Looking for advice on a new Sports bike. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Looking for advice on a new Sports bike.

Hey guys. I've been riding for about 7 months now and finally like to upgrade my bike but really don't know what sort of thing to be looking for.

My current bike is a ZXR 750 (ZX7 in the US). It's about 17 years old now, 1991 J1 model. But it's my first bike and dispite it's age I still love it dearly.

I'd like to get something from the 96-2000 era and I have about 2000 to 2500 (about 4800 USD) to spend on something nice (second user obvisouly)

Since this is the only bike I've owned I'm not familiar with anything else really. I'll give a list of what I am after and what I like and dislike about my current bike to aid anyone kind enough to offer their advice.

My ZXR is great, its quick, very realiable and feels very stable but she's old and feels top heavy at anything under 40 mph and because of it's age it's getting harder to maintain it and keep it in top condition (which it was far from when I bought it. bone dry with no oil )

I've never road anything else sport bike wise so don't know what to go for or what I'm looking for really. I sat on my friends 96 ZX7R and though on paper it's heavier than mine it felt far more balanced and more able to chuck through the corners easier.

The only thing I know is I'd like to stick to the 750 cc area it seems the sweet spot for me. Wouldn't mind getting up to a 900 or likewise dropping down to 600cc but I think 750 is where it's at.

If you've got this far reading, thanks. Now any advice?

THanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 03:37 AM
Strength and Honor

You left out the kind of riding you like to do. Are you doing any track time or is this all public road riding? If you're not on the track, then getting an inline engine might not be up your alley (power at higher revs, effectively).

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

THanks for the reply. No I don't do track at all, I ride daily to work believe it or not and tear it up big time on the weekends with mates.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 05:01 AM
Strength and Honor

I know there are European options I'll be ignoring simply because I don't know they exist and ones I'll suggest might not exist in your area, so please keep in mind I'm coming from a US-biased angle.

The only 750 I can think of is the GSXR-750, which is an inline engine and a race replica. Doesn't really fit with what you're looking for, IMO. You've named one I'm not familiar with, sorry.

Others:
Honda F4i (600cc)
Honda Interceptor (780cc)
Suzuki SV650S (650cc)
Kawasaki 650R (650cc)
Ducati Monster

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post
I know there are European options I'll be ignoring simply because I don't know they exist and ones I'll suggest might not exist in your area, so please keep in mind I'm coming from a US-biased angle.

The only 750 I can think of is the GSXR-750, which is an inline engine and a race replica. Doesn't really fit with what you're looking for, IMO. You've named one I'm not familiar with, sorry.

Others:
Honda F4i (600cc)
Honda Interceptor (780cc)
Suzuki SV650S (650cc)
Kawasaki 650R (650cc)
Ducati Monster
Again thanks, I'm really looking for a sport bike and preferably Japanese. This is my current one, However mines the 750 not 400 vers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode