Need Guidance before attempting purchase - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Need Guidance before attempting purchase

I am looking for some guidance before I start my search for a sportbike.

I currently have a Harley which is financed and of which, I owe the bank more than the cost of a Busa or ZX14 (my 2 choices). I am trying to sell the Harley first but with the economy as it is, I have yet to get any calls. I have it on all major cycle ad locations. I have even lowered the price significantly in an attempt to sell. Still no calls. I guess I should wait until I sell it before trying to by another cycle but I am getting ancy.

So, my question is, would a Suzuki or Kawi dealer offer me enough to make a decent sale or am I going to be too far out financially for it to happen. No, I have not been to a dealer yet since I did not want the pressure-sale treatment.

I can't afford another bike payment without selling my Harley or rolling the negative equity into the sportbike.

I have excellent credit, the bike is always garaged, low mileage, excellent condition with some custom parts etc...

Any thoughts or ideas someone could share?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 07:07 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
I'm sure every dealership is different, and the fact that I'm in another region of the country might have some effect, but for the most part I've never seen a dealership give a good deal on a trade-in. You're definitely going to come out better if you sell the bike in a private sale. I'd go to the dealerships and just see what kind of deal they're willing to work out with you. You might be surprised. And either way, it's your money which they can't make you spend. Just don't make it seem like you're desperate to make the deal happen, cause they will really turn the heat up. Play it cool, walk in knowing what you'd accept for trade and if they won't do it, walk out.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Snakesht.

I for sure would not go for the sale based on the pressure tactics, I just don't like to be in that environment. I guess the best bet is like you said, try to sell on my own and make a visit WITHOUT my Harley and inquire as to the type of deals. That way, they can't see my bike, or see a possible sale without my trade-in present. Perhaps they will give me some type of "baseline" to work with and I can make my determination from there.

It is almost better to sell my Harley as low as I can afford to go, pay the balance to the bank out of pocket and start fresh with a new bike with no negative equity in it.

Last edited by Silvrsrfr; 04-10-2008 at 07:54 AM. Reason: added a word

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 07:41 AM
Lifetime Premium

That may be the route you have to take. I'd make sure to list it anywhere and everywhere to try to get the private sales. Papers, classifieds, online, and even ad boards at retail locations. Hell, put up posters on light posts if you need to. Negative equity is never a good thing, regardless of how good your credit is.

Have you asked your doctor and lawyer if they have a harley yet?

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Actually, yep I have asked everyone around me if they have an interest in buying and that they would get the extra discount for being a friend ahaha... Still no takers, oh well..... I think I will continue to try and sell it first before buying a new bike.

I have been leaning towards the Busa but I would like a new one but I am not thrilled about the tail section on the 08 so perhaps and 09 might be different or I at least I am hoping.

I have also been looking at the ZX14 which appears to be a more comfortable ride with more of an upright posture. Your thoughts?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Lifetime Premium

I have done nothing more than sit on both of those bikes, so I cannot tell you anything about how they ride. There are probably dozens of threads about it though. If I run across anything I'll throw a link up for you.

Personally I agree that the tail of the busa is ugly, and the front of the zx-14 is ugly. I saw a zx-14 at the dealership the other day with a charcoal/dark red paint scheme that looked really awesome though. And i've heard that despite its insane power the kawi is a very smooth bike, easy to handle and comfortable for touring.

Then there's always the Suzuki B-king...I'm interested in seeing how the reviews of it are.

-Will Rogers
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 08:40 AM
Strength and Honor

I'm not sure why snake has missed this, but neither of those bikes is going to be a good fit unless you have extensive experience, in which case you posted this in the wrong forum. A high cc sportbike compared to a high cc cruiser is like comparing a Cessna to the Space Shuttle Discovery. Since you do have some riding experience I'm not sure a 250/500 is a good choice, but for smooth, constant power bands you should be considering bikes that DON'T have an inline 4 engine

As for you hopes about the 'busa body change, I'd say that's nearly a 0% chance of occurrence because it just underwent a major redesign so it won't be due for some time.

Hope all that helps and welcome!

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 08:50 AM
Lifetime Premium

Sorry, kanwisch...I'm slacking today. I'm usually one of the first to jump on that.

And as far as the design, does Suzuki stick with the "major change every 4 years" with the busa too?

-Will Rogers
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Strength and Honor

I don't follow 'busas too closely so I'm guessing, but my recollection is that its been a longer time between major remodels.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Lifetime Premium

BTW, kanwisch I just ran across a thread where the OP said he has 30 yrs of riding experience. So I'm going to assume that he has the experience/maturity to handle either bike.

-Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode