First bike choice. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

First bike choice.

Hi i have been reading alot of stuff on many forums and i was wondering i am a pretty big guy 6'1 250lbs and was thinking that everyone says to start off on a smaller bike like a 250 or a 500 but i don't know if it will have enough power to lug me around i also want a sportbike but can't really afford to get one smaller one now and a big one later if i get a bike it will have to last me like 3 or 4 years and i don't want to get bored on a small bike and not be able to move up for years. I also drive stick so i get the concept and i can learn to ride a little bit on my girlfriends dads bike (Honda 450) do you guys think getting a 600 is too much bike for me to learn on and enjoy for like 4 years?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 06:47 PM

I was recently in the same boat as you are in now. I wanted to get a bike and knew I could not afford a small one now and a bigger one later so I choose a 04 r6.

Now age and maturity will come into play here. I 500 will scoot you around just fine but it will surely get boring after a year or so. I am only 5'8 and 185lbs so I'm sure you could handle a 600 IF you can resist the urge to push it past your riding limit.

My R6 is the first street bike I have ever ridin and I caught a bunch of crap from people on these forums for getting a race bike as my learner, but I am 31 with a wife and kids and can (for the most part) control myself and not end up dead.

I would get a 600 if I were you, but first I would ask myself a couple questions like....
?#1 Can I ride off slowly (and sissy like) away from a group of my friends who are yellin for my to do a burnout or a wheelie even though I know I'll get picked on for riding like a girl? (no offense ladies)

? #2. Take a look at your driving record, how many speeding tickets or street racing ticket do you have? What about DUI's? (the quickest way to kill yourself on a bike)

?#3 Did you buy your gear first? This sounds a bit silly but if you are serious about ridin' safe, you have at least a helmet in hand before you get the bike, because other wise you WILL ride it without one and who knows what could happen even just out in front of your house.

I have a couple buddies that could handle my bike with no problems (6'5 300+lbs) hell he could probably pick it up one handed, but I will never let him on it cause he’s always in trouble for speeding or fighting and these are not the type of people we need on the roads representing the rest of us.

I know I have rambled way too long but you asked and I had a lot to say so, I hope you listen and choose your ride of freedom wisely.

Last edited by 5dirty; 03-26-2008 at 06:54 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. I will be going to a motorcycle show in 2 weeks where i hope to at min buy my helmet and jacket. but hope to get my gloves and some proper boots too. then i am taking a motorcycle course then i am going to buy a bike. i don't think i will be riding around anybody i know or has riden before so there will be no peer pressure to try anything stupid and i can take it slow i want to learn how to be safe before i even think about fast. Thanks alot for your comments i just don't want to enjoy riding a motorcycle. i have been dreaming about it now for awhile.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 03:50 PM

go to the show, try stuff on figure out what size fits you in what brand, go home, buy stuff on ebay and save a fortune, send me 10% of what you saved cause you owe me
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 03:35 AM
Strength and Honor

I disagree with poster #2. Read this forum's stickies, they apply to the 99% and you're in that group. If you're concerned about your weight, stick with either a 500 (which hold value VERY well), an SV650, 650R, or Honda F2 or F3. Take the MSF BEFORE you buy a bike and gear.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 05:23 PM

Kanwisch is right the sv 650s is a pretty sweet bike plenty of power but a less likely to kill yourself on, though it will still be fairly easy to do. I hear alot of the front end suspension/steering is compatable between the 650s and the gixxers so you could always upgrade that and throw on a set of fairing and have a real nice bike out of it.

As I said many dissagree with my logic on a bigger bike as your first and they are probably right in the long run I'm sure I'll go down at some point and have to say "Okay you were right" and at that time I will do that. Meanwhile I'll politely listen to what they have to say and try not to crash.
I'm not a big squid but maybe more like a jellyfish or something more along those lines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode