Saving up for first bike... but which bike? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Saving up for first bike... but which bike?

So I've been saving up money for my first bike... but I won't be getting one until November. Early to mid November. By that time I will have saved around 6,000 or 6,500... somewhere around there. And I'm trying to figure out what it is exactly that I am saving for. I love the styling of Gixxers... and Hyabusa's and such... but I'm not going to get any more than 600cc.... I know I wouldn't be able to control it.

So my choices are limited. I've looked at the Ninja's.. but the high handlebars kind of bug me... they aren't quite sporty enough. So what are the choices I have. Like I said... I like the look of a Gixxer... but I don't know what kind of bike I can get that is cheap enough, small enough (600cc or less), and has the same styling as the aforementioned bikes. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 01:56 PM

Let me be the first to direct you to the stickies in the new riders section. There really is some good advice in there. You will drop your bike while you're learning, so why start with a new one? Get a used beater that won't make you sick when you drop it, then move up later. Ninja 250 or 500 are my suggestions. Used ones hardly depreciate, so you can sell them for about what you paid for them, plus have all that experience.

-
"We didn't trade shoves; I did all the shoving." -Bobby Knight, 1981
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 04:14 PM

The Ninja's are good. I've heard the 250 is a bit small for the interstate though.

I'm getting a Suzuki SV650s for my first bike. From what I'm told it is THE starter bike. It's a 2000 and the guy is asking 2300 for it.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 08:26 PM

Looks like you are looking at and will be comfortable with a 600 and you want something in a race style bike rather than a more upright sitting sport-bike.

Are you planning to buy new? Are you planning to get something that will cost a total of $6,500 or are you using the $6,500 as a down-payment, because that would be a great down-payment towards the Gixxer 600 which would be around $9,000 new, not including taxes and other fees. I have a Ninja ZXR6. I also tried a Gixxer and really didn't find that much difference in handlebar position between the two. But then the Gixxer was an '03 and my ZX6R is an '07.
If you like low bars where you have to lean more forward, you may like the new models of Honda CBRs, which are pretty much Suzuki Gixxers mechanically and in looks.
I personally liked the cleaner look and solid color of the Kawasaki Ninjas myself and the way my legs fit against the sides and one of the reasons I chose it over the others.

If you are interested in starting on a 250, you may like the Ninja 250. It lists at $4K, so you could pay it off cash with your $6,500

You can probably find a decent used Gixxer or something at a dealer for around $6,500.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I don't want to owe anything on it, so it would have to be 6,500 alltogether. I will be doing a lot of interstate driving... so I think that the 250 will be a bit small. I'll check into the CBRs, and check into some used gixxers. Having never ridden a bike before, (my MSF course in April will be my first time ever), do you think it's wise to check out Gixxers? I hear their pretty mean.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 04:05 AM
Strength and Honor

No, GSXRs should not be on your list. Please read stickie threads at the top of this forum.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 05:48 AM

The Suzuki SV-650S is the bike for you. Fits your budget and your
(in)experience level.

Don't forget to budget for your riding gear, (helmet, jacket, boots, etc.). Figure $800 minimum for that.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 11:40 AM

If you do not have enough money for the SV-650 or the 650 Ninja AND protective riding gear then allow me to suggest the Suzy GS500 or the 500cc Kawasaki as both are within pennies of each other in price. Ideal bikes to learn on for their take-off is faster then most cages at the stop sign & can scoot you up to around 90mph or a bit more.

Still best thing, before you buy, is to take the MSF Course & THEN start to think of what you would like to ride & your money to include the bike & proctive gear.

To the surprise of you & other newbies some of us have been trying to help newbies for some time & in my case I was doing this way back in 1947 as I was part owner & mechanic of a m/c shop plus into dirt comp for several years. Yes 61 yrs of riding so have seen a lot of first time riders in my riding years.

Last edited by Smitty; 03-18-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode