Looking at picking up my first bike, big sportbike from Suzuki Hayabusa... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Looking at picking up my first bike, big sportbike from Suzuki Hayabusa...

...OK, now that I've got your attention

Not having a death wish, I'm not buying a Hayabusa, but would like some thoughts on the relative merits of some entry level bikes. I've read the stickied beginner links and am hoping to get some first hand feedback from some of the folks on here.

First off, I'm 40, married, not a risk taker and don't need to go 1000 mph with my hair on fire. I'm looking for something more along the lines of "Mercedes SL" than "Lambo Diablo", composed, smooth, and powerful enough to be entertaining. I also realize that I'm a complete noob and have a lot of learning to do.

My first bike will be used. I'm thinking along the lines of the Kaw 500 Ninja, Suzuki GS500 or possibly an SV650, or a Buell Blast (which I'm liking as it is somewhat unusual, which appeals to me). I will of course be taking an MSF course before getting serious.

If anyone can comment on these particular models and how they stack up, I would appreciate the input. The bike would be a Sunday morning type ride, with occasional commuting on Michigan's fine road system - just like Baghdad without the IEDs! (my tax money at work.... )

Thanks much for what looks to be a very informative site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 01:26 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to DemonRR
sv650
cbr 600rr
gixxer 600
kawi 636

any of those will be good. but seeing how youve never been on a bike, i would suggest a ninja 500 or the sv650 over the rest of the mentioned bikes above. todays 600cc bikes have enough power to get you in trouble if not careful.

Redline Superbike Member

2004 Honda CBR 1000rr WSBK TenKate Hann Spree race replica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 02:47 PM

2007 Monster 695!

Last edited by lizzi; 04-24-2008 at 01:32 AM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 03:53 PM

All good beginner choices you have there with the ninja 500 being the most commonly suggested and chosen first ride from your list. The SV650 I hear is pretty beginner friendly too. As far as the buell blast it is a really good beginner bike but you won't get many recommendations for it here because this is a sportbike forum not a H-D/Cruiser one. The SV650 will likely take you the longest to outgrow while the easy learning nature of the blast may leave you wanting more just months after getting it.

As for everyone else's recommendations, why not just have him start on a ZX-14 cuse becoming a good rider quick and staying alive/uninjured is very low on the priority list when not outgrowing your bike being #1 priority of the first bike right? So instead of the 600 and liter first bike recommends lets just start all the newbs at 1400, if they die it just wasn't meant to be and if they don't we'll just see how long they last.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 06:15 PM

i would suggest the Ninja 250R - its revamped and looks sweet for 2008.. brand new it is $3,500.. you can't really lose with the bike.. ride it for a season, learn to ride, then if you like it then sell it and get a bigger bike the next year.. just my thought... of course a Ninja 500 isn't a bad choice either.. you should really think used for your first bike - something maybe not in perfect shape - that way when you drop it in a parking lot or knock it over in the garage or something you won't be heartbroken.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpuppy View Post
i would suggest the Ninja 250R - its revamped and looks sweet for 2008.. brand new it is $3,500.. you can't really lose with the bike.. ride it for a season, learn to ride, then if you like it then sell it and get a bigger bike the next year.. just my thought... of course a Ninja 500 isn't a bad choice either.. you should really think used for your first bike - something maybe not in perfect shape - that way when you drop it in a parking lot or knock it over in the garage or something you won't be heartbroken.
That's exactly why I tend to buy all my toys used - well, that and the depreciation. Bought a new offshore boat once and had to write a healthy check 3 years later when I sold it - not fun. Only used toys unless I win the lotto!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 05:43 AM
Strength and Honor

Mr.MI, you sound pretty similar to me. Right now I'm hoping to get some coin for a Kawi 650R, which is the market competitor to the SV650S. Either of those are great choices for around-the-town bikes and are a bit on the powerful side for new riders but not totally unacceptable. And both have a couple of active bike-specific forums where I'd start my search for something used. In my experience, that's where you usually find the good deals more regularly.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post
Mr.MI, you sound pretty similar to me. Right now I'm hoping to get some coin for a Kawi 650R, which is the market competitor to the SV650S. Either of those are great choices for around-the-town bikes and are a bit on the powerful side for new riders but not totally unacceptable. And both have a couple of active bike-specific forums where I'd start my search for something used. In my experience, that's where you usually find the good deals more regularly.
Do you have links for these forums? I'd love to sit back and lurk for a bit...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 09:11 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
I have a Blast I'd be willing to sell.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMichigan View Post
Do you have links for these forums? I'd love to sit back and lurk for a bit...
yeah for real i am looking for a good track bike..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode