Sportbike World banner

Stupid Question

4K views 25 replies 5 participants last post by  RepsolKid 
#1 ·
Yeah I know this a really stupid question, but we have to start somewhere..

How do you accelerate quickly? You know like when you need in a lane, and youre stopped at railway gates and they go up.. you accelerate quick to get infront of the first car.. or when you are overtaking.. just wanted to know :cool:

Cheers

Steve

#2 ·
punch in the lowest gear possible and twist the throttle open... That ussually provides considerably more acceleration than you need to deal with any traffic scenario...

In fact, I find the harder part of overtaking vehicles with limited room is not the accelerating past them part, but slowing back down if you have limited room to do so. Like say if you are stuck behind 30 vehicles going 55 down a very twisty road and have to pass them 2-3 at a time.

#3 ·
Vash said:
punch in the lowest gear possible and twist the throttle open... .
Meaning when youre sitting in neutral.. rev it up and gear to first.. then stay in first? Or when riding in like thrid.. drop down to first? I dont really understand what you mean by punch in the lowest gear :confused: im not very educated with bike terminology yet but im getting there :D

Steve

#4 ·
Ok, I see what you are asking.. I was abit confused by the question.

Shift first, throttle afterwords. When you get comfortable with it, you can do both at the same time, but you are saving fraction of a second this way.
So if you are stopped somewhere and know that you will have to take off fast, you should pull in the clutch shift to first before the light turns green. Then you have to give it gas and let go of the clutch at the same time.
This is not a drag race, so your best strategy is to give it just enough gas so that you can release the clutch fully without bogging down, and then open the throttle. Less chance of looping it that way, and it sould be plenty fast for anything you'll need, short of a race.

You should memmorize at approx what speed the engine redlines in each gear. For my bike its 1st-100mph,2nd-120mph,3rd-140mph. Yours is probably different. You never ever ever EVER want to downshift too far, placing your engine speed to above redline. Rev limiter cannot help you then, and you will bend your valves.
So say you are going in third at say 50mph. you need to pass someone in a tight spot. If your bike is equiped with a slipper, close the throttle as you pull the clutch in about half way, tap the lever to first, dump the clutch, and open the throttle about 70%. That should get you shooting out there like a rocket.
If your bike does not have a slipper, it gets a touch more complicated. Pull in the clutch all the way, and as you are tapping on gear lever, give the engine enough gas to get the rpm to where you think they are going to be once the clutch is release. then release the clutch and open the throttle. Its called bleeping the throttle, the reason you want to do that is that otherwise the engine compression will lock up your rear tire. If you want to see what that feels like, pick a nice streight road, start in first, and dont shift, just keep going faster untill you are only a few thouthand rpm from redline (Should be going 60-90mph). Then pull in the clutch, close the throttle, and just sort of cruise for a few seconds.. your speed shouldnt drop much, but the engine will slow down to idle.
Then make sure you got a good grip on the bars, and just dump the clutch. Your rear tire will lock up, most likely slide about a foot to the side, then fishtail for a bit. Its nothing too bad if you are ready for it, but if you are not it can easily throw you over.

Hope that helps.. In short just go practice...

#5 ·
wow.. nice explanation.. a bit confused still with the terms, but im sure I will practice and work it out. I dont think ill be hitting them speeds considering im on a CBR125.. maxs out at somewhere around 75mph. Plenty for me, believe me.

So Clutch into first, stay on clutch and keep a few revs going.. then start moving.. let go fully of clutch and full throttle until im up at around 10,000rpm (i think) and would that be accelerating fast? Or do I need to then clutch in and take it up to second?

Sorry for the amateur questions but you seem like you know your shit so figured I could ask you about it :thumb: :)

Its basically a dummys answer to how to acclerate quick.. using terminology that non-bikers would understand lol..

Steve

#6 ·
thats right, I forgot you got the 125.... you should really post some pics...

Most engines make more power as the revs get higher, making peak power at just a touch below red line. Of course, more power means more acceleration. So if you want to be going really fast, you need to shift very very late.

#7 ·
Try this, on some streight and safe road you can practice on.

Accelerate from first to 4th gear, shifting as early as you are comfortable with. Then do it again while shifting as late as you can. You should feel the difference right away.

#8 ·
Im cleaning it on Sunday and putting on some trim tape (orange) then I will hop on and get dad to take a few pics.. then ill post them on here and see what you all think.

So basically im riding normally.. need to get into a lane.. starting from stopped, get into first gear, open up the throttle, rev it to close to max before redline.. when about there change to second gear and I should get a quick boost?

If so, that has been great help you have given and very much appreciated. +1 to Vash for dealing with the rookie.

Steve

#9 ·
Vash said:
Try this, on some streight and safe road you can practice on.

Accelerate from first to 4th gear, shifting as early as you are comfortable with. Then do it again while shifting as late as you can. You should feel the difference right away.
Ahhh ok. Hopefully get round to that on Sunday or sometime soon when I get out for some practice.. need to keep it discreet considering im not eligible until April!!!

Ahh!! Cant wait!! I know people probably think im one of those squids who has a bike to look cool or whatever.. its purely for the fact that I love bikes, I go to any show, motoGP event or anything to do with them.. sorry slighlty off topic but wanted to clear that up!

Steve

#10 ·
Thats basically right... the biggest boost is actually going to be before you shift.
The trick part is when you release the clutch when you first take off. Too early and you stall the engine. Too late and you flip (well, maybe not on a 125.. but who knows). Too quick and you either stall or flip. Too slow and you are just burning your clutch while not going very fast... it will come with expirience.

#11 ·
RepsolKid said:
Ahhh ok. Hopefully get round to that on Sunday or sometime soon when I get out for some practice.. need to keep it discreet considering im not eligible until April!!!

Ahh!! Cant wait!! I know people probably think im one of those squids who has a bike to look cool or whatever.. its purely for the fact that I love bikes, I go to any show, motoGP event or anything to do with them.. sorry slighlty off topic but wanted to clear that up!

Steve
no worries, most squids around here get gixxer1k for their first bike...

#12 ·
Vash said:
I was out last weekend and hit 40-45mph and that was plenty for me considering it was like my second time ever riding a bike.

Good point on the experience.. I look forward to my next ride and letting you know how things went..

Steve

#13 ·
If you really have that little expirience, I suggest you find a large empty parking lot. Practice taking off, slowing down, turning. Get the basics down before you ever have to deal with other traffic.

That and if the parking lot is private property, than no one can say a thing about you riding without your liscence (well at least in the states they cant)

#14 ·
I see you're a new rider. Be patient, it will come. And ALWAYS keep your brain one step ahead of the throttle, one step ahead of the circumstance you're in. You can't have fun riding if you or your equipment is fubared.;)

If you play it right, you've got a LOT of years of fun ahead of you. That from a 37 year rider who ain't NEARLY done yet. Good luck to you!:thumb:

#16 · (Edited)
Vash said:
+1

And better to ask and then try the exercises recommended than to just guess on your own sometimes.

EDIT: BTW, this is not really a stupid question. I usually reserve that title for time-honored questions that have been repeatedly answered. Do research before posting a question to make sure you're not re-asking something that has been beaten silly.

EDIT2: Have you taken a rider training course yet? If not, you ought look into finding one :thumb:

#17 ·
kanwisch said:

EDIT2: Have you taken a rider training course yet? If not, you ought look into finding one :thumb:
Nope, I havnt yet got my license, only sitting on a provisional as over here you have to be 17 to go for your actual license... thats why im just practicing in car parks/old roads meanwhile.

Steve

#18 · (Edited)
RepsolKid the thing to do is take the MSF Course & they will teach a maze of things to you in those three days. So many of them will be things that will help your survive amongst the craze cage drivers that do not see us, balance & so much more. In some states said course is a MUST if you want a m/c DL.

No question is a "stupid question" when it comes to riding m/cs, but the MSF Course will give you the basics plus you will start to pick up the lingo we riders tend to use if you stick on this board or even a 2nd board. I am on six m/c boards plus info from England about the Isle of Man TT plus Scottish Six Days Trials plus I can comment on their boards as well.

If you are thinking about a 2nd board then you might pick up info about the board & best thing to do is dial it in, do not register, & get to know if this is a decent group then you can consider if you want to become a registered member. This is one of the better American boards, for look at the quick & sensible response rather then nothing or razzing you for having a 125cc bike.

#19 ·
oh cool. I realised this was an American board, but I cant find a good decent board from the UK, so I might just stick with this one, and be the foreign kid. Haha.

Over here, you have to be riding a 125cc or less for two years before you can up to any bigger bike, so 125 is the max until you are atleast 19, possibly older. If you are 21 you can immediately take a test that enables you for any cc of bike, but ill be on this one until I am 19.

Steve

#20 ·
Opps my error in that I did not read to the left & noticed you are from Ireland. So the MSF Course is an American thing.

I was baffled a bit when you stated one had to be 17 yrs of age & in '46 when 16 yrs of age I was riding/driving & when 17 yrs of age I was into tough & rough Dirt Hill Climbing plus flat tracking with the latter being a bit like Speedway though on 1/2 mile to one mile dirt ovals much like a horse racing track.

Sorry for that error, but put it down to the fact that I am an old one of 76+ yrs of age (three sportbikes in my garage waiting for Spring & riding season) so tend to miss some things.

#21 ·
Hey its all good. :) Thanks for the input anyway.. we have some courses like that over here, a CBT course I think is something similar. Dad is in the IAM (Institute of Advanced Motorists) so he can show me some things but the more help the better. :thumb:

Steve

#22 ·
Hey this isnt an american board, its just american based..

Smitty is canadian, Cookie is australian, we got a few members in japan, south africa, france, and who knows where else.

Your truly is a russian/israeli/texan mutt.

#25 ·
I fully agree with you Dad. Just goes to show that said teen-age kids to those in their early 20s do not respect us with our year & years of riding experience. LOL

Just kidding you RepsolKid so feel free to ask questions or comment on this board. After all as a Canadian I am on the board & so are others from other parts of the world.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.