took my first spill tonight - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

took my first spill tonight

I put on about 100 miles today, around town and cruisin out of town to visit a friend. I was about 1/4 mile from the garage, and rounding my last corner at an intersection to go down the road to the garage. taking the left turn, i hit a patch of sand, it threw my tire out to the right, so i threw my left leg down to keep it up, and when it leveled back out, i was going straight towards a curb at about 15mph, so i yanked the front brake and tried to turn away from it so i wouldnt hit straight on if at all.

well, i got to the sand at the edge of the road and down she went. i tumbled off, left wrist hitting first and rolled over a couple times. i had my full suit on, so i'm not cut or scraped, just a little sore from smacking pavement. i think my left wrist and shoulder took it all. i lifted the bike back up, started it and let it run for a minute to make sure it wasnt leaking or anything, and rode it to the garage. looks to be all cosmetic damage, but those cosmetics get expensive

the picture attached is the corner i was taking. the blue line is the line i should have taken, but the red is where i got thrown to by the sand, and where i ended up. (and sorry the drawing sucks, my hands are still a little shakey, for obvious reason)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 01:57 AM
TMP

Glad you are ok.... bikes and plastics are replaceable. It is most dangerous within 5 minutes from you're house. You ride it all the time and tend to kind of slack off. I dumped my bike last spring 3 turns form house at about the same speed. Nothing hurt more than my pride and my plastic ended up with a small battle scar. Had to replace the slider on that side too. Hope you had sliders on there, they save tons of damage. If you didn't they should be your next mod.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 02:33 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Sorry to hear about your spill, and I'm glad you made it out in good shape.

The important thing now is to learn from it, and not do it again!
Plastics aren't cheap, but neither is surgery so consider yourself lucky. And as TMP said, accidents do occur close to home. I had my first wreck pulling out of the driveway, so you can't get much closer than that!

And remember in the future that grabbing a handful of brake and turning the bike at the same time is usually counter-productive.

Good luck getting her fixed back up

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 03:59 AM

cool pic

I like how you use Google earth to demonstrate your crash.
It really gives a sense of "being there."

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 04:19 AM
Super Moderator

Good on ya about the gear. You can find parts for the bike. Not for yourself.

Maybe a little less riding until you hit the class?

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 11:06 AM

Agree that a little bit of grit can send you in to even more crap & after that you are pretty well finished. Thankfully you were with proper riding gear & the bike as only cosmit damage that can be corrected.

Places I always have an eye for bits of grit at the exit/entrances of most fuel stations & more so if the place had a car wash.

Always on the bends especially early in Spring or when there has been a big rain for if you live in hilly country (as I do for I live in the heart of the Cdn Rockie Mtns in Province of B.C.) crap will be washed down to the roads in many places.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 03:56 AM
Strength and Honor

+1 on the gear wearing. And as a general announcement, this is a key reason why we suggest a used bike for starters. The chances of it going down, either riding it or just simply forgetting to put the kickstand down, are pretty high.

Glad you're ok but let us know how the wrist/shoulder are the day after

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 04:27 AM

Glad to hear you've came out ok. Props for great illustration!

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 05:46 AM

Props for being manly enough to post up your crash announcement, especially after everybody on this forum gave you so much heat for getting an R1 for your first bike! Glad you had the gear on and are ok.

Did you happen to have a set of sliders installed?

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxrider View Post
Props for being manly enough to post up your crash announcement, especially after everybody on this forum gave you so much heat for getting an R1 for your first bike! Glad you had the gear on and are ok.

Did you happen to have a set of sliders installed?
no sliders. what really sucked is i was intending on ordering them the monday after the wreck, as soon as my pay check came in. I havent ordered them yet because i've been putting in a little extra research, i figured the damage is already done

the wrist and shoulder are perfectly fine. the shoulder ended up being a little sore in the morning, but was gone by the second day. the day after the wreck, i got back on and rode out of town to work. i knew that if i didnt get back on the horse right away, i'd be intimidated by it whenever the next time i was able to ride came around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode