Tall N00b - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Tall N00b

I'm nearly 17 and have wanted a bike for I dont know how long. I raced karts as a kid and have always liked speed and the rush of motor sports. Natually, I've always loved sport bikes. I'm now looking to start riding.

I'm about 6'3 or 6'4, 165lbs, and most of my height is in my legs. I've been reading around here that this could be a problem.

I am in no hurry to jump on an R1 or anything. I want to be sure that if I'm going to learn to ride I'm going to do it correct and safe. I figure bikes are already death on wheels, there's no need to incourage it.

I have read the Kawi 250r are real nice for a new rider, but they do not fit tall people well. I've heard that bigger Kawis are better for bigger people, but I'm not sure a bigger motor is as smart.

My buddy rode, got in an accident and went into a coma, so safety is my main concern. But if I'm going to spend money I want to make sure I'm also having fun.

I realize this is a tired question, but some good clarification is much needed.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 08:51 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Quote:
Originally Posted by apex22 View Post
I have read the Kawi 250r are real nice for a new rider, but they do not fit tall people well. I've heard that bigger Kawis are better for bigger people, but I'm not sure a bigger motor is as smart.
Bingo. Go sit on one and see how it feels. Or, if you've taken the MSF course (which you should definitely do before getting a bike) and caught on well, you could consider a 500 or even an SV-650 or similar twin.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 04:18 AM

I've known a guy thats 6'2" and he never complained about his SV650. If you go to the race rep side of things (which isnt a good idea) you are best going to yamahas, as they tend to have higher seat heights.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Strength and Honor

The Kawi 650R is the competitor version of the SV650R so you might check that out as well.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 07:40 PM

I agree with everyone here, the Kawasaki Ninja 500R and 650R and the Suzuki SV-650 are going to be good bets. All of these bikes are going to have much more humane ergonomics, especially for somebody your height, compared to any of the supersport 600's (which aren't good for beginners anyway)

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 06:26 AM

I havent ridden the 650R, but I know the designers went thru considerable trouble to obtain a lower seat height (see oddball rear shock location). I wouldnt think that would be good for taller riders

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Well today I went to a shop and sat on some Kawis, Suzukis and Ducatis and enjoyed every minute of it.

Aside from the Ducatis, I think the zx-6r felt best. But overall most seemed to have enough room for my knees.

Depending on how the Hondas and Yamahas fit, I think a zx-6r is what I'm going to go for. Maybe a 98-03. Would that be smart for a beginner bike?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 08:01 AM
Strength and Honor

No. I can't speak to the '98's but the '01-'08s are excessive for the needs of a new rider and can be problematic to put it mildly. See New Rider forum stickies.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apex22 View Post
...I think a zx-6r is what I'm going to go for. Maybe a 98-03. Would that be smart for a beginner bike?
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Stay away from any of the 600cc class inline fours. These things are very peaky. They produce f*ck-all power down low, then pull like sh*t higher up top. Not good for a beginner. The 500cc twins produce good, even power, without the need for high rev's. This type of power curve is much better suited to new riders.

And let's not even get into the geometry and braking differences between the two classes!!

I know the 600's are smokin' hot to look at compared to the 500's, but they are NOT beginner-friendly bikes.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode