Im a noob - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Need Advice

hey everyone i was just lookin for some advice.

i've never rode a motorcycle before and im looking to get a bike. i was going for a brand new kawasaki

was planin on the new 250 or 500 but my local dealer said ill have to wait a while. he suggested the 650R i didn't know cuz ive heard a lot about the 600's being a bad choice for first bike.

just so ya know im 6ft 240lbs so weight shouldnt be a problem.

thanx in advance

Last edited by Blind2Society; 06-09-2008 at 03:00 PM. Reason: better title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 03:07 PM

Stick with your 250 or 500 plan. It's the best one. Go buy a used bike instead, though, as you're just gonna scratch it up when you drop it anyway.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 03:11 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Welcome

Cookee pretty much nailed it. Buy used and buy small. You'll retain more of your investment, provided you don't wreck it too badly, and it will be much easier to learn on a more forgiving bike.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

ive looked a lot for used 500and250's but for some reason round here there hard to find but there's no shortage of 600 supers and 1000's and the like which is not what im lookin for

i figured with money not being an issue a new bike would save some of the hassle plus the warrenty and i dont much care if i scratch or dent it so long as i dont kill it completely

i would much rather get a 500 or 250 but even new i cant find one

so all that aside what im wonderin is, do you think the twin cylinder 650R is too much power?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 03:46 PM

Stick with the 250 or 500. Yes, 650 is probably too much. If money isn't an issue, then buying a cheap 250 used somewhere out of state and paying to have it shipped or to go get it shouldn't be an issue, either. If you can't find any in CT or MA, come to ME. You are less than 3 hours from the border, and there are tons of 250s and 500s around here. Check Uncle Henrys.

I don't remember the specifics, but I have a few friends in RI, and I remember hearing some strange things when I was talking to them about requirements for getting your license. Have you checked into that yet?

As for the new bike statement... You don't really "dent" bikes, and scratches are only an issue if you are going very slow when you drop it. Anything at normal driving speed and up will usually break plastic, and that gets expensive. That is why we all recommend used.

IMO - Just because money isn't an issue doesn't mean you need to throw it away aimlessly. The advice is still the same. Used 250 or 500.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

yeah i ve been lookin and its been tough to find one, ill check that place too thanx

in RI you have to take a driver education course (you can take anywhere but here it's manditory) to get your license. i've already signed up and i take classes the end of august (which sucks by the way)

"IMO - Just because money isn't an issue doesn't mean you need to throw it away aimlessly. The advice is still the same. Used 250 or 500."

-good point

ill keep on the hunt thanx again for the advice
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind2Society View Post
yeah i ve been lookin and its been tough to find one, ill check that place too thanx

in RI you have to take a driver education course (you can take anywhere but here it's manditory) to get your license. i've already signed up and i take classes the end of august (which sucks by the way)

"IMO - Just because money isn't an issue doesn't mean you need to throw it away aimlessly. The advice is still the same. Used 250 or 500."

-good point

ill keep on the hunt thanx again for the advice

If you run into any real issues and you are serious about the bike, I have a friend who works at a dealership in VT. It would be about a 4-5hr trip for you, but this is the kind of guy who would make it worth your while. One phone call and you could have your bike.

FWIW - When I bought my bike, MSRP was $7,999 (brand new), and I rode it off the showroom floor for $6,400.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

which bike are you talkin about the 650, 500, or 250 cuz the guy over here said he couldn't get his hands on one till 09 or are u talkin bout used bikes?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 04:21 PM

If money's no issue, send me some!

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

well... money is not an issue to an extent up to like seven grand so long as its new. im not lookin to spend anywhere even close to that if it's not brand spankin new
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode