im still having issues killing at stop lights - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

im still having issues killing at stop lights

I live in minnesota, so i've only had the chance to get out and ride maybe 5 days with half way decent weather. When i'm at a stop light or stop sign, and there's no one around, i'm perfectly fine taking off really slow from a dead stop, but when i'm in traffic and cars sitting behind me at a light, i try to take off a little quicker so no one gets right up on my ass, and as a result i've killed it a few times doing that.

we just got more snow, so i cant take the bike out and practice to figure out what i'm doing wrong, so i wanted to ask and see if i could get an idea of what im doing wrong, so when i do get a chance to get out i'll have an idea of how to correct my problem.

I ride an R1, if it makes a difference. i know where when letting the clutch out it starts to catch and pull forward, no problem with that. i'm pretty sure every time i've killed it, i've been giving it a little gas as i let the clutch out. should i be letting the clutch out a decent amount to get me rolling BEFORE i start giving it gas?

thanks, much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 05:24 PM

if you let the clutch out too quick you'll kill it or flip it (if your heavy on the throttle). Practice makes perfect
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 08:22 PM

Not meaning to come off harsh or anything since I haven't been following any of your other posts but.. are you a new rider? If so... you are seriously learning on an R1?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX6R1033 View Post
Not meaning to come off harsh or anything since I haven't been following any of your other posts but.. are you a new rider? If so... you are seriously learning on an R1?
yessir, learning on an R1 other than the 3 times i've killed it at a stop light in the 10 hours i've put on already, i've been doing quite well.

i could have been letting the clutch out too fast, that was probably my problem, i dunno. i dont think it was because i was heavy on the throttle though. when i say i gave it gas to get going quicker, i held it at ~2-3krpms.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 04:55 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to DemonRR
Quote:
Originally Posted by joegibs View Post
yessir, learning on an R1 other than the 3 times i've killed it at a stop light in the 10 hours i've put on already, i've been doing quite well.

i could have been letting the clutch out too fast, that was probably my problem, i dunno. i dont think it was because i was heavy on the throttle though. when i say i gave it gas to get going quicker, i held it at ~2-3krpms.
wow, be careful on the R1. that bike has some sick azz power for a beginner.

try this. reving the motor to 2-3k at take off is ok. try feathering or riding the clutch a little longer when taking off. you can actually rev a little bit higher like at 3k to 3.5k. i wouldnt rev past 3.5k as too much revs and clutching it will bring the front end up. dont worry about the other cars when taking off from a light. fak them. just concentrate and do your thing. its better to take off slow and easy, than flip and wad your bike from being in a hurry or pull an accidential wheelie.

id suggest taking the msf course, and then going to a large empty parking lot and practice taking off froma stop. practice makes perfect. and congrats on the R1. thats one hell of a nice bike. my buddy has an 04 R1, which i rode when i had my older 1997 F3 600 cbr. i rode his R1 1x and immediately sold my F3 2 weeks later and bought my 1000rr.

Redline Superbike Member

2004 Honda CBR 1000rr WSBK TenKate Hann Spree race replica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

i made enough space in the garage today to do a little testing, since this snow looks like it'll be here for a few more days at least. i think i was just letting the clutch out too fast. i tried getting going just on clutch, and intentionally letting it out too fast, and found out just how fast it has to be let out to kill. I also tried using some throttle, right around 3k, and got a little better feel using throttle from a stop. as soon as it gets nice out again, ill be visiting a large parking lot to get some more practice with it.

also plan on attending the first MSF course available this season.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 11:01 AM

This is only natural for you are a newbie trying to learn on one of the fastest trotting bikes in the market. Go back to your first request & not those that have your a lot of warning or what as a more sensible bike to learn on.

Once you have, sort of dominated, the clutch & throttle problem a LOT more will turn up to give you trouble & good chance you will be landing on the pavement with your ear.

I have 61 yrs of riding experience (been in the m/c business on & off for some 40 yrs) so I have delt with a lot of people like you. Even on one make/model of m/c, the 1000cc V-twin Vincent HRD, WE would only sell it to well experienced riders that road sensible & we felt would handle the Vincent well though often we would not sell to some with just a few yrs of experience & were sort of radical riders or riders we knew this bike was to much.

Mind you one of out customers with a used 500cc OHV single road some miles to another city to buy the same bike. Just as he was getting out of the city, I guess he turned up the throttle to much to loose the control & ended up in the ditch, on the opposit side of the road, with a compound leg fracture & some internal injuries.

He never rode after that & here is the doozer for the 500cc he had was with around 25hp at the crank & the Vincent HRD 1000 he purchased only had 49hp so a lot more then his 500cc yet a 500cc parallel twin such as from Suzy or Kawasaki now has around 50hp & your 1000cc is purnching out around 150hp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Smitty; 03-24-2008 at 11:07 AM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 06:56 PM

if your riding an R1..you should NOT be stalling the bike out.

from what i've read its killing because your bogging it down to much. (not enough gas).

try feathering the clutch on take off. just let it out smooth and slow.
and watch your rpms...when letting out the clutch..use the throttle to keep your rmps up. it wont kill then.....ever
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 03:05 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Stupid question, joegibs: can you drive a car that has a manual transmission?

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesht View Post
Stupid question, joegibs: can you drive a car that has a manual transmission?
yessir. as far as i can tell, it's more or less the same thing, just different hands/feet for each action of the process.

i think i was just letting the clutch out too fast. either way, ill be suiting up in about a half hour to go find a parking lot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode