New to riding and kinda nervous! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

New to riding and kinda nervous!

Hey all.

So I recently decided to get a motorcycle for the summer. The main reason for deciding was gas prices (>.<) but I have always toyed with the idea of getting one one day. So within the last week I have signed up for the MSF class, bought a jacket and gloves online, and shopped around for a bike.

I am 99% decided on what I am gonna get. I am 5'8" and 145 lbs so I figure a Ninja 250 would be my best bet. A hyosung GT250R would be nice but harder to find. I plan on getting an older one, for several reasons. Its much cheaper, and I figure if I ever lay it down it wouldn't be as bad as laying down an '08.

So I have been searching fervently for a decently priced bike in my area, and I found http://bellingham.craigslist.org/mcy/656025062.html
I don't think it's too bad, it looks to be in good shape and all that.

If anyone has any tips for a newbie they wanna share they would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBain59 View Post
Hey all.

So I recently decided to get a motorcycle for the summer. The main reason for deciding was gas prices (>.<) but I have always toyed with the idea of getting one one day. So within the last week I have signed up for the MSF class, bought a jacket and gloves online, and shopped around for a bike.

I am 99% decided on what I am gonna get. I am 5'8" and 145 lbs so I figure a Ninja 250 would be my best bet. A hyosung GT250R would be nice but harder to find. I plan on getting an older one, for several reasons. Its much cheaper, and I figure if I ever lay it down it wouldn't be as bad as laying down an '08.

So I have been searching fervently for a decently priced bike in my area, and I found http://bellingham.craigslist.org/mcy/656025062.html
I don't think it's too bad, it looks to be in good shape and all that.

If anyone has any tips for a newbie they wanna share they would be greatly appreciated!
Sounds like a good plan. Easy to handle and learn on, and 60+ mpg.

Take the MSF course, practice the exercises frequently, and find someone to ride with. Safety margin for motorcycles actually goes up, and stress goes down when you ride with other motorcycles.

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 03:25 AM
Strength and Honor

Sounds like you've got a solid plan in place

Welcome

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 04:44 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Welcome

Glad to see another rider starting off the right way.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 06:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
Good job on doing your homework and gradually getting into the sport.

Good luck in your purchase.

http://www.bikerplanet.net
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

thanks for all the nice replies! so i have another question.

I bought gloves and a jacket online, am i gonna need anything else besides this? (and a helmet of course).

i was planning on wearing jeans and bball shoes or something like that when i ride
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Riding boots would be a good investment. The only time I don't wear mine is if I'm going to work because they are too uncomfortable to walk around in all day, and too cumbersome for my pack.

Riding pants are also recommended, but I don't really wear mine anymore and that's at my own risk. Just remember shoes without ankle support (just because they come over your ankle doesn't mean they support them) and jeans aren't going to do much when you go down. Yes you read that right, I said when you go down, not if.

That being said, you made an excellent choice for a first bike, and the MSF is a great way to get introduced into riding. I hope you maintain the direction you're on.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBain59 View Post
So within the last week I have signed up for the MSF class, bought a jacket and gloves online, and shopped around for a bike.

You're probably going to want a helmet, too.

also... get some boots. The last thing you want is to have the road grind your ankles off if you go down.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 03:11 AM
Strength and Honor

I went down more times than I like to count and am convinced the riding-specific boots have prevented my ankles from being broken, and I've had some really nasty crashes.

As for pants, let me say that I've gone down at ~5mph and it was as if the jeans weren't even there. Some nasty roadrash left scars on both my knees. That said, if you opt to go that route anyway, then I recommend choosing the darkest colored, least "washed"/"worn" jeans you can find. The lightening process denim manufacturers use involves putting the denim into a huge bin with rocks and water and running them 'round and 'round, thus thinning the material while giving you that light, used look. For crashes you obviously want as much material as possible.

There are denim-style pants specifically for riding if you're really concerned about image (understandable for certain circumstances). Check out Draggin' Jeans as one example. There are more than a few others.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 09:58 AM

Kan is definitely right about riding in Jeans. I still ride that way from time to time, but I have gone down at 5mph while wearing them, too. Even the darkest colored pants won't do any good. I was wearing a brand new pair... and I mean BRAND new. It was on my birthday two years ago, and the pants were a gift. I was out for an afternoon ride with a friend, and I went down. Actually, my friend put me down, but I'll save that story for another time.

I ended up with some pretty good rash on my left leg. Jeans definitely don't help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode