Lacking Basic Knowledge - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 112 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

Red face Lacking Basic Knowledge

Help please

Stop signs- What's the deal.. One, two or four bikes at time?? Everybody I ride with does something different and some people tend to get bitchy if a car gets between us.

Yield signs- Um, I rolled up to one Saturday and went to stop (there was a car coming) and this dude on the bike behind me almost slams into my back tire. I mean he's like an inch and a half off my bike at a really strange angle for the road.. Then later tells me that he didn't almost hit me and it's OKAY to get that close to my bike!?!? Am I wrong for thinking he's a tool?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 112 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 04:56 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Stop signs: I'll have to look up the law, but my guess is it doesn't recognize bikes as a group, so technically it should be one bike at a time (I could be wrong). But whenever I'm with a group, we all make the turn at the same time, and for the most part, drivers don't seem to mind.

Yield signs: I hate it when people stop at these. They are designed to keep traffic flowing. That being said, were you riding with the guy on the other bike, or did he just happen to be there the same time as you? When I'm riding with friends, I'll sometimes squeeze in pretty close (or even give their rear tire a nudge) when coming to a stop, but if I come across other riders, I usually give them some extra space.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 112 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I was riding with him, but damn I didn't know people would get right up on you like that... And bumping tires?? Geez, remind me never to ride with you j/k Unless you want to see me drop my bike that is.

But hey, I took all the advice this weekend and had a MUCH better ride. It was like the first time ever that my shoulders weren't sore afterwards. Still can't get rid of my death grip on the throttle though. That may take some time.

post #4 of 112 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 06:41 AM
Lifetime Premium

It's never more than a little nudge just to get their attention, and I never do it to new riders or people I haven't ridden with a lot.

Death grips are hard to do away with, but just keep working on it. As long as you're not leaning on the bars, you've made a substantial improvement. Just keep working on your form, and like someone said on your other thread, imagine you're holding a wet sponge and not trying to squeeze any water out of it. That's about how much pressure you should have on the grips. Realistically, you'll have more than that, but it's just an easy way to remind yourself.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #5 of 112 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I got on the bike and took off down the road, thought about what you guys said and then realized I was completely leaning down on my bars with my weight again. So I checked myself like every ten minutes or so with the 'chicken dance' Totally worked and I felt much more relaxed.
post #6 of 112 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 07:41 AM
Strength and Honor

Rider groups are something you either dig or you don't. I wouldn't go through a stop sign with a pile of bikes either simply because I don't trust the cars to observe that and because I believe that to be illegal. Some cops are always looking for a way to write up a ticket for sportbikers, IMO.

On the yield, HR, you did the right thing. Of course you stop at a yield if there's a car coming down that road. To not do so would be..... foolish, asking for trouble, pick your term. Outside that circumstance, it is annoying to run into someone who stops when that's not called for, but if its clearly a new driver/rider, they get a bit of leeway.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #7 of 112 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 08:13 AM
Lifetime Premium

I see your point on the yield kanwisch, and it certainly depends on the area/road. But around here, there's normally enough time to get up to speed, and enough of an acceleration lane to find a hole in traffic. But there are exceptions.

As for stop signs, if there's a cop nearby, I'd probably sit back and follow the normal procedure, but then again, I'm always either the first/second bike in the group, or riding in the safety (cleanup, whatever you want to call it) position, so I don't normally have to worry about it. If everyone else has made it through, it's not an issue. But you always want to watch the other drivers to make sure they aren't trying to pull out, because there are drivers that will do VERY stupid and inconsiderate things just because they hate sportbike riders due to the bad rap we get as a result of all the squids around. Not to say I haven't engaged in irresponsible behavior, but I usually do so when the risk of other drivers/riders being effected is minimal.

-Will Rogers
post #8 of 112 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

I was actually incredibly stupid, bolted into the road and cut the car off after I saw the guy behind me. I though he was going to dump his bike on me so I misjudged the distance of the car and got lucky. Not one of my finer moments... In retrospect, even if he did hit me it would have been better then getting hit by a car
post #9 of 112 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=kanwisch;649341]Rider groups are something you either dig or you don't. QUOTE]

Yeah I can't WAIT until I can ditch my learners permit (hopefully Sunday). I just want to go out and ride by myself for a couple weeks. Sometimes it is a lot of fun with other people but sometimes it just annoys me. I haven't felt the freedom in riding yet and it's starting to get to me. One of my friends (who is new too) passed me in a left turn ON MY LEFT SIDE. I don't mean a nice big left curve, we were at a stop light making a tight left turn. I actually wait for the bike in front of me to take off THEN I go. He apparantly thought it was a good idea to go as soon as the light turned green. I was ready to put my bike up until my MSF course. Sorry for the rant, I'm still a little mad about that one...
post #10 of 112 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 01:07 PM

It sounds as if the people you ride with don't respect the fact that you're a new rider. You've given a bunch of examples of why I don't like to ride with people I don't know very well. People around you need to be giving you more space until you're much more experienced and you know each other's riding habits better. Is it possible to ride with just one or two people instead of a group? It would be helpful to ride with experienced riders who could watch you and give you pointers. Riding with the group you've described sounds dangerous, especially with other new riders doing stupid things. The group experience is not worth getting hurt.

-
"We didn't trade shoves; I did all the shoving." -Bobby Knight, 1981
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode