logistics... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

logistics...

so, im 19 and a college student in boston... with a drivers license from illinois. This summer i'll be staying in boston, through the next school year. EDIT: oh yeah, and i want to get a motorcycle.

how should i go about this? I'm thinking the easiest (short term) way would be to just get a mass license, take the msf out here, and be done with it...

but... theres a couple long term issues with that plan... first, im subletting a place for summer, and would be back in dorms in september, and maybe back home the following summer.... so idk how the changes of address will effect everything.

second... if i get a mass license, do i have to get mass insurance, or will i be able to get put on my insurance back home?

if i find a way to keep my IL license (take msf here, mail cash and documents to the dmv and have em send it back), still... how would insurance work out here?

so yeah... any ideas would be appreciated?

Last edited by anonymousjohn; 05-04-2008 at 07:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

anyone? any ideas at all? apparently everyone who's ever got into motorcycling did it in their state of permanent residence?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 07:23 PM

Insurance isn't state issued like licenses or registrations. Your insurance company will want to know where you are, but it really doesn't matter what state you get it in.

You can take the MSF in Mass... your state should recognize it. However, there are two problems you are overlooking. First one is your test for your permit and your license. Neither can be taken VIA mail. Next is the fact that you cannot ride out of state on a permit, which rules that one out as well.

and FYI - You have to be a bit patient about having posts answered on weekends. This is a sportbike forum. Most of the people here are out riding all weekend. Mondays and Tuesdays are when all the activity occurs around here.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

yeah, i did know that about the permit and license thing... i did have a permit in IL from last summer that never got used (plans changed) that i could have sent up here, but again, cant use that to take the MSF here, and even if i could, i sincerely doubt that i could get an M-class lic. from across state lines....

so, looks like i'd have to get a mass license... which isn't a big deal.

i'll give the insurance agent (or the folks, insurance agent is a relative) a call tomorrow or something. only reason i ask is that the family (and discount for multiple drivers, home, all that) is with american family, and im pretty sure they don't deal in MA. (which idk if that would get complicated if i technically become a mass resident....)

but i s'pose i could just find insurance elsewhere.

thanks zx6.

EDIT: and i'll be damned... lots of major companies dont offer motorcycle insurance in MA. so far out of some of the big names (state farm, american family, geico, progressive, and allstate) only allstate offers insurance here. whats up with that?

if anyone in particular knows about american family or has any other specific insight toward my dilemma, let me know... otherwise, i'll just figure stuff out tomorrow with a few phone calls.

Last edited by anonymousjohn; 05-04-2008 at 08:34 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 11:10 PM

I think you will find it has nothing to do with the state. Progressive will not write ins for anyone without a motorcycle endorsement. They won't even talk to you about it. Being 19, even when you get your endorsement, most ins companies will want to charge you an arm and a leg if you have to get full coverage.

As for allstate... well... just my opinion, but I absolutely hate them. They have got to be one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with.

Since your ins broker is a family member, you will get all of the answers you need on ins from him. None of the other companies are ever really willing to talk new riders through anything like this when they don't already have their license... let alone no MSF or Permit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode