First Bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

First Bike

Hey guys. I'm 17 and just recently got my motorcycle permit and am scheduled to take the safety course here pretty soon. My question is what bike would you guys recommend for my first? Obviously i've never ridden on the street but i have raced motocross since i was five and have had a dirtbike since i was 3 so i have alot of experience, although i know riding on the street will be different from dirt. Also, my dad owns a Honda/Kawasaki dealership so i'm prolly limited to those two brands. I've been thinking about getting a used CBR600F4 cuz i think the the 600RR is prolly more than i should start with. I was just wondering what you guys think? Thanks in advance for all your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 03:39 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Why not get one of the new Ninja 250s? They are a nice looking bike, small enough to learn on, but fun enough that you won't get bored very quickly.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 04:03 PM

Perfect recommendation.

Smaller bikes are better to start off on. You won't find yourself in a world of trouble with no exit in sight if you make a wrong move on one... like you would if you went with something larger.

Not to mention the fact that, being 17, your insurance cost will be a major part of your decision. a 250R should be reasonable, whereas most ins companies wont even write policies for larger bikes.

My advice is to shoot lower. a 600CC supersport is not even close to a good decision for a new rider.

By the way... welcome to the board!

If you want to save time rather than wait for an answer, there is a search function here, as well. Being a new rider, there is a 99% chance that any questions you want answers to have already been asked before, and you will find some very sound advice among the other threads started by new riders in the past.

Finally, do not forget to budget for riding gear. Helmet, pants, coat, gloves, boots. Very important stuff.

I used to race dirtbikes, and I have been riding since I was 3 as well. Dirt is a good place to start... you know what is what and where the controls are. The rules change drastically when you move to pavement, though. If you go slow, the transition will be a smooth one. Just don't take a bigger bite than you can swallow.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 03:25 AM
Strength and Honor

Check out the stickie postings at the top of the New Riders forum. They have all the starter info you'll need.

And welcome

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help guys. I really appreciate it. I'm not one of those punk kids thats looking to get a super fast sportbike so i can go "look cool in front of my friends". I've spent many miles on two wheels already and i love riding more than anything so now i figure i can double my riding time ... I've had alot of people that work at my dads shop tell me that I would prolly get bored with the 250 pretty quick since i've already got some riding experience but i'm not looking to get in over my head right off the bat. I'm hoping someone that works with my dad maybe has a used bike that i can ride before i actually have to commit to purchasing one. Anyways, thanks again for all your help and any more suggestions are more than welcome.

P.S... i WILL have very reliable riding gear. For motocross i have all the proper gear including a $600 Arai helmet because my dad wants me to be as safe as possible while i'm riding, which is completely understandable. We will not be cheap when it comes to gear. Life is much more valuable than the extra 1000 dollars you decide to spend on getting the proper gear. Thanks again for your help though. Its very much appreciated
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 03:50 AM
Lifetime Premium

Being that your riding experience is on dirt, you will easily adjust to the control aspect of a streetbike. Your main concern is going to be dealing with cagers and their crazy antics.

I don't know that a 250 would get old really quick. I'm not familiar with your area of KY, but I imagine you have a few twisty roads close by, if not many. If that's the case you will probably not get bored with the 250 anytime soon. The reason people normally get bored with bikes has nothing to do with their ability to ride them. Basically, if they get used to the acceleration and/or hit the top speed, they consider that bike boring, and then upgrade. Personally I think that if there's a lot of twisties around you, get a 250 and learn how to tear them up (pace yourself of course) and then show those squids on 600/750/1000 supersports how a bike should be ridden.

As for your gear, money doesn't necessarily equal quality as much as it used to. Don't get me wrong, Arai, Shoei and other high-end helmets are still awesome. However, if the helmet is DOT/Snell (the latter being more important; don't trust the sticker, verify it on their website) approved, it should serve its purpose. I'd recommend trying them all on, and then going with what fits the best.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up doing.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

lol its funny you say that about showing the guys on the bigger bikes how to ride even though i'm on a smaller one because i used to love doing stuff like that when i rode an 85. Alot of times i would race in a 125 class on my 85 and it was obvious that the older guys HATED it when i beat them haha. I agree with what you said about the equiptment too. With the technology and everything we have these days you can get a very good DOT/Snell approved helmet for a good price. I havent tried on many street helmets so i will have to see what fits best but as far as dirt goes i absolutely love the arai helmets. They are very lightweight and i have a small head so the smaller shell fits me very well. I'm really excited about getting to ride soon, although the earliest i was able to get into the MSF course was mid May and Dad doesnt want me riding on the road before i take the course, which is understandable. I'll keep you guys posted as far as what bike i get and everything though. Thanks again for all your help.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys. It's been a while since i've posted on this thread but i said i would keep you guys posted and i've finally got some good news. This past weekend i took my MSF course and as i walked in to our garage after returning from the last day of the course i saw a blue and black F4i sitting right next to my dad's goldwing. Words can't describe how excited i was. Its an 06 that my dad bought from a buddy of his who bought the bike brand new but just didnt have time to ride it. This bike has less than 1200 miles on it and with the exception of a couple minors scratches is in mint condition. Dad bought it from the guys for $4000 even. Me and dad got to ride for the first time today and i absolutely fell in love with this bike. It handles great and has alot of power without being overwhelming. Anyways, i just thought i'd fill you guys in. I'm PUMPED!!!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 05:19 AM
Lifetime Premium

Awesome!! Have fun on the new bike, stay safe!

-Will Rogers
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 07:53 AM

WOW! Congrats on the new bike. And congrats on having such a cool dad.

Be careful out there!

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode