Getting back into bikes(long read, warn.) - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Getting back into bikes(long read, warn.)

Alright, well this is my first post here so HI! Names Stephen, 11 days from 19, cinco de mayo, hell ya lol. 5'8, 140lbs if you need my size. I'm a firm believer in a certain saying that goes alittle sumthing like "It's not in years you become wiser, but in knowledge." With that being said, I've been on bikes pretty much 15 years of my life. I started on dirtbikes, raced them, eventually almost hit A class and took a big spill, then stopped. Then got on sportbikes and have riddin a few newer 600s (97 and 03 GSX-R600, 05 CBR600) I need mainly advise on what you guys think would be the best Daily Driver(or rider? lol) to work, the g/f's, and those weekend sprint rides. A couple bikes I was looking at were the K6-K7 GSX-R600-750, 05-07 YZF-R6, 04-07 CBR600. The GSX-R750 i found a good deal on and can put a hefty down payment for and finance the rest without a problem. As for everything else, I'll be looking at used or new if i can find a deal. Don't want to spend an arm and drop it in a couple months huh? lol. I love the ergo's of the GSX-Rs and CBR's, and power of both bikes, but recently got curious about the Yamaha's and Kawasaki's too. I dont go into things head first though, I like to thoroughly think things out at times before i do them. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ThrakenH06; 04-25-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 02:24 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Welcome

As far as bike selection, it's going to be about which one is most comfortable. Sit on them all, and find the seat/controls that suit you best. Or you can do what I did and go with the best deal (which I don't regret whatsoever, btw).

I imagine you've already set aside some cash for gear?

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesht View Post
Welcome

As far as bike selection, it's going to be about which one is most comfortable. Sit on them all, and find the seat/controls that suit you best. Or you can do what I did and go with the best deal (which I don't regret whatsoever, btw).

I imagine you've already set aside some cash for gear?
Yes sir, about 800 just for gear, Need helmet and leathers advise for florida weather, and I have a pair of boots from when i was riding dirtbikes(Alphinestars Tech-10s) that i can use? Im also going to be taking my MSF course with the bike I choose. Pretty much, im in love with the GSX-R750s, but have never riddin one and I want something i can still progress on with alittle bit more power. How do they compare to the older 600s? How does the kawasaki 05-07 ZX-6r compare to the K7 GSX-R750 in handling, power, gas economy and things of that nature. I believe the newer ones have a displacement of 636 which should make them a bit more torquier. Sorry for all the questions.

Last edited by ThrakenH06; 04-26-2008 at 07:48 AM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 08:00 AM
Strength and Honor

snake's right, among the supersports you're not going to notice any difference in power or handling unless you plan to track it every weekend and then perhaps in two seasons you'd have some preferences. Looks and comfort should be your starting point, IMO.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 08:01 AM
Lifetime Premium

800 will get you a helmet and jacket. Your boots should be just fine, since the crucial parts are ankle support and enough flexibility to shift/brake.

Back to the bikes: are you going to be racing? If so, will it be drag/road course or both?
If you're not going to race, any of the bikes in the 600-750cc category will have plenty of power that you won't get bored with them. It is difficult to keep the front wheel of modern 600's on the ground during full-out acceleration in first gear, and into second. And since you're my size (only a bit lighter) these bikes will scoot.

As far as the difference in power between the 600/636/750, there's not a whole lot of difference that I'm aware. I know the 750 is supposed to have more grunt, but my '05 600 can hang with an '06 750. So even considering that the guy on the 750 doesn't know how to ride, the differences can't be that great.

I've never ridden a Kawasaki bike, so I cannot tell you anything about the 636. I doubt 36cc's really adds on a lot of noticeable power though.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
800 will get you a helmet and jacket. Your boots should be just fine, since the crucial parts are ankle support and enough flexibility to shift/brake.

Back to the bikes: are you going to be racing? If so, will it be drag/road course or both?
If you're not going to race, any of the bikes in the 600-750cc category will have plenty of power that you won't get bored with them. It is difficult to keep the front wheel of modern 600's on the ground during full-out acceleration in first gear, and into second. And since you're my size (only a bit lighter) these bikes will scoot.

As far as the difference in power between the 600/636/750, there's not a whole lot of difference that I'm aware. I know the 750 is supposed to have more grunt, but my '05 600 can hang with an '06 750. So even considering that the guy on the 750 doesn't know how to ride, the differences can't be that great.

I've never ridden a Kawasaki bike, so I cannot tell you anything about the 636. I doubt 36cc's really adds on a lot of noticeable power though.
Ok, what do you guys think of this helmet?
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...fCatId=&mmyId=

and these for leathers? Also, do you guys use a certain way to get a proper size for leathers, Like how people buy a helmet that squeezes the shit out of their head and wait for it to break in.
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...d=40206&mmyId=

Back to bikes:
I should of put that first, I'll be doing probably 50% street, 25% drag, 25% road course. I guess you can say, I want a bike that can do it all, while maintaining reliability. How many people are able to DD their bikes and run a couple seasons? My friend blew up his CBR600 within a year at the drag strip, and tho he tends to ride pretty hard, he's anal about maintenance too.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 09:28 AM
Lifetime Premium

I've never had, or known anybody who had a Suomy helmet. It looks like it's fairly decent, and for the price, it better be.

Alpinestars makes good gear. However if you're looking to race you might consider finding one that has a 360-degree zipper for pants, unless you're going to get a separate suit for riding.

-Will Rogers
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

I've heard some things about their dirtbike helmet line, nothing about their sportbike line so thats why i was asking. Anyone around with a kawi to put in a word about them? I'll have to admit, last time i rode a sportbike, i had tennis shoes, an old ass arai helmet, and some dirtbike gloves(I know, i know lol). What kind of gear should i be looking for, for 85% hot and humid and 15% cold weather, I mean, its florida lol. And Im sure I can put down more $$ to get some decent gear so at least I'm safe, I didn't think it was as expensive as it is though. I might get 2 different sets for DD and track days so fill me in on both. Once again, thanks for helping a new rider out.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 08:28 PM
Lifetime Premium

Basically, leather offers up the best protection but least breathability. There is some perforated leather that does a better job at keeping you cool, and some jackets have decent vents that you can open/close with a zipper. Personally, I've always liked the vents in the Joe Rocket jackets that are on the inside of your elbow. In a riding position, they open up wide, and are in a very good position to cool your underarms. But I currently am a fan of the Icon TiMax nylon jackets. They have good protection, and breathe better than leather. This will be the case for most textile jackets. It basically depends on how much comfort you want to sacrifice for safety. But for track, you definitely want, and AFAIK need to have leather. It really is your best bet, but textile will work. It's kind of the same thing as finding a bike and helmet. Go try them all out, get a feel for what is the most comfortable, and then find the style you like closest to that fit.

-Will Rogers
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Basically, leather offers up the best protection but least breathability. There is some perforated leather that does a better job at keeping you cool, and some jackets have decent vents that you can open/close with a zipper. Personally, I've always liked the vents in the Joe Rocket jackets that are on the inside of your elbow. In a riding position, they open up wide, and are in a very good position to cool your underarms. But I currently am a fan of the Icon TiMax nylon jackets. They have good protection, and breathe better than leather. This will be the case for most textile jackets. It basically depends on how much comfort you want to sacrifice for safety. But for track, you definitely want, and AFAIK need to have leather. It really is your best bet, but textile will work. It's kind of the same thing as finding a bike and helmet. Go try them all out, get a feel for what is the most comfortable, and then find the style you like closest to that fit.
Thanks for everything snake, Im heading to the dealer tomarrow to do exactly that. And thanks everyone who contributed. This forum has the usual retards here and there(been reading alot of old posts lol, does twisterhonda ring a bell? lol), but there seem to be alot of good people here as well. Glad i found this site lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode