New Bike... 2004 Suzuki GSX-R 750 or 2004 Yamaha YZF-R6.. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

New Bike... 2004 Suzuki GSX-R 750 or 2004 Yamaha YZF-R6..

Hey everyone.. I am looking to purchase a bike, and have 2 friends that are selling bikes. They are both in great shape.. the GSX-R has 11,900 miles on it, and the Yamaha has just under 7000. They both have some aftermarket add-ons.. the Yamaha has more however (around $2k worth overall). I am going to be taking a look at, and testing out both bikes, however here is my problem. I can get either one for $5500 .. the GSX-R Blue Books considerably higher, and though it has less upgrades, might be the "better" purchase dollar for dollar.

I'm just looking for a few opinions from people who may have ridden both model bikes, or might own either. This would be my first bike (just can't make myself buy a 250cc first). I'm not worried about the extra power in the 750 GSX-R.. I just want to spend my hard earned money on the best possible choice!

What do you guys think about those 2 models? Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by Titan793; 05-20-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 01:11 PM

I will tell you flat out that no one here will recommend either of those bikes. Both are a very poor decision for new riders.

"not worried about the extra power" is also a poor attitude for new riders.

Do a search through the threads in this section and you will get all of the information you need on opinions of 600cc+ supersports and new riders.

Good luck.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 03:16 PM

Pussy, get yourself a litre bike. Only girls ride little bikes. I bet you sit to pee, too.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookeetree View Post
Pussy, get yourself a litre bike. Only girls ride little bikes. I bet you sit to pee, too.
Nice dude... lets kill the kid, ehh?

I know my post sounded harsh, but seriously.. has anyone else noticed that just about twice a week we have someone new on here that thinks they are somehow special and different from everyone else, and can somehow miraculously handle a 600cc+ bike even though they have never ridden before? They ALL seem to think that somehow their maturity or "knowledge" will keep the fast bikes from hurting them. It's insane. We might as well just start a catch-all thread titled "RIP". Any time a new rider joins that is adamant that they can handle it with no problem and refuses to listen to advice can just place their names in that thread. It can be their big farewell to the world before they actually go.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 04:32 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Quote:
What planet are you from? Those things make the same horsepower as a Focus. And everyone knows a Focus is slow. He needs a ZX-14 with a turbo and spray. And a red powerband.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 06:03 PM

A red powerband? What, and limit his horsepower potential? Are you mad?! The ZX-14 needs a GREEN powerband to achieve maximum hp.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX6R1033 View Post
I know my post sounded harsh, but seriously.. has anyone else noticed that just about twice a week we have someone new on here that thinks they are somehow special and different from everyone else, and can somehow miraculously handle a 600cc+ bike even though they have never ridden before? They ALL seem to think that somehow their maturity or "knowledge" will keep the fast bikes from hurting them. It's insane. We might as well just start a catch-all thread titled "RIP". Any time a new rider joins that is adamant that they can handle it with no problem and refuses to listen to advice can just place their names in that thread. It can be their big farewell to the world before they actually go.
Wow... I guess I should have spent more time on my post, and not rushed one out 3 minutes before I left work..

I don't think I'm special in any way, and I definitely do not take riding a motorcycle lightly. I posted in this section of the forums because this would technically be the first bike that I would own, however I have ridden several others before (various friends, throughout last summer and as often as possible this summer so far.. too much rain so far to get out very often). I've been on a liter bike as well (Yamaha R1), and although I didn't really do much on it, I didn't have any problems with it (mainly buzzed around some parking lots and back roads with that one)... that is the only reason that I wrote the "not worried about the extra power" part. I don't speed, stunt, act like an idiot, or take what they are capable of (killing me) lightly. That's all I was trying to get accross in my hastily thrown together post. I didn't have a lot of time before I punched out, so didn't include the detail that I guess I should have.

And yes, I will agree that neither of those are ideal as first bikes, however I have ridden others enough to know that I really don't want to buy a 250cc that I will want to sell before the summer is over.. I'd like something in the same class that I have been already learning on, that will last me for a while. My sister and her boyfriend both have GSX-R 600's, and I know that I like them as far as comfort and performance.. the 750cc that I'm considering is a bit faster than I have been looking for, but hard to pass up due to the price.

One more thing that I would like to mention.. I found this website in general maybe 15 minutes before I left work, so didn't have a ton of time to read through all the posts. I'm sure there are better beginner bikes (I do still consider myself a beginner), however I am presented with the opportunity to purchase one of the two that I had mentioned, so was just looking for some input on those specific models. I also need to decide if I want the GSX-R rather quickly, as he is moving this weekend, and we would need to get the paperwork dealt with before he leaves.

Anyway, I was just looking for some input.. I didn't mean to fall into the "Oh great, another inexperienced idiot who thinks they can ride anything on two wheels right out of the gate" category.. I just wanted opinions on those two bikes...
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 09:07 PM

The reaction is to threads like This (link). Yes, we see them often. I still think your two choices are very bad choices. There are many bikes to choose from that fall in between a 250 and a 600-750 Supersport. Just because you haven't run into any sticky situations as of yet doesn't mean you won't. As you are reading through some of the other posts, you will see the experienced riders, time and time and time and time and time again, explain in great detail that just because you don't stunt or drive fast really doesn't mean shit. Situations WILL arise, despite your best efforts, that will require certain reactions from you. As the bikes become faster, those reactions have to be much more precise. By the time you have hit a 600cc Supersport, you are already on a bike that will throw you to the ground so fast you won't know what happened when certain situations come up. Smaller (and different class) bikes will react much different and much more forgiving.

For example... You are pulling out off a side street. You accidentally give it too much throttle, and your back end slides a bit. Regardless of how "mature" of a rider you are and the fact that you don't "speed or stunt", as a new rider, your reaction will most likely be to jab the throttle shut. Congratulations... you made the wrong decision. The bike catches traction and you highside. You are now laying in the road 30' in front of your bike right in the middle of a busy road. And it all happened when you were traveling less than 10 mph.

If you had started on a bike that didn't break traction so easily, you would have had enough time to learn better throttle control and been much more comfortable with how the bike reacts to over-throttle. By the time the next season rolls around and you step up to a 600cc supersport, you have a better understanding of things like this. But since you skipped the first step, you are now 1 in 10 riders who is scared shitless of their bike.

That is just one of about 100 scenarios. And it WILL happen at some point. It always does. Always.

But since you have already made up your mind...

Aside from the fact that the R6 will be the slower of the two, and probably most recommended for that reason, it would all boil down to comfort and looks. Personally, I like the R6 better than any of the Gixxers I have ever ridden... except for the fact that you have to wind it out pretty good to get to the power. But then again, I'm just not comfortable comparing power differences of two supersport bikes with a new rider, so I won't go any further on that.

I am also a huge fan of Yamis quad projection headlights. I think they look sweet as hell.

My suggestion to you is to [very carefully] read through the new rider posts. Take 5 minutes and think VERY hard about your decisions. It's fine if you don't want a 250. There are still 500cc bikes and 600cc bikes both that are not supersports. They are fast enough to be fun, and it will take you quite a while before you can even ride at 80% of the bikes capability.

And for future reference, if you don't want negative responses about your lack of riding experience vs the very fast bikes you are looking at... post in "daily rider" or the manufacturer specific forums... not "new rider".
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 02:21 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Quote:
A red powerband? What, and limit his horsepower potential? Are you mad?! The ZX-14 needs a GREEN powerband to achieve maximum hp.
You kwackerheads all think that green is faster. Remember, you buy horsepower, but you drive torque. Thus the RED powerband.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesht View Post
You kwackerheads all think that green is faster. Remember, you buy horsepower, but you drive torque. Thus the RED powerband.

This is like listening to kids debate which moped is faster.

Get a black powerband and be done with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode