freshly new - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

freshly new

So i am very new to the whole sportbike world. I recently made the desision that i would like to get a sportbike for the summer.. I'm looking at older ones (90's) and wanting a 250 or 600 at the max. I'll probably only spend about 2,000 dollars on one because for one, that's all i really can afford and also i want one that i can slide and not have it be a big deal. I've been into cars for a long time and have a nice 2g 98 mitsubishi eclipse but i think it's time for another toy. I live in northern iowa but am moving to chicago in august to go to U.T.I. for auto mechanics. Anyways glad to meet you all and sorry ahead of time about the stupid questions i may ask in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. I'm sure you'll find that for the most part everyone here will help you out as much as possible. Good choice sticking with an older, smaller bike for starters. I started on a '92 Honda CBR600F2 back in '03. It got be by for a while until I got my Gixxer. Anyways, if you got any questions fire away. and welcome to SBW!

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

thanks man i'll keep that in mind. I have been looking at some bikes around the internet, mostly on craigslist, and have found some items of interest. I found a 85 kawasaki 600 for 1000 dollars with 25000+ miles on it. Now i know i get what i pay for but, and that's not a lot of money or anything, but what is considered a high mileage for a bike.. does this seem like a good deal?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Oops, actually it's a 88 with 25,574 and new tires
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 01:20 AM

if a bike is maintained 25k is nothing just like a car, that bike probly sat for a long time and the tires dry rotted, if you are interested in it ask the owner if you can take it to a shop and have it looked over before you buy it so you dont get stuck with junk that you cant ride. welcome to SBW

scott
2002 CBR 954 RR
when you are on a honda you are on the best
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 05:16 AM
Strength and Honor

scott's right on mileage. And you should be reserving a good portion (1/2 probably) for a helmet, jacket, gloves, riding pants, boots. The Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Beginner's Course should be the very first thing you should do.

Welcome

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 07:20 AM

1988 Ninja 600R

Assuming it runs decent and has proper maintenance, $1000 isn't bad, even if it is a 20 year old bike. It actually would be a good bike to learn on. When you're ready to buy something newer, you'd probably be able to resell it for what you bought it for.

My first sportbike was a 1986 Ninja 600R and it was absolutely bulletproof. Those bikes can take a beating and keep going.

Good luck!

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information guys, i appreciate it. i have a course lined up in may at a local collage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode