scars, and most likely spent some time with casts on. To me, its a price worth paying. What about you?
Get a cheap bike, the kind that you wont feel too bad putting some scratches on (because it adds character) get some good gear and wear it religiously. Oh, take the MSF course. It will cost you a couple of hundred, and you get to practice on their bike. What can be better than that?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesbj View Post
...I would LOVE to get an R6...is everyone just flat out sayin dont do it? get something smaller?...
DON'T DO IT!....YES!

Easy, hey?

Welcome to SBW! (<- standard greeting)

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

thanks cook loud and clear ....I've read that the 250 ninja seems to be the bike of choice around here but if I'm going to drop money on all this, then id reallllllly rather buy exactly what i want... but then again whats the price on a life eh guys... and thanks for the pointer snake, its one of the reasons im not buyin till next year, budget what i want/need to spend and work towards that so i wont forget anything.

vash i see where your comming from, im a thrill seeker for sure, and ive been drawn to bikes my whole life, im a huge quad driver, and i race seadoo's on weekends. so a few character scratches to myslef is somthing im more then willing to take to ride a bike.

Thanks for the posts so far keep em comming.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 03:36 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
The 250 is a good starter bike, and they are in such high demand that you won't really lose a whole lot of money if you buy a new one. If you buy used, and keep it for a year and only sustain minor cosmetic damage, you can probably break even, or possibly sell it for a profit. So don't worry about buying your dream bike just yet. Unless you like looking at it in the garage covered in road rash until your wounds heal. That's the sad truth of this game.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 03:06 AM

Exactly, snake.

Mate, do the right thing and go the beginner bike route. Not only are you more likely to survive the learning process, but you'll also be a better rider for it. Instead of trying to keep up with a bike you're not ready for, you'll be able to concentrate on learning to ride on something that won't get out of control quite so easilly.

That's it. That's my last words on the subject. The rest is up to you...

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 07:03 AM

Unlike the 600cc race reps, the 650's make fine starter bikes, and are intended as such. I'm talking about the SV650 or the Kawi 650. Both are mild enough not to get you in trouble, but will be more comfortable for a bigger guy.
But you will most likely loose some money when you trade up a 650, unlike a 500

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 03:52 AM
Strength and Honor

Welcome

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode