A Dilemma - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

A Dilemma

Hello. I'm an aspiring rider. I have my MSF course at the end of the month. Before the end of the season I'd like to think I'll own a 1990s sport bike. (Not getting anything newer than a 2000 for my first bike.) I plan to ride around pretty much everywhere. (SW Pa.) But staying off of the death traps (aka Freeways.) I was very much looking forward to getting a Ninja 250 (the 2008s look amazing , but I'd probably eat a bullet if I accidentally dropped the damned thing.) or Ninja 500, used.

Now the dilemma. I'm 6 foot 5. (give or take an inch) and they just don't fit. I can steer the damn thing with my knees. >_> (I don't even think risers would help.) Upon realizing this I asked/browsed around. I've done lots and lots of hours of research and asked lots of advice with all saying the same thing. I'm just here because I don't actually belong to a motorcycle forums. When I say I'm too tall for a 250 sports bike, and probably a 500, I get people telling me that 600s are good for me, I just have to be more careful with throttle and have to pretend I'm in the sweltering Vietnamese jungles with Charlie out to slit my throat awareness-wise while on the streets. I can respect that. I'm 31, and level headed. Wheelies scare the shit out me. Fuck'm. Dragging my knees around a corner with 2 weeks of riding under my belt =

I've read the forums here with the newbie ass clowns calling these things 'toys' and wanting to burn out at the red light in a liter bike. That shit's just ridiculous. What I'm getting at is...is a 600 (650?) cc bike too much for me, even if I have no choice because everything below is too small for me? I like the sports bike fairings and looks 5x more than your standard/cruiser bike. I'm going to be feeling really weird on the 250 Shadows I heard the MSF course uses. I'm also MUCH more of a fan of having my hands down/even (with elbows bent) on something than riding with them aimed up, as for some reason when my hands are held out AND up too long my arms tend to fall asleep pretty quickly. I know that I should bend at the elbows and reach straight out (maybe a bit up) to the handle bars for best control. I like this style and I just can't see it happening like that on a cruiser with the higher handle bars. I also plan to ask my semi-over protective father some advice. (He's 59...been riding since he was 18. Owns a Valkyrie Interstate, 'regular' Valk, 95 'blind you with fucking chrome' Magna and a 750VFR. He's just scared of me crashing, so I tend not to say much about bikes as he'll get into a condescending tone. Meanwhile he was riding his first motorbike down the driveway at 18 scraping shit all around because he didn't even know how to ride a regular bike.) Do as I say not as I do? Right? Right.

Sorry to go on like this. The questions still stand. 250 cruiser? "Get a cruiser, chump. You're too damned tall for a sport bike!"? 250 sport? 500 sport? (and recommendations if anything can hold a 6'5" guy w/o bending me up like a pretzel?) or a 600? (I heard the SV650 was nice and big, but not crazy powerful like inline 4s. It's a twin, right?) Others like the CBR F1-F2 and early Katanas are mentioned... Advice?

Thanks in advance.

PS Gear is a foregone conclusion with me. My Dad rides in neck to toe leather with a helmet 100% of the time. He has successfully instilled this value on me. I can't do anything but frown seeing the 90+% bikers in the town were I work in their tank tops, shorts, shades and flip flops (with the 'lady' holding onto them the same way). =\

Last edited by Akumu; 06-11-2008 at 08:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 03:47 AM
Strength and Honor

I agree the 250 will be too small. Not so sure I agree on the 500s but its your money. F1s and F2s have been recommended before as "ok" options, along with the SV650 and 650R, though all these are not as preferable as the 250/500 option.

Going cruiser will get you used to riding a motorcycle but time is short if you're in your 30's so if you want to check out sportbikes I wouldn't start on the cruiser route, myself. Just dive into something, get all the great training you can, gear up and hope for the best.

PS: That is not an endorsement for a supersport, inline 4 bike.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Welcome!

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 09:27 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Kanwisch, I can't determine what you are endorsing there. Perhaps a Ducati or Aprillia?

To the OP: I imagine you'd be best suited with a 500 or 650. Like Kanwisch said, avoid inline-4 supersport/superbike rockets until you get some experience on sportbikes.

The F1/F2's are getting a little dated now. I started on an F2 about 4 years ago, and it was old then. However, if you can find one that has been treated well, I think it would still be something to consider. I firmly believe my cornering abilities are a direct result of having learned on a bike that had to be thrown around. And it didn't have the insane power that the modern bikes have.

And as always, Welcome

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

I'm guessing these forums are always like this? 1 reply? 2 tops?

*tumbleweed*
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Lifetime Premium

Indeed this forum is merely a shadow of its former glorious self. But what remains is top-notch advice, so take it or leave it

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesht View Post
Indeed this forum is merely a shadow of its former glorious self. But what remains is top-notch advice, so take it or leave it
Yeah, what he said.

When you ask for advice here, you trade quantity for quality. Snake and I do our absolute best to run off the squids, and the admin usually takes care of the ones that slip through (give or take one or two... no names mentioned.)

All you usually need is one reply, because most replies that would follow would be nothing more than playing repeat. 250/500s wear protection, take the MSF. etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. The new rider section is littered with these posts. Don't think you are being ignored just because you only got one or two replies. I mean... would you feel better if 15 of us had followed up kans post with a "+1"?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 04:52 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX6R1033 View Post
Yeah, what he said.

When you ask for advice here, you trade quantity for quality. Snake and I do our absolute best to run off the squids, and the admin usually takes care of the ones that slip through (give or take one or two... no names mentioned.)

All you usually need is one reply, because most replies that would follow would be nothing more than playing repeat. 250/500s wear protection, take the MSF. etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. The new rider section is littered with these posts. Don't think you are being ignored just because you only got one or two replies. I mean... would you feel better if 15 of us had followed up kans post with a "+1"?
+1 (though seriously, they did say it well)

I have nothing to add, I just wanted to put more posts in here. That and for some reason it impressed me that "dilemma" was spelled correctly.

Welcome to the forums!

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 05:13 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicersh View Post
for some reason it impressed me that "dilemma" was spelled correctly.
Yes, I definitely expected much less from a first post in the New Riders area. Gotta have a lot more errors than this one did.

So we're up to what, 7 now?

-Will Rogers
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 05:37 AM
Some days are like this.

We can make it nine, with my wholehearted endorsement of Kan's post.

And the comment that it's farking nice to see someone starting out with a level head and all the basics so we don't have to spend 75 pages arguing with them on how much of a tumbling dickweed they really are.

Though those were the days!

"I often wonder why I talk to you, then I realize, although you put me down, you do it with love." - Jester
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesht View Post
So we're up to what, 7 now?
Well... there's always the option of having a good old fashioned threadjacking.

I tried to refrain, but what the hell...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode