Is there a too big? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Is there a too big?

I'm about 6'2"-3" but I'm a big guy. I weigh like 260 lbs. Is there a too big for a sport bike? I'm just getting into them and I want to know if I should just forget about it..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 03:12 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Just getting into them you should forget about any current 4-banger race rep (600, 1000). A Ninja 500 will hustle you around just fine, and combined with the MSF and some gear, might help you live long enough to enjoy a Supersport.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 04:13 AM

A friend of mine is around 320-340lbs and he rode a 600 for a while

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 06:20 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
You're roughly the same size I am. I've ridden some 600's and and 1100 just fine. Hell even a Buell Blast can make my fat ass out-accelerate most cars on the road.

Short answer: No, you're not too big.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 06:51 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Just to throw this out there, my 600 has a seat height of 32.5 inches and my 999 is at 30.5 inches. When I put them side-by-side, the 600 is noticeable bigger in physical size (though the wheelbase is shorter by 20mm). The 999 is heavier, though it doesn't necessarily feel it. So "bigger" isn't necessarily bigger if you get my drift.

You're not that heavy compared to some of the people I've seen on smaller-displacement bikes. Ergonomically, the SV (or similar) would probably be more comfortable than a supersport anyways. Don't rule out the GS-500F either. It's not as potent as other bikes, but awesome to learn on.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWages View Post
I'm about 6'2"-3" but I'm a big guy. I weigh like 260 lbs. Is there a too big for a sport bike? I'm just getting into them and I want to know if I should just forget about it..
Height-wise, yeah, you'll be a bit more cramped, but nothing that a lot of other big riders haven't been able to get used to.

Weight-wise, Mrs Tree and I used to go two-up on her 250 when we first started riding. That little 40hp bike was able to push our combined 300lbs to a respectable 95mph, so you should be able to jump on a 500 and have a load of fun.

Don't fall into the trap that many newbie's do and start thinking you'll get bored with a smaller cc bike. Take the advice of people who've been there and start small, learn how to ride the socks off it, then upgrade. Those who start too big are always trying to "keep up" wth their bike, limiting their learning curve.

Welcome to SBW and welcome to motorcycling!

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

I'm in no hurry to jump onto an R1, lol.

I'm ready to start small and learn, then upgrade.

What are some cheap bikes that would be good for learning?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 07:36 PM

Cheap is a relative term. In the world of new bikes, $6000, is "cheap" and some great beginner bikes would be a Suzuki SV-650 or Kawasaki Ninja 650R. For $5000 you can get a new Ninja 500R.

Cheap in the used market it a lot, well, cheaper. $2000-$3000 will get you a mint condition Ninja 500R, or Honda CBR 600 F2/F3. $3000-$3500 gets an SV-650.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 11:56 PM

I use to own a 600 and i am your weight; I had no problems at all. I would suggest something of this size for you though. With your weight I don't think you will be satisfied with a bike that doesn't make enough power to push you around without felling like your pulling something. I got rid of the 600 because I think I adjusted after only a month or two and just felt like the bike was to slow. But, then again all the guys I was running with were on big bikes so I think it depends on your situation in order to figure out what kind of bike you should get. Please stay around 600 though, because even though I think the 5s' are going to be too small I would rather you live than jump on a 7class or higher because you got a good deal and ended up splattered somewhere due to inexperience. All up to you, but thats my input if it helps at all. P.S. I think the gsxrs' are the most comfortable bike, but you may like the kawasaki cuz im pretty sure they sit higher.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjpslide? View Post
...I got rid of the 600 because I think I adjusted after only a month or two and just felt like the bike was to slow. But, then again all the guys I was running with were on big bikes so I think it depends on your situation in order to figure out what kind of bike you should get...
This is exactly what I was talking about.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode