Shifting - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Question Shifting

Finally got some good riding time in today since it was 30, and not 20 out, I was able to move up to higher speeds without freezing my ass off as quick (55 mph). Few questions. First, what is a good shift point if my bike has a 13200 rpm redline. Second, could someone explain downshifting to me, I figure its better to sound like a noob than trash my clutch/tranny. The few times I tried I either A) got a wobble and a bad noise (reved to high) or B) slowed down way to much. Would like to know the proper procedure. Third and last question. When shifting from first to second, my bike kinda catches in neutral, should I just give it a swift click up, or two clicks, one for neutral, one for second. Thanks in advance for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 04:32 PM

Shift where ever you feel comfortable. For normal street riding, 4000-5000 works. I putts around at 3000 at times. But the faster you want to accelerate the later you shift.

Downshifting? For puttsing around the street, when you're rpm's start dropping lower than you want, pull in the clutch, shift down, and slowly let out the clutch (just in case you're not donig a good job matching engine speed). Yeah, that's the other thing, you want to anticipate your engine speed. I don't roll all the way off the throttle, I leave it cracked just a bit.

For high speed, it gets a bit more complicated. You can still use the same technique, but matching engine speed is more important. Pull the clutch in, blip the throttle, and let the clutch back out. It take spractice. I wouldn't worry about that just yet.

If you're "catching in neutral", assuming there's nothing wrong with the bike, just push a little harder. It should be one upshift from first to second.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 04:50 PM

My '98 had the same shift problem. 1st to 2nd is a longer pull than 2nd to 3rd and so on. Just pull it up the extra inch.

-M-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode