Want an affordable bike that'll last me a while - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Want an affordable bike that'll last me a while

Guys this site has been amazingly helpful so far. I read through your newbie threads and I read some of the other beginners' questions to get a feel for what I'm getting into.

I'm very young and I love my toys, but I'm respectful and responsible, more-so than my age could ever imply. I've seen people get hurt on bikes, and in cars, be it their fault or the fault of another, and I understand how quickly things can go wrong and how stupid other drivers can be.

With that said, I need my first bike to last me a while. Simply put, I don't want to outgrow this bike any time soon, because I can't afford to. I'm a college student, and even though I've found the opportunity to collect some extra funds in the present, I can't plan on doing it again in the future.

I'd like to purchase something in the 500-600cc range for something around $3000. I would prefer one thats already been dropped so I wont feel too bad when I do it myself. My only concern with the age of the bike is the lack of style; I prefer the somewhat updated looks, rather than the bloated out rounded bulky ones, or the ones that are too flashy colored. I need a bike that's good for around-the-town rides, but just as importantly, good on the highway, because I will be using it to save gas on frequent trips through the state.

I'm a fan of the Suzuki GSX-R's. What else is out there for me? Is there any way that I'm being unreasonable or unrealistic. Fell free to point me in the right direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
First of all, Welcome

Now let me address some things:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckandes1 View Post
I'm very young and I love my toys
Motorcycles are not toys. Look at this as rule number 1. They can and will kill you if you forget this rule.

Quote:
but I'm respectful and responsible, more-so than my age could ever imply.
We've heard this a million times before. No offense, but you aren't going to be the exception to the rules.

Quote:
With that said, I need my first bike to last me a while. Simply put, I don't want to outgrow this bike any time soon, because I can't afford to. I'm a college student, and even though I've found the opportunity to collect some extra funds in the present, I can't plan on doing it again in the future.
Most bikes these days tend to depreciate to a certain point, and then maintain their value. If you buy a lightly used starter bike, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to sell it at or above what you paid for it in a year or so. So don't think you need to start any bigger than anybody else.

Quote:
I would prefer one thats already been dropped so I wont feel too bad when I do it myself.
That's the smartest thing you've said so far. At least you realize that it's going to happen.

Quote:
My only concern with the age of the bike is the lack of style; I prefer the somewhat updated looks, rather than the bloated out rounded bulky ones, or the ones that are too flashy colored. I need a bike that's good for around-the-town rides, but just as importantly, good on the highway, because I will be using it to save gas on frequent trips through the state.
The '08 Ninja 250 is right around your price range, and has sleek looks and awesome economy

Quote:
I'm a fan of the Suzuki GSX-R's. What else is out there for me? Is there any way that I'm being unreasonable or unrealistic. Fell free to point me in the right direction.
Good choice for your second bike. I'm a fan of them myself. I'd suggest that you read through the new rider stickies again, and this time pay attention.

Oh, and don't forget to budget for gear. Cause when the bike goes down, you go with it.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 01:29 PM

I was going to reply to your second post, but now it's gone. Perhaps that's better because it was mostly justification on why you're different and why your particular circumstances warrant taking a path most of us here don't advise.

Driving a car - any car - has absolutely nothing to do with riding a bike. Do not for one second think that because you can throw a car through an S-curve that it will apply in any way to riding a bike. That will only make you over-confident from the start.

I can't add anything else beyond what Snake already said.

-
"We didn't trade shoves; I did all the shoving." -Bobby Knight, 1981

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

I wrote something back but I deleted it because I want to try this again. I wanted to keep my first post short and simple as to not be annoying, but now I see that I must explain myself a little better.

Let me start with this.. Of course you've heard that a million times. Thats because most people my age are idiots. I know you'd like to believe that I'm not the exception, but guess what. There are always exceptions to everything, you have to agree with this. Case and point, drivers who follows the laws. Most people do, but not everybody. That's why you gotta ride like everyone's trying to run you over, because some of them actually are. they are the exceptions that get bikers killed. I am an exception that knows that.

I may be 18, but I can confidently say that I'm years beyond anyone in my class. In fact, even on paper i'm two years ahead of my class. What do I mean by that? I graduated high school a little less then a year ago and I'm currently a junior in college. Yes I'll still be in college for a few more years, though it should only take me another 18 months to recieve my first bachelors. Life's not a joke, and I have a lot to live for. I look at the future, not the present, and I will do so when I get the urge to push my sportbike, because thats the same thing as getting the urge to kill myself and possibly others.

Kids they think that everything will work out just how they want it to and that there's no way these crazy things could happen to them. The stereotype that young people just aren't mature enough to handle this type of responsibility is something that I resent straight down to my core, but must agree that it's a stereotype that belongs there. Because, well, dammit it's true. I know plenty of people who have done foolish things in their cars and bikes, and paid a heavy price for it. I've seen it. So what's the difference for me? I'm not a kid.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you that speed and g-force doesn't thrill me, because it does. I've loved cars all my life, and one of the things I live for as that feeling when That clutch comes out with a balance as the gas is let in equally, supporting the groan of the engine as it screams through it's RPM range and the air around you is filled with the sound of thumping cylinders and screeching tires, and the smell of burnt rubber and smoke, as the back end of your car comes careening out adjacently and begins to travel next to you rather than behind. But that's a track story, not a street story. And that's a car story, not a bike story. You can take a car beyond it's limits, especially on an enclosed track where you have nothing to hit. All you can do is spin out. You can't do that with a bike, especially on the streets. You screw up, you die.

So please, try to understand that I may be one of the oldest 18 year old men you have ever met, and lets get back to the bikes, shall we?

I love the looks of the GSX-R, and Kawasaki Ninjas are fine too. Unfortunately though, I don't like all of them. The only ninja bodystyle that suits my taste is the ZX-#R. do they make a model under 650cc's?

It doesn't matter to me whether it's 400cc or 750cc, or even 250cc. I'm going to drive it all the same. My concerns that take the 250cc out of the equation is not that I'll look like a pussy, because trust me, my in-line 6 z3 Coupe will say otherwise. My concerns are more this: I need a bike that can definitely cruise at 80 for long periods of time without a problem, and I would imagine a 250 would be revving pretty high at that. Correct me if I'm wrong? But also, like I said, I'm a college student who looks into the future. It's very rare that I have the opportunity to spend extra funds on a luxury any more. If i do find myself with extra money in two or three years, I couldn't justify using it to upgrade my 250 to a 600, because that money would be better allocated if invested into my future. I simply cannot buy a second bike for a long time. I understand the first bike will not depreciate much, but I'm pretty sure that upgrades usually cost more.

Cliff notes: my heads on straight, and I'd like to keep it on there so I went be "playing with my bike". Assume I'm 35 because I may as well be. what 450-600cc bikes are out there for 3000-3500 price range?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Lifetime Premium

Wow, I guess I was wrong, you are the exception to the rules.

So why are you limiting yourself to the 600cc class? I'm sure you can go pick up a liter bike that's been dropped once or twice in your price range.

You can afford a Z3 coupe, why wouldn't it be financially feasible to upgrade bikes in a couple years? Buy a 250 now, you don't need upgrades, it can do highway speeds just fine, and then in a couple years when you've learned how to ride, you can upgrade to a 600.

I can see right through your post. You're not looking for a starter bike. I don't care how you want to word it, I'm already seeing through the BS. I can assure you that none of the regulars here are going to advise you to get a supersport, so you have come to the wrong place. Now if you put some thought into it and decide that you are indeed going to start off right, by all means come back and we will be more than happy to help you out. Until then, I don't really think we'll be telling you what you want to hear.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesht View Post
Wow, I guess I was wrong, you are the exception to the rules.

So why are you limiting yourself to the 600cc class? I'm sure you can go pick up a liter bike that's been dropped once or twice in your price range.

You can afford a Z3 coupe, why wouldn't it be financially feasible to upgrade bikes in a couple years? Buy a 250 now, you don't need upgrades, it can do highway speeds just fine, and then in a couple years when you've learned how to ride, you can upgrade to a 600.

I can see right through your post. You're not looking for a starter bike. I don't care how you want to word it, I'm already seeing through the BS. I can assure you that none of the regulars here are going to advise you to get a supersport, so you have come to the wrong place. Now if you put some thought into it and decide that you are indeed going to start off right, by all means come back and we will be more than happy to help you out. Until then, I don't really think we'll be telling you what you want to hear.
ok this is obviously not going well. It would have worked out better for me if I just lied and said i was 35 in the first place because that'd make me a different person, and I could get a better response out of people that way. I hate when people look down on me like this.

I bought the z3 coupe straight out in cash, because i started working full time when i was 15 and i saved all the money to buy the car. I have bills now, and i have a life now.

But anyway, I'm tired of trying to defend myself. Sometimes we've got to admit a loss and consider that we might be wrong. I guess I can be over confident about myself sometimes. So it's going to be a couple of months before I get the bike, mostly because I want to be sure i don't jump on this to fast with the wrong idea, in otherwords I'm considering your points. So what I'm going to do is test drive a 250 and see how i like it, maybe it'll suit me fine. maybe i can swing it for a little while and then spend some money again later somehow for a bigger bike, i don't know. I have some time to sleep on it.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Lifetime Premium

If you would have said you were 35, it would not have changed my recommendation, just my approach.

Then again, if you were 35 you probably wouldn't have come into a sportbike forum claiming you read through the new rider posts yet refer to bikes as toys, and follow up with talk of your abnormally high maturity level.

I was well above average in school too. When I was 18, I was an exception to every rule. I've never taken the controls of anything with wheels or wings that I couldn't learn how to operate quite easily. But I can tell you, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that sportbikes are the least forgiving vehicles on the road today. Sounds like you got a lot to live for, so for your own sake, use your head.

And as I said in my first post, leave money for gear. And go ahead and sign up for an MSF course. Perfect way to get the basics down.

-Will Rogers
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckandes1 View Post
ok this is obviously not going well. It would have worked out better for me if I just lied and said i was 35 in the first place because that'd make me a different person, and I could get a better response out of people that way. I hate when people look down on me like this.

I bought the z3 coupe straight out in cash, because i started working full time when i was 15 and i saved all the money to buy the car. I have bills now, and i have a life now.

But anyway, I'm tired of trying to defend myself. Sometimes we've got to admit a loss and consider that we might be wrong. I guess I can be over confident about myself sometimes. So it's going to be a couple of months before I get the bike, mostly because I want to be sure i don't jump on this to fast with the wrong idea, in otherwords I'm considering your points. So what I'm going to do is test drive a 250 and see how i like it, maybe it'll suit me fine. maybe i can swing it for a little while and then spend some money again later somehow for a bigger bike, i don't know. I have some time to sleep on it.
Even if you were 35, I would tell you to start on a 250 or 500. Age has nothing to do with it. If you were really mature enough to act like you're 35, you would have already realized that you can buy a starter bike now and sell it in a year or two and buy a better 600 than you could now for the same money. Your economic reasoning is just an excuse to go against the advice you've found here. While I applaud the fact that you're ahead in school, I don't agree that it equates to maturity or wisdom. What are you studying anyway?

-
"We didn't trade shoves; I did all the shoving." -Bobby Knight, 1981
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeeney View Post
Even if you were 35, I would tell you to start on a 250 or 500. Age has nothing to do with it. If you were really mature enough to act like you're 35, you would have already realized that you can buy a starter bike now and sell it in a year or two and buy a better 600 than you could now for the same money. Your economic reasoning is just an excuse to go against the advice you've found here. While I applaud the fact that you're ahead in school, I don't agree that it equates to maturity or wisdom. What are you studying anyway?
school has nothing to do with maturity or wisdom, I agree entirely. I understand what you're saying about the 600 pricing, and that makes sense. I'll have to stop being so stubborn and take the 250 back into consideration.

I'm double majoring in Construction Management and International Business.

and here's my current baby:

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

oh, so whatre some good places to look for bikes. craiglist, ebay, autotrader, anything else?

and btw of course i'll buy all the gear and take the MSF course. Thats kind of a given! where can i find the most reasonably priced gear and how much can i expect to spend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode