What? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Talking What?

First off im new to this forum but not new to forums...
Hello Everyone!
My first question is what is great bike to get for just starting out riding a sport bike, im interested in maybe track racing for fun one day so i want a great bike to learn on im about 5'5 if that makes a difference, i want the best of bost worlds meaning a bike thats not to pricey and also makes a great bike thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Maybe some of you think oh here we go another but i have plan im not ignorant or anything im going to get my permit for my M liscense since ill be 18 in about 6 months i thought might as well get my permit extra practice! im going to get my permit then take a Ride Rite Class if you know what that is in Corona CA then get my liscence 6 months after or 18!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 02:19 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Welcome!
Read the stickies in the new rider forum, should answer your question.

Basically, Ninja 250/500, GS 500, no race reps.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 03:43 AM
Strength and Honor

Welcome

And, what snake said

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcomes!
Im pretty sure im going to go for a Middlewieght class bike first
I want a CBR600RR or Daytona 675 but most likely the honda because i think we still know the VP Of Honda Motorcycles =]
Ill keep you posted but with whatever i get ill post pics!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 06:19 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Lol, why bother asking when you've already made up your mind and clearly aren't really looking for advice?

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesht View Post
Lol, why bother asking when you've already made up your mind and clearly aren't really looking for advice?
My bad let me explain! I mean pretend i end up dont knowing the VP of Honda Motorcycles and im just trying to get the Best Bang For The Buck Middleweight class? Does this help?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 02:44 PM

Do you want the best bang for the buck, or the best bike to learn on? They are not the same thing. For the best bang for the buck, get 2-3 year used liter bike. Can get one for a touch over 5k, and you will have more than 170hp at you command.
If you want the best bike to learn on, you need something that you can push to its envelope, without it instantly throwing you off. Something like a SV650, ER650 (or whatever its called) or maybe an f4i since you like hondas so much. This way you know what a bike feels like before it tries to kill you, and get to expirience it in slow motion.

Whichever you go with, get something used. You'll wreck it, cause everyone does, and why wreck a new bike?

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
Do you want the best bang for the buck, or the best bike to learn on? They are not the same thing. For the best bang for the buck, get 2-3 year used liter bike. Can get one for a touch over 5k, and you will have more than 170hp at you command.
If you want the best bike to learn on, you need something that you can push to its envelope, without it instantly throwing you off. Something like a SV650, ER650 (or whatever its called) or maybe an f4i since you like hondas so much. This way you know what a bike feels like before it tries to kill you, and get to expirience it in slow motion.

Whichever you go with, get something used. You'll wreck it, cause everyone does, and why wreck a new bike?
Well best bang for buck to learn on but i at least want a 600 or something maybe a used Triumph daytona 675 or something middlewieght and i never said i was in love with honda so much but if we still know the VP of Honda Motorcycles might get a Smokin deal you see if not then something used anything does this help
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 09:02 AM

Riding a bike fast, is all about controlling traction. Controlling traction is about being very smooth, limiting the transient loads on your tires, and understanding weight transfer, so that you know which tire has the most traction, and how you can take advantage of it.
so, the best bikes to learn on are softly sprung, with bad throttle response. The reason for that is that softly sprung bikes respond slowly, giving you time to think about whats going on, understand it, and adjust to it. Once you figure it out, it will become a reflexive action, and then you are ready to handle race replicas which have very sharp responce. They react instantly to what you do, and feel the slightest input. For example, a bikes handling changes sagnificantly based on weather or elbow is lying on the tank, or if its lifted up an inch. Now, if you dont have your body trained to do the right things (which are often counterintuative) than you are stuck with one of two scenarios. You can either take it real slow, not taking advantage of what your bike has to offer, and not being able to learn, because you are scared of your bike. Or you can go balls out, and crash your bike a few times while getting the gist of things, hopefully you will not have any permanent injuries.
The bad thing, is that learner bikes are not sexy. The sv650 and the 650r are more sesy than others, but are still lacking. The good news is that the unsexy bikes are cheap, and resale easily. Often you can sell them for what you bought them, after a year. Also, your insurance is highest when you start riding, and it really helps to have a bike that is cheap to insure untill your rates drop. So my advice is to pick up a starter bike, spend a season on it, then sell it and get a middleweight. By that time you should be running circles around someone who started out with a middleweight.
If you dont want to do that, go get a 600RR. out of the middleweights I've ridden (have not tried the 675) it is the easiest to go fast on, it feels the most neutral and predictable.

Have you taken your msf course yet?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode