Riding new bike home - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Riding new bike home

i am in the first stages of preparing to get a new bike. I plan on taking a safety course or two prior to getting my license. But if I buy a bike to go to these courses before I really know how to ride is that a problem? I have a general idea, but if i were to buy a bike tomorrow I would'nt be comfortable riding it through traffic home and to my first day or two of the instructional course. What do people generally do?

Becky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 02:44 AM

I would say load it up onto a truck, and unload it at your home. iirc, most MSF courses do not allow you to bring your own bike anyway.

They supply you with one, As far as not being comfortable goes. Wait until you take the course, they teach you everything you need to know to hop on it and ride it. Ive seen people go from "which is the clutch?" to having the confidence to ride with traffic and all around after finishing the course.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 05:29 AM

Like sobe mentioned the beginers MSF course provides a bike. So you dont have to wait to take one
If you arent comfortable by the time you purchase one, you could trailer it, or convince the dealership to drop it off at your house for you, many will be happy to do that.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 06:56 AM

I agree with SoBe and Vash. Take the course first then get the bike. As far as delivery, most dealerships will drop it off for your for a small fee. I bought my bike from a person and I got him to drive it to my house which was an hour away. Most people are pretty nice about stuff like that.

Sepias
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 02:34 PM

I did exactly what these guys are saying. Without ever having ridden a bike before, I bought one, then trailered it home.

I spent a week learning how to ride it (I had a basic understanding) in my PADDOCK, then on a back-country road.

I did a course a week later and passed with flying colours.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 05:37 PM

Dealership dropped mine off at my house for me, however I took it out for a ride 2 minutes after he left .
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 06:39 PM

The salesman was happy to ride my first one home for me.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 04:36 PM

If you know someone that's been riding for years, and you trust them, they can ride it home for you. Did that with my first one.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 04:37 PM

When I got my bike I bought some ratcheting tie down straps and a ramp and the guys at the dealership got it up in the bed of my truck, and when i got home I asked a few friends to come over to help me get it out (had to bribe them with beer though). We got it out started it up and stood around drinking in aw of the sound of the motor. No oe atempted to ride it cause none of us had a liscence. In fact I think i had it for about a month before I felt comfortable going in really slow circles in my driveway, and then I took it out on the road with my mom's husband. I cant wait to take the MSF course this spring, so that I can ride whenever I want to.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 11:30 AM

I would think having someone trusting riding the bike home for you would be the way to go. If you do that you would be able to get comfortable with the bike in your neighborhood before going out on the main roads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode